Metroplex
Sponsored by

Commuting to Las Colinas from Keller

3,526 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wbt5845
cruzdoggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving up to DFW from Houston as soon as we can find a house. Would prefer to be in Tarrant County and Southlake is going to be too high for us. Considering Grapevine, Keller, and parts of North Arlington (have family there). Is the southwest part of Keller too far of a commute? It is impossible to see now with Covid what traffic is like and so I am hoping someone here has an idea.

Thanks!
Rubble
AG
Depends on your definition of too far. Go by time, not distance. How much is too much time for you to be commuting?

I lived in Keller and commuted to downtown Dallas for 18 months while they were doing all the construction on 114. It was about 40 mins in the morning, and anywhere from 45-90 minutes in the evening. LC would be less than that.
cruzdoggie
AG
Rubble said:

Depends on your definition of too far. Go by time, not distance. How much is too much time for you to be commuting?

I lived in Keller and commuted to downtown Dallas for 18 months while they were doing all the construction on 114. It was about 40 mins in the morning, and anywhere from 45-90 minutes in the evening. LC would be less than that.
Thanks. Would prefer to be around 30-40 mins for the evening. Morning is ok as I will start early most days.
Rubble
AG
Typically traffic flows towards Dallas in the afternoon on 114, and it's not bad going west, but in saying that, I don't commute anymore and haven't driven that way in quite some time.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
I'd seriously consider Grapevine ( obviously biased). It would reduce the commute to Las Colinas as well as the family in north Arlington. I've been here almost 10 years and love how easy it is to get pretty much anywhere in D/FW.
AggieFrog
AG
The desktop version of Google Maps allows you to select a date/time for directions and will give you a range of normal commute times. You should be able to simulate a morning / evening commute for the exact locations of the home neighborhood and your office.
BoomGoesThe
How would you compare Grapevine to Colleyville? I'm considering both right now.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Good question. I live in the 121/Hall Johnson area, so I have easy access to 121 and 360. Depending on what area of Colleyville you're considering will determine how quickly you can make it to the freeways. Same for Grapevine up by the lake.
Ag CPA
AG
I'd stick to the east side of Keller for numerous reasons. If you look at Colleyville, SH26 feeds nicely into 121/114 now that the flyover construction is done and the road was expanded to 6 lanes; would be an ideal way to get over to Las Colinas.

There really isn't any rush hour traffic in the area anymore so commutes are not that bad regardless of where you live
2wealfth Man
AG
Well, there are the 114 express lanes as well. But I would say traffic has notably decreased in the 114 corridor since all of this crap began.
OldAg92
AG
Another good option is North Richland Hills - right on the borders of Keller and Colleyville (Precinct Line / North Tarrant / Davis Blvd triangle). We live in a neighborhood called Thornbridge and it is very convenient to both 114 and 183, as well as grapevine, southlake, colleyville and keller. I commute to downtown Dallas and it isn't bad at all. Las Colinas would be a breeze.
CowtownEng
It is hard to answer the OP without some context. Over the past 10 years I have had commutes that ranged from 5 minutes to almost an hour. My current commute is about 10 minutes and I can't imagine doing a "long" commute ever again. The trade off is that I pay a premium to live in an old/small house. There is no free lunch!
AggieLumberjack
AG
I live on Glade Road near Hwy 26, right in the heart of Colleyville and Las Colinas in about 30 minutes either way. With no traffic its probably 20 minutes. SW Keller would add at least 20 minutes and maybe more. 114 really bogs down through Southlake and Trophy Club.
BosAG06
AG
You might consider Trophy Club
cruzdoggie
AG
Thanks. I will be leaving after 5:30 each day most likely so don't want to be getting home at 7 every night. We have a 4 year old so schools are also very important. Not much to look at in the sub 500k range in Colleyville or Grapevine at the moment so was wondering if Keller may be worth looking at. Appreciate the advice. I lived in Downtown FW for a few years from 2008-2011 so I have a decent idea of most of the areas.
Rubble
AG
Have you considered Flower Mound or Coppell areas?
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
There's a decent amount to look at under $500k in my pocket of Grapevine (121/360 north of Glade Rd.) but anything updated is moving pretty fast. What's on your wish list for your new home?
NomadicAggie
AG
We just moved to Keller two years ago, and I work I LC. We live in North Keller. We are off of Davis on 114. Traffic (non Covid) in the morning usually is pretty heavy on 114 through South Lake, but then you can (really must) get into the express lanes in Colleyville to go around the airport. After that it's not bad on 114 on other side of airport. In the evenings, 114 is pretty heavy all the way from LC through South Lake, but if you can get in the express lane it's totally worth it. The tolls are a pain, but not too bad. It's worth it to me. We really like the area
murphyag
AG
I would also look at Coppell. Good schools and would be an easy commute to Las Colinas.
'03ag
I live on the southern edge of Colleyville and commute to a building on Lake Carolyn. I go around the north side of the airport, both ways. I take the 114 toll lane on the way home, but not in the morning. It takes right at 40 minutes no matter what.

On days when I don't drop off kids at their preschool, I will go around the south side of the airport TO work, and the northern route home. Shaves maybe 5 minutes in the morning, but I do take the 183 toll lane.

