Metroplex
Sponsored by

Pool and Deck remodeling

2,091 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bottlerocket
DFWTLR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any good experiences with pool remodeling companies locally anyone recommends? New pebble, tile, coping and equipment and was hoping to replace our deck and add an outdoor kitchen and would like to have one company for everything.

My dad just redid his pool and it was a nightmare, so hoping to avoid that, thanks!
Corps_Ag12
AG
Where are you located in D/FW?
Bottlerocket
AG
OP, you ever get any responses?
I never did, but didn't see that anyone responded. I'm in far north Dallas, beltline and hillcrest. Found a few pool companies that seem good, the deck is another story - quotes are all over the place.
Bottlerocket
AG
I'm in your same boat. I'm at Spring Valley and Hillcrest. My neighbors had Summerhill redo theirs and it looked good. I got a quote and was ready to sign a contract when the stay-and-home orders went into effect. I didn't sign the contract because (i) wanted to hoard cash and (ii) needed the pool for the kids if the shutdown lasted long. Turned out to be a good move but now it seems Summerhill and everyone else is slammed. I want to move forward but I'm at the back of the line now and looking to get some other quotes.
I know, it's crazy how busy they all are, nothing else to do though.

I've had quite a few out, I like ASP and JV Pools. Foley is coming out in a couple weeks, and should be able to make a decision from one of those three. Are you replacing/remodeling your deck?
Bottlerocket
AG
I am redoing the deck. It's old pebble concrete. SUMMERHILL recommended an overlay - they explained it and showed me in their showroom. It was $8,500 for the deck overlay. The only other option was demo the entire deck and he said at that point, it's basically building a new pool. I will say, the overlay looked good in showroom and he said they cut it to match cracks so further cracking won't show as obviously. My pool was built in 1982 based on permits I researched at the city of Dallas - it's an old ass pool and the decking looks it. It's ugly
That was our original plan with the deck, but it's in such bad shape and sunk in a couple places that we will most likely need to rip and replace.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I don't work in Dallas anymore, but typically you should be paying $5/SF for demo and haul off of decking/concrete and $8-10/SF for stamped concrete.
Bottlerocket
AG
Update - going with Summerhill. They were very thorough and spent a lot of time addressing what we wanted and letting my wife ask a million questions. Not the cheapest but gave us the best recs and best info. They listened to and addressed everything we wanted

Riverbend: came out and spent maybe 15 minutes with me. Gave an inexpensive bid that missed a lot of what we talked about. They wanted me to be my own GC in the deck. I didn't get a good feeling. They were cheap but I didn't like they had omitted a lot of things we talked about from the bid. This felt like a lowball, loss leader

Foley: spent a lot of time with me and took measurements and gave me a lot of good info. Nice guys. I had high hopes. Promised me a bid by friday or, worst case, the following Monday or Tuesday. I gave it until the following Thursday and sent and email and phone call asking for the bid. No reply, and no bid. Sorry - if I'm trying to give you money and you don't want it, I'll go elsewhere

Anyways, I'm excited to get the remodel done. I'll take before and after pics
Are you just doing the overlay? If so, still $8.5K just for the overlay? We have pebble surface and its rough (torn up toes on kids) and hot in the summer.
Bottlerocket
AG
Yes doing the overlay. We have the pebble concrete and it's old, ugly and sucks
Without taking too much of your time is that pretty much some sort of "liquid" / "coating" that goes direct on top? A lot of prep required? I did a few youtube videos and it doesn't seem TOO terribly complex so now my brain is wondering if this could be a DIY project but feel like i am likely missing something....

Edit: There are many historically bad home trends and pebble has to rank up there with the worst....
Bottlerocket
AG
They acid wash and clean the pebble crap and then pour and stamp the overlay. The product is called Limecoat. It's not concrete. They do an irregular pattern to match any existing cracks so that any future repairs (which there will be) are easy.

Google "limecoat pool deck". It will give you a good idea. I do not think this is a DIY job based on how it has been explained to me

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.