Metroplex
Sponsored by

Relo to Grand Prairie Area?

5,753 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JonSnow
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Advice is appreciated. Job would be in north part of Grand Prairie. Don't mind a commute but hopefully under a half hour. Only really worried about high school. Would like a neighborhood with kids in an area with activities. Prefer not a new development. Budget is 600-700k. Any suggestions?
cadetjay02
AG
Frisco! Just kidding, I would look at with Colleyville or Flower Mound with that budget.
flyingaggie12
AG
Just a heads up the market here in flower mound/Colleyville is absolutely on fire. Majority of listings with multiple offer situations (7+ offers). Buyers paying for title, guaranteeing appraisals, and other concessions. At that price point competition shouldn't be as fierce but I bet it's still tough.
riverrataggie
AG
30 minutes is tough. I'd look south or into Arlington.

Unless you wanna drop a million+
FC12
Oof. Not a fan of GP or any of the Arlington area around I-30. I would look north (Flower Mound, Coppell, Grapevine, Colleyville...maybe stretch it to Roanoke...
_lefraud_
AG
Public school?

Colleyville/Grapevine or even Southlake with that budget...but it will be tough.

Mansfield Lakeridge would be a good option (20ish minutes). Down 360 (toll) and West of Joe Pool Lake.

Midlothian High or Midlothian Heritage would be another option, but another 15 or 20min down 360/287 (from Mansfield).
mAgnoliAg
AG
Grapevine
aggie_wes
AG
I'd look at grapevine, Mansfield, or Midlothian.
agchino
AG
I make it from Colleyville to South GP in 30 minutes. North GP would be no problem from GV, CV or Southlake. $700k would get you something pretty good.

FloMo would be a stretch for 30 minutes but depends how far north in GP
smc05
I would look at the southern part of Grapevine along 121.
wbt5845
AG
North Arlington will be an easy commute and Lamar is a great school.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Colleyville might be a good option as mentioned above.

Not sure if you already have an agent, but if you do not I'd love to help. I've had some amazing Ag clients from these boards in my 10+ years as a TexAgs sponsor.

You can email or call -- Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com or 972-365-0432.

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Cramp00
Congrats on the new gig. Lockheed or The Wax Museum?
gigem70
AG
West Arlington, Mansfield, Midlothian
Log
AG
wbt5845 said:

My Alma Mater. VFND!

Grew up in the Tarrant County side of GP, just west of Carrier and north of I-30, so Arlington schools. Same area is still solid, since it is a bit insulated compared to the rest of GP. Not much transient/short-term housing in that section of town. Good, solid older houses along with some newer construction.
HarleySpoon
AG
Log said:

wbt5845 said:

My Alma Mater. VFND!

Grew up in the Tarrant County side of GP, just west of Carrier and north of I-30, so Arlington schools. Same area is still solid, since it is a bit insulated compared to the rest of GP. Not much transient/short-term housing in that section of town. Good, solid older houses along with some newer construction.
International Estates or Nottingham?
Log
AG
Nottingham.
HarleySpoon
AG
Grew up in central GP ghettos. Nice area are and nice folks in Nottingham still. Probably a dozen years older than you....
Carlo4
AG
I'm a traffic engineer. Keep in mind traffic patterns have changed since COVID and are somewhat normalizing. We will know more post Labor Day as schools start in person, but our observations...

-AM peak has been very light for the last 6 months. Kids at home, so a parent stays at home or is there permanently.
-PM peak isn't as bad, but can be at times.
-Offpeak/lunch has increased quite a bit. Everyone is at home and takes breaks/run errands during the day. However, the road network can handle it.

This will eventually go back to the normalcy of bad AM/PM peaks once a vaccine is introduced and life can get back to normal. What might be a 25 min drive now might be an extra 15-30 min a year from now, depending on the area.

I would say to work with your real estate agent on those particular areas of interest and see if the traffic patterns have changed dramatically.

Example - traffic normally is bad on highways driving west to East from FW to Dallas in the AM and reverse in the PM. It's also bad north to south in AM and reverse in PM. It hasn't been the case lately.
CapCityAg89
AG
Whelp. Took the job. Also - we did a tour of the areas mentioned. We liked the area around the Southlake HS (9-10 grade) and NE Colleyville.

As an added complexity, my daughter (virtual 8th grade for this year) has tested at 99th percentile on aptitude assessments so we're very concerned with gifted programs. CGISD seems good as does Southlake but real world experience would be great to hear. My wife is a intrigued by the Gifted school in south Dallas but I'm not sure where we'd love.

Oh. And the Mid-Cities is crazy big. A bit overwhelming honestly. Thanks again for the help.
powerbelly
AG
The DISD magnet schools (especially the TAG school) are literally some of the best schools in the country.

You obviously have to test to get in and if you don't you would be stuck with DISD normal schools.

rebag00
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Whelp. Took the job. Also - we did a tour of the areas mentioned. We liked the area around the Southlake HS (9-10 grade) and NE Colleyville.

As an added complexity, my daughter (virtual 8th grade for this year) has tested at 99th percentile on aptitude assessments so we're very concerned with gifted programs. CGISD seems good as does Southlake but real world experience would be great to hear. My wife is a intrigued by the Gifted school in south Dallas but I'm not sure where we'd love.

Oh. And the Mid-Cities is crazy big. A bit overwhelming honestly. Thanks again for the help.
Check out Irma Rangel Young Women's Leadership Academy. It's DISD, but they are also funded and steered by an outside organization of women's schools. You have to test and there has to be a spot (they have 6-12 in the same building, its about 100 girls per class for Jr. High and typically 80-90 per class for High School). It is a great program, like a private school you don't pay for. Its in Fair Park, but they have busses that run throughout the county. Great teachers and staff. It is still a part of DISD, so you have to deal with their ineptitude at times, but besides that it has been great for my kiddo.

