Metroplex
Sponsored by

Plans for School

44,079 Views | 554 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
supermanrv
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you going to send your kids to school ??
HarleySpoon
AG
supermanrv said:

Are you going to send your kids to school ??
Absolutely!!!! The actual death rate from the virus for those below age 25 is comparable and some studies claim less than past year's flu. Please don't send your kid to school if they have any kind of flu because getting any kind of flu is not fun for them or you or me.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Sending our youngest back to private to start kindergarten since they are capping class size at 10 and have stated they are going to remain in-person. Our older two are going to start out virtual and we're coordinating with other families to supplement with a tutor or group learning at different homes in the neighborhood.

The concern for us is not the virus, it's the anticipated reaction to the virus. My understanding is they will close down certain classes for two weeks if a kid tests positive, including the class of any siblings. The stopping and starting sounds like a complete disaster, so we'd rather just keep some stability for now.

We have the option of switching back and forth each grading period, so wouldn't hesitate to put them back to in-person learning if the school handles things well. I also don't really like the idea of them being confined to the classroom the entire day and wearing a mask or face shield all day. I'd rather them work a few hours at home or with other kids, then go outside for a little while.
ftworthag02
AG
would you send your 3yo to preschool when both sets of grandparents (one set is 80 and grand dad has parkinsons and the other set is in their 70s and healthy) watch her before and after school? They are also watching the 3 month old.
murphyag
AG
ftworthag02 said:

would you send your 3yo to preschool when both sets of grandparents (one set is 80 and grand dad has parkinsons and the other set is in their 70s and healthy) watch her before and after school? They are also watching the 3 month old.

In that situation, I would not send the 3 year old to preschool. Seems risky for the grandparents that watch the 3 year old before and after preschool.
ftworthag02
AG
thats what we're thinking. She just misses her friends so much and it kills us but the health of everyone in the family is most important.
jtraggie99
AG
TxAgLaw03RW said:

Sending our youngest back to private to start kindergarten since they are capping class size at 10 and have stated they are going to remain in-person. Our older two are going to start out virtual and we're coordinating with other families to supplement with a tutor or group learning at different homes in the neighborhood.

The concern for us is not the virus, it's the anticipated reaction to the virus. My understanding is they will close down certain classes for two weeks if a kid tests positive, including the class of any siblings. The stopping and starting sounds like a complete disaster, so we'd rather just keep some stability for now.

We have the option of switching back and forth each grading period, so wouldn't hesitate to put them back to in-person learning if the school handles things well. I also don't really like the idea of them being confined to the classroom the entire day and wearing a mask or face shield all day. I'd rather them work a few hours at home or with other kids, then go outside for a little while.

What school district? My son is in Plano, and we are most likely keeping him home, for some of the same reasons you mentioned. Also, my ex-wife's 73 year old mom lives with them (he goes back and forth between my house and theirs), so there is that concern. The only thing we have not been able to determine, is if he will have the option of going back to school, if we choose to do that (say in the spring). At this point, we have to make a decision one way or the other next week. That's the deadline Plano has given.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
We're in Richardson ISD. It's a tough choice because I am convinced they are going to shut all or portions of a school down if there is a positive result. I hope I'm wrong, but if that occurs, you're back to virtual learning regardless.

I don't know Plano's plan, but RISD is allowing you to go back and forth, but only at each 6-week grading period.
planoaggie123
AG
Plano ISD. Sending our oldest to 1st grade and our youngest will hopefully be able to do his Mothers Day Out pre-k program.

We just moved (Plano to Plano) and are in a new school so going to be interesting to see how daughter transitions into 1st grade at new school while everyone is masked up / separated. She has always transitioned pretty well but this one is a bit different.

If we got to the point of doing remote learning and it looks like it will be a while I dont believe we will remain in PISD. Would strongly consider doing our own homeschooling to avoid the requirements of being in a certain spot each day at the house. There are other discussions about hiring a teacher to handle in-home learning if we get to that point as well...
AggieLumberjack
AG
We are in Birdville ISD and leaning towards keeping them at home at first. Not because of the virus but because of the inevitable response to the virus. The constant back and forth that will happen throughout the Fall will not be good for our youngest. My high school daughter is all dual credit next year anyway and since the college is on-line only I assume she will be also. She plays a sport so I wonder how that will go.
jtraggie99
AG
AggieLumberjack said:

We are in Birdville ISD and leaning towards keeping them at home at first. Not because of the virus but because of the inevitable response to the virus. The constant back and forth that will happen throughout the Fall will not be good for our youngest. My high school daughter is all dual credit next year anyway and since the college is on-line only I assume she will be also. She plays a sport so I wonder how that will go.
According to the info we received from Plano, students at home can still fully participate in extra-curriculars and sports. According to them at least. They do throw out the caveat that UIL may say something different, and if so, they would have to abide by it.
planoaggie123
AG
I dont have a dog in this fight but the allowance to participate in extracurriculars if you stay home initially seems laughable. Why would someone not be ok with school but be ok with sports. I know outdoors and all but let's not pretend there will not be close contact.

Pick a side...you are either concerned or you are not.

jtraggie99
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I dont have a dog in this fight but the allowance to participate in extracurriculars if you stay home initially seems laughable. Why would someone not be ok with school but be ok with sports. I know outdoors and all but let's not pretend there will not be close contact.

