Metroplex
Sponsored by

Shopping for a new energy company

4,353 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RBrasovan
HockeyAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad has been with bounce/direct energy for several
years now. He needs to renew and the current going rate seems to be 11.2 cents/ kWh. That seems high, obviously. Powertochoose.org has disagreed with rates found on its respective companies' sites.

Who are y'all using and can you tell me a rate we should be shooting for? Energy ogre? Griddy? Green mountain?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
schwabbin
AG
Seems most of the companies make their money on customers forgetting to renew and moving to a month to month plan. You can get the best deal by switching companies every year or two. But that's a PITA. I just renewed with Reliant at like 9.2 cents/kWh. Powertochoose should give you all the options.
Log
AG
You need to look at his monthly KWH consumption. Then find a plan with the best $/KWH in the bracket he resides in most of the time. 50-1000,1000-1500, 1500-200, etc.

Also, gas or electric heat? Electric will bump your winter consumption way up, whereas gas heat can give you a $40 electric bill in the winter if you do it right.
AW 1880
AG
Where are you getting your energy? its a simple question. Where are you getting your energy in this world? Energy is becoming more and more and more of a factor in in everybody's world. Everybody's world. I'd like to direct you to a new client we have on this station named choose energy. Choose energy is an absolutely fantastic way of getting your energy in this world. Choose energy allows you to choose the company you want. Choose the company you want to deliver your energy. Choose energy gives you fantastic choices in the energy area and its up to you to simply look at the choices and determine which one is best for you. Choose energy will hear a lot more about in the coming days on our station. Choose energy is a way to save you money. choose energy is the way of the future enabling you to choose the energy source you want. The one that works best for you. the one that saves the most energy money. Choose energy
ftworthag02
AG
Bravo!
ftworthag02
AG
We just switched to energy ogre last week after Gexa raised our rates to 14 cents. Been with them for 5+yrs
clobby
AG
I use Energy Ogre. Pay .08 per kwh
The Pilot
AG
Loyalty in this field likely costs you money. Energy Orge is what we used when we lived in Dallas and let them do the leg work.
culdeus
AG
I mean powertochoose, pick best 24 month plan that meets your needs. done. Takes about 3 minutes.
zidnaut
The best 12-mo rate is currently ~4.7 c/kWh plus Oncor (~8.7 all-in), usage-dependent. Or you can get the annual equivalent of ~8.4 for 6 months, or 8.0 for 3 months. Rates are currently higher than average but have been falling a bit as COVID mitigates the normal summertime demand.

If you plug in your usage at www.TexasPowerGuide.com, it'll tell you which plan is best and monitor daily for better deals until your renewal.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I recommend 2 options:

1) texaspowerguide if you want to pay $10 once to get help matching up a plan with your usage for a 1x change

2) energy ogre if you want to pay $10/month and just turn it entirely over to them to keep you in the best rate all the time. This is what I did because my preference is to not mess with it every 6-12 months
jagged
AG
Energy ogre
jograki
AG
I use a service similar to Energy Ogre and it's Aggie Owned. It used to be called EZ Electricity but they just rebranded to Thigbe so they can take on other contracts outside of just electric. Basically they buy in bulk for their customers and that's how you get such a good rate. The fee is also way lower than EO since it's something like $.0036/kwh, plus 1/3 goes to one of their listed charities so it's basically extra incentive to pay into a fee. My contracts so far for the last couple years have been around $.0476, the best one I've had was $.0356, and currently I'm about to move into the highest one I've had with them at $.0526 but that's also because it's including summer months. It'll get reevaluated in the fall hopefully.
Texas Ag Mom

To accurately compare plans you need to have the Electric Facts Label (EFL) for each plan. Don't pay attention to the boxes at the top w/different rates based on 500/1000/2000 kwh. Those tend to confuse people. Look at the text just below that. The possible line items will be the energy charge, monthly base charge, 2 separate Oncor charges, promo credits, etc.
The most important of these is the energy charge. Can be fixed or flexible. Look for fixed. Look for a plan w/no base charge. Disregard the Oncor charges because all plans pay the exact same but know that the Oncor charges can/do change during your contract but you have no control over this & it is typically a very small amount.
Typically the best time to buy is in April/May & Oct/Nov. Stay away from promo rates like free days, credits, etc. Those are ususally the highest rates. There are several websites to check what is currently being offered. Keep in mind some new offers are exclusive to each website. For example I found a good rate from Gexa but it was only available on one website. Also know that you almost always get a cheaper rate by switching providers at the end of your contract. Energy Ogre charges $10 a month in fees so that is $120 per year. I can do the work myself. FYI I renewed in April & I am paying 5.9 for my energy charge. Good luck & keep in mind energy providers do not want the customer to understand the charges. They are literally banking on the fact that we are lazy or we don't understand.