Austintm
CapCityAg89 said:

That's a long-a** time to be on a bus or in a car to get to south Dallas.
Troy91
AG
We live in Mansfield.

Two sons at Mansfield Legacy with one graduated and the other a senior. My wife teaches in Mansfield ISD.

I would look at Joe Pool Lake area if you want to be close to Grand Prairie and expand into the rest of Mansfield.

A lot of people fill up the Mid Cities area and they usually leave it to go to work and come back. Traffic is insane when everything is open.
agchino
AG
If he's living at Joe Pool and commuting to North Grand Prairie, he's going to be sitting in traffic every morning and evening. I live in Colleyville and commute to South Grand Prairie and it is a reverse commute from that perspective. I'm going opposite the traffic each way.
CapCityAg89
AG
This is good info. I was wondering. I figured it was "live in burbs; work down town". When I was in Austin, this lived central and worked north - reverse commute is nice.
CapCityAg89
AG
powerbelly said:

The DISD magnet schools (especially the TAG school) are literally some of the best schools in the country.

You obviously have to test to get in and if you don't you would be stuck with DISD normal schools.

Yep. A bit of a concern but she tests really well. I'm more concerned about me. I'm planning to be there 15 years or so and retire. I'm not sure I want that to be in West Dallas.
agchino
AG
GCISD has a GT campus and also some kind of academy, as well as a partnership with Tarrant County College in Hurst depending on what kind of program you are looking for.
CapCityAg89
AG
agchino said:

GCISD has a GT campus and also some kind of academy, as well as a partnership with Tarrant County College in Hurst depending on what kind of program you are looking for.
Yep. We saw that. My wife spoke with them on the phone, but we couldn't visit during our trip down (sigh). Thank you! Do you have experience with the program?
John Francis Donaghy
Another thing to consider is where your kids might want to go to college. If they're dead-set on UT Austin or A&M College Station, it can be an uphill battle to get in if your kid isn't in the top 10% (I think top 8% for UT now) of their class, just by virtue of having to compete for a limited number of merit admit spots. And for an elite high school full of top quality students, that's going to end up being the case for 90+% of the graduating students even though they'd all probably be top 5% or 10% at other schools. No sense setting your kid up for a higher risk of dashed dreams if all they want is UT or A&M main campuses.

If your kids are looking more for towards private or out of state options then these elite high schools start to look like a much better option IMO.
Kellso
John Francis Donaghy said:

Another thing to consider is where your kids might want to go to college. If they're dead-set on UT Austin or A&M College Station, it can be an uphill battle to get in if your kid isn't in the top 10% (I think top 8% for UT now) of their class, just by virtue of having to compete for a limited number of merit admit spots. And for an elite high school full of top quality students, that's going to end up being the case for 90+% of the graduating students even though they'd all probably be top 5% or 10% at other schools. No sense setting your kid up for a higher risk of dashed dreams if all they want is UT or A&M main campuses.

If your kids are looking more for towards private or out of state options then these elite high schools start to look like a much better option IMO.
Good info.

The reason a lot of affluent Lakewooders and East Dallas types will send their kids to Woodrow Wilson is that its 10x easier to finish in the top 10% than a school that is mostly affluent like SLC or HP.

Woodrow Wilson, Hillcrest and WT White are the only DISD schools where a decent amount of the affluent residents will send their kids to the local school.

Most kids from those school areas go private, but there is usually enough diversity in the socioeconomics where its pretty easy to finish in the top 25% of the school.
CapCityAg89
AG
agchino said:

If he's living at Joe Pool and commuting to North Grand Prairie, he's going to be sitting in traffic every morning and evening. I live in Colleyville and commute to South Grand Prairie and it is a reverse commute from that perspective. I'm going opposite the traffic each way.

So I idid my first week in GP. Stayed in an apartment in East Ft Worth (such weird borders) so about a 7 minute commute.

I did go to Grapevine to one evening (meeting at 5) and coppell (hard 8 BBQ - good for DFW). And this comment is accurate. I'm never really saw traffic. Undoubtedly partially COVID but still looked good.

I still think my vote is grapevine and it's gifted program. We will see about TAG. issue there is getting a chance to apply without a hard commit to Dallas proper.
Austintm
CapCityAg89 said:

agchino said:

So I idid my first week in GP. Stayed in an apartment in East Ft Worth (such weird borders) so about a 7 minute commute.

I did go to Grapevine to one evening (meeting at 5) and coppell (hard 8 BBQ - good for DFW). And this comment is accurate. I'm never really saw traffic. Undoubtedly partially COVID but still looked good.

I still think my vote is grapevine and it's gifted program. We will see about TAG. issue there is getting a chance to apply without a hard commit to Dallas proper.
Not to hijack the thread (and hope you find the right place to live), but a Hard No on Hard 8. Not good for DFW. Maybe for Minnesota. Here's a good discussion of their process (and 'que): https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/hard-eight-bbq-2015/
powerbelly
AG
Austintm said:

CapCityAg89 said:

agchino said:

Not to hijack the thread (and hope you find the right place to live), but a Hard No on Hard 8. Not good for DFW. Maybe for Minnesota. Here's a good discussion of their process (and 'que): https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/hard-eight-bbq-2015/

I love when the bbq snobs show up
agchino
AG
There is construction on 360 right now so traffic both ways has been a little worse, but if you are working north of 30, there shouldn't be an issue.

Next time you are in Grapevine, try Meat U Anywhere BBQ. That would probably be the best BBQ in the mid cities area.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.