Metroplex
Sponsored by

Private School this fall?

1,569 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So neighboring private school says they are starting next month in class. Our district is starting out at home. Anyone else thinking of going this route for this academic year. Should I be up front and say this is only a place holder or act like we are in it for the long haul?
culdeus
AG
What makes you think you can get a spot? Applications and admissions process for the major private schools is basically for the ultra wealthy. Not sure about pure religious schools.
2wealfth Man
AG
BoDog said:

So neighboring private school says they are starting next month in class. Our district is starting out at home. Anyone else thinking of going this route for this academic year. Should I be up front and say this is only a place holder or act like we are in it for the long haul?
Most of private enrollments happen in Feb/Mar time frame. Private schools need an attendance census in order to plan/budget.
YouBet
AG
What culdeus said. I doubt you are getting your kid in private school this late in the game unless a lot of parents have pulled their kids out and are home schooling.
planoaggie123
AG
Yea might be tough but never hurts to call around. The more "elite' one probably are full as they have waiting lists even if a few kids are pulled out.

We were thinking private in-home teacher route with a few other families but those numbers might be too rich for us. Looks like this mom and dad will be putting on our teacher hats again this year...
Yesterday
AG
We planned on putting our kids in private school when we learned that Dallas County was going to shut down. But now that they have shut down private schools as well we don't know what to do
Post removed:
by user
Yesterday
AG
Private schools didn't have a choice. The county shut them down. The three schools we interviewed at said they were not going to shut down unless ordered to do so.
proc
AG
How many of you that are sending your kids to private school, actually went to private school?

To each their own, but having been to a private high school in Fort Worth and then having a son graduate from a public one, I didn't see much of a difference when each of us went to Texas A&M.
murphyag
AG
proc said:

How many of you that are sending your kids to private school, actually went to private school?

To each their own, but having been to a private high school in Fort Worth and then having a son graduate from a public one, I didn't see much of a difference when each of us went to Texas A&M.

Unless your child attends one of the pricier big name private schools the academics are often not as strong as they are at public schools.
zaab
AG
I may be totally wrong on this but some private schools are set up as Home Schooling and the one we were looking at are still planning to have class. Its only K-6 but we are hoping for just some stability this year for our 4th grader. (They still had some spots left open). This may be only a one year thing.

I'm usually a public school advocate unless there is a big disparity. Sent my two oldest to private because the public school where living at the time was in the bottom 10% of districts in the US.
Trucker 96
In general, it seems that a quality public school is superior to a private school which is superior to weaker public school. I think many of these privates are going to encounter very similar covid challenges as public though, especially if asshats like Clay Jenkins are going to remove options for them. So I'm not sure it's all that viable as another quality option.
Yesterday
AG
proc said:

Big public school advocate! Both my wife and I graduated from bottom 25% public schools. Would never put them in private unless something crazy happened like the county where they attend schools closed said schools.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.