2nd Generation Ag
Energy Ogre will help you get in the lowest rate for your home. We are now putting people in exclusive rates below the market. Email me if you need help. My email is mengland@energyogre.com.

I am an Aggie. We have a relationship with Cullen Gillespie the former 12thman. If you sign up use the promo code "Gilly" for a free month..

Hope this helps.
ftworthag02
AG
I just signed up for EO on 7/14. What's your response to those on the home improvement board that are saying y'all have started to only change customers plans annually and one person commented that there have been several billing issues? A couple have canceled
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Where do you get your energy? Energy is becoming more and more important in today's world. That's why you will be be hearing about Choose Energy more and more in the coming days on The Ticket.
jthonen
AG
ftworthag02 said:

I just signed up for EO on 7/14. What's your response to those on the home improvement board that are saying y'all have started to only change customers plans annually and one person commented that there have been several billing issues? A couple have canceled
I signed up with EO January of 2020 and was massively disappointed to find out they chose a 12 month plan for me. That's something I'm very capable of doing myself. The 3, 6, and 9 month plans were all significantly less at the time but EO stuck me in a 12 month plan. Most likely, I'll be a one and done with EO if that's the best they can do.
Golf Ag
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

To accurately compare plans you need to have the Electric Facts Label (EFL) for each plan. Don't pay attention to the boxes at the top w/different rates based on 500/1000/2000 kwh. Those tend to confuse people. Look at the text just below that. The possible line items will be the energy charge, monthly base charge, 2 separate Oncor charges, promo credits, etc.
The most important of these is the energy charge. Can be fixed or flexible. Look for fixed. Look for a plan w/no base charge. Disregard the Oncor charges because all plans pay the exact same but know that the Oncor charges can/do change during your contract but you have no control over this & it is typically a very small amount.
Typically the best time to buy is in April/May & Oct/Nov. Stay away from promo rates like free days, credits, etc. Those are ususally the highest rates. There are several websites to check what is currently being offered. Keep in mind some new offers are exclusive to each website. For example I found a good rate from Gexa but it was only available on one website. Also know that you almost always get a cheaper rate by switching providers at the end of your contract. Energy Ogre charges $10 a month in fees so that is $120 per year. I can do the work myself. FYI I renewed in April & I am paying 5.9 for my energy charge. Good luck & keep in mind energy providers do not want the customer to understand the charges. They are literally banking on the fact that we are lazy or we don't understand.

This
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
HockeyAg07 said:

My dad has been with bounce/direct energy for several
years now. He needs to renew and the current going rate seems to be 11.2 cents/ kWh. That seems high, obviously. Powertochoose.org has disagreed with rates found on its respective companies' sites.

Who are y'all using and can you tell me a rate we should be shooting for? Energy ogre? Griddy? Green mountain?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Energy Ogre. You pay them $9 a month and they find the cheapest electricity in your area.

Been with them for over a year.
Strategy
AG
powertochoose.org
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Would highly recommend energy ogre versus power to choose. Power to choose is not bad, but is big and confusing and there are lots of tricks and gimmicks in the plans that are out there if you don'd know what to look for and know your usage well. Energy Ogre does cost $10 a month, but we have been with them for over 2 years and have saved some money and love the convenience. Plus, there are other tips about ways to save money. If you are looking for a user friendly service that will save you money, I would sign up for Energy Ogre.

www.energyogre.com/r/cru
RBrasovan
I would defiently recommend Thigbe as well. Energy Ogre charges so much for so little and is a TERRIBLE value. Thigbe gives 1/3rd of what they make to charity, make sure you aren't getting charged things you shouldn't, and make sure the bill is paid on time by paying it on your behalf. I never have to contact the electricity provider at all - they do it all for me. And I only pay $2-3 a month because they also split up the bill between my roommate and I automatically.

They also recently expanded to manage your other utility bills too.

https://thigbe.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.