From Southwest Keller there's no way you'll keep it at or under 40 minutes. And to get close you're going to incur A LOT of tolls.
'03ag
BoomGoesThe said:

How would you compare Grapevine to Colleyville? I'm considering both right now.
Grapevine has some distinctly different areas so we'd need to know more about what you're looking for. Are you asking about commute, prices, vibe etc?
'03ag
cruzdoggie said:

Not much to look at in the sub 500k range in Colleyville or Grapevine at the moment so was wondering if Keller may be worth looking at.
FYI my neighborhood has 5 listings under 500k right now. Depending on what your wants are of course. Small pocket on the southern end of Colleyville near Chisholm Park. It's mostly been older homeowners, but slowly it's getting younger, I think it's a good mix right now. We see kids out everyday, but it's not flooded with them. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

This is actually our 2nd house in the neighborhood. Moved away for a couple years, but missed it. Big lots, older homes, wide streets, little traffic. Right on 26 so quick access to Colleyville, Grapevine, and Southlake. Or the Glade/121 area.

For researching schools, it's HEB, so would be the Bedford Heights -> Bedford Junior High -> Bell High School pipeline.
OldAg92
AG
'03ag said:

cruzdoggie said:

Not much to look at in the sub 500k range in Colleyville or Grapevine at the moment so was wondering if Keller may be worth looking at.
FYI my neighborhood has 5 listings under 500k right now. Depending on what your wants are of course. Small pocket on the southern end of Colleyville near Chisholm Park. It's mostly been older homeowners, but slowly it's getting younger, I think it's a good mix right now. We see kids out everyday, but it's not flooded with them. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

This is actually our 2nd house in the neighborhood. Moved away for a couple years, but missed it. Big lots, older homes, wide streets, little traffic. Right on 26 so quick access to Colleyville, Grapevine, and Southlake. Or the Glade/121 area.

For researching schools, it's HEB, so would be the Bedford Heights -> Bedford Junior High -> Bell High School pipeline.
Not to derail the thread, but I had to once you mentioned the schools. I'm a Bedford Heights - Bedford Jr. High - LD Bell alum. Although that was eleventy billion years ago
'03ag
I was BJH->Bell. Graduated in '99 though. Guess you were 88ish. Moved between elementary and Junior high. Did Bell Manor 3rd-6th.

I don't believe HEB schools are as good as they were 20 years ago. At least not as a whole. But the Bedford Heights-BJH-Bell pipeline is still very good, and we're happy to put our kids through it. My niece is about to be a senior at Bell and she's killing it in the IB program. Other niece did spanish immersion at Bedford Heights, very cool stuff.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
LD Bell c/o 94 here! That was my school track as well. You do have the option to transfer in to GCISD with a Colleyville address if you want to go that route.
'03ag
Yeah I forgot they let you do that. One of my good friends lived in Tara and they chose to go through HEB. Colleyville Heritage High School didn't exist then, and Grapevine High was 4a. I knew 2 or 3 people that picked Bell for the band program.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
cruzdoggie said:

Thanks. I will be leaving after 5:30 each day most likely so don't want to be getting home at 7 every night. We have a 4 year old so schools are also very important. Not much to look at in the sub 500k range in Colleyville or Grapevine at the moment so was wondering if Keller may be worth looking at. Appreciate the advice. I lived in Downtown FW for a few years from 2008-2011 so I have a decent idea of most of the areas.

I noticed in your first post Southlake was a little out of the budget for housing, were you looking there for the schools? There's a sliver of Grapevine up by the lake that's actually zoned for Carroll ISD, with more reasonable prices. If you'd feel comfortable sharing what you are looking for in a home I'm sure we could help guide you, every one on this thread has given great advice so far!
Ag CPA
AG
FWIW Carroll ISD will let you enroll if you live in Southlake but are outside the district (for some $$ of course). West of Davis is Keller ISD and I think a small part of the city may be GCISD.
cruzdoggie
AG
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think we will expand our search into the Colleyville/Bedford areas based on the feedback. We are definitely familiar with the Southlake ISD Grapevine neighborhood but haven't been able to pounce on a house yet when it comes on. Some interesting ones in Grapevine as well that we hope to look at soon. We want at least 4 bdrms/ 2.5+ baths and can take or leave a pool. Are ok doing some work to the house but would like to have either A/C or Windows be fairly recent if its an older one. Elementary School is main concern at the moment.
Quinn
AG
How about this one?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1820-Rolling-Ridge-Dr-Grapevine-TX-76051/29243228_zpid/
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
That's my area of Grapevine! Nicely updated and with a pool, should go quickly. Very close to Grapevine Elementary, we've been very happy with the school, my youngest is entering 5th this fall. Obviously biased, but this side of Grapevine could check a lot of boxes for the op.
Quinn
AG
We're likely moving out that way in the next couple years so I've started scanning Zillow to get an idea of what's available. I would definitely go check that one out if we were currently in the market.
cruzdoggie
AG
Really liked that one but it's pending. Appreciate the heads up!
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Yeah, I'm always on Zillow or the Realtor.com checking out what hits the market. That one went under contract quickly.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Are you and the family already in the D/FW area? Seems like everything I see that goes on the market here will go under contract in a couple of days if it's updated and priced well, which I imagine is frustrating if you're out of town and not able to see the listings in person. We had a house up the street that is basically our floor plan go under contract in 2 days, nicely updated minus the bathrooms. Good luck whichever area you choose!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.