I do not have a kid that plays UIL sports. I don't have an opinion on it. Just relying what we have been told.
riverrataggie
AG
Yes. No exceptions. Even if the school isn't open they will be out on the front door virtual learning.
planoaggie123
AG
Oh yea sorry i was not commenting in response to an assumed opinion that you may or may not have. Just used your response to make a general comment on the situation re: extracurriculars....
Mr. White
ac04
allen ISD, both kids are going. kinder and 2nd.
murphyag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

What I've read is that since the kids practice their sport outdoors that it is considered to be safer than being in a school building all day with hundreds-1,000s of kids (suburban junior highs and high schools often have this many kids nowadays). Hadn't really thought much about it until I saw some people talking about it. Guess it depends on the sport- Golf, tennis, cross country, etc. seem like they would support that line of thought.
jtraggie99
AG
murphyag said:

planoaggie123 said:

What I've read is that since the kids practice their sport outdoors that it is considered to be safer than being in a school building all day with hundreds-1,000s of kids (suburban junior highs and high schools often have this many kids nowadays). Hadn't really thought much about it until I saw some people talking about it. Guess it depends on the sport- Golf, tennis, cross country, etc. seem like they would support that line of thought.
I think it obviously depends on the sport. Football, of course a lot of close contact with a rather large group. Cross country? Not so much...
Yesterday
AG
Yes. Kids are going to school. It's insane, in my opinion, to rob my kids from their childhood for anyone. I would pay a nanny, quit my job, pay for daycare etc if it meant keeping my kids away from their older and more vulnerable grandparents and therefore allowing them to attend school.
Yesterday
AG
Mr. White said:

I will take Clay Jenkins seriously as soon as he forfeits his salary and refunds my property taxes for the local ISD. Other than that we are not in this together. Quite the opposite.
aglaohfour
AG
My 1st grader is in a charter school in Fort Worth. She will 100% be back at school in person. Fortunately none of our close family or friends are medically fragile, so we don't have that consideration. We are still waiting to hear what the school's specific protocols will be, and it seems unlikely that they will start Aug 17, but we'll be there when they start.
FincAg
AG
Since it has been decades since I was last in grade school. Why can't school start in September? It never did for us until after Labor Day. No fall break. 2 or 3 weeks off for Christmas. Out by middle of May.

For the record, family is chalk full of teachers and other forms of educators plus friends, and all want to get back to the classroom.
cc_ag92
AG
Starting in September means schools could not release in May unless TEA removes the minimum minutes or days requirements.
As a teacher, I think it would be great if we could do that this year. Every teacher I know WANTS to go back to school. We just want to know that there will be safety provisions and reasonable plans put in place.
Honestly, I don't know what the right plan is right now, but it feels like we're flying by the seat of our pants.
Yesterday
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Starting in September means schools could not release in May unless TEA removes the minimum minutes or days requirements.
As a teacher, I think it would be great if we could do that this year. Every teacher I know WANTS to go back to school. We just want to know that there will be safety provisions and reasonable plans put in place.
Honestly, I don't know what the right plan is right now, but it feels like we're flying by the seat of our pants.

Welcome to every business post Covid 19.
cc_ag92
AG
Are you saying businesses aren't putting safety plans into place? That's different from what I've seen around here and with my friends who work in the business world.
Or, did I misunderstand that response?
Yesterday
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Are you saying businesses aren't putting safety plans into place? That's different from what I've seen around here and with my friends who work in the business world.
Or, did I misunderstand that response?

It was in response to "feels like we're flying by the seat of our pants." Comment.

Confusing regulations, changing mandates, safety assurances etc. and we're all still expected to make a profit and pay employees. The PPP definitely helped but people are losing businesses left and right.

Not a slight at your comment because it's true. Just a "welcome to the show" moment.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I don't think Lovejoy has made a decision. My daughter, who has a second grader and a fourth grader at Lovejoy Elementary, said she was sent a survey to fill out about what the ISD should do.
cc_ag92
AG
That I understand completely. I'm probably feeling a little sensitive about the people who are saying teachers don't want to do the work so I misread your intent. Thank you for clarifying!
aglaohfour
AG
cc_ag92 said:

That I understand completely. I'm probably feeling a little sensitive about the people who are saying teachers don't want to do the work so I misread your intent. Thank you for clarifying!

To be fair, my feed is filled with teachers saying they don't want to go back. Complete with histrionics about needing to make a will because they're so sure they're going to die, or threatening to resign if they're asked to go back into the schools in August. I'm talking about young, healthy women. From my perspective, they're all feeding off of each other's fear mongering and it really seems to me that they just want a longer break. On the other hand, my parents were public school teachers/administrators for 38 years and all of their former colleagues who aren't retired yet are itching to go back and very vocal about not being worried. It's an interesting dichotomy for sure.
cc_ag92
AG
That's interesting to me. I do have friends who are concerned about going back, but every single one of them wants to teach again ASAP. We just want to know what precautions are being taken.

I just turned 50, overweight (pretty "normal for America," but still overweight), and have asthma, so I'm kind of in that borderline group, but I want to get back in the classroom. Online teaching exhausted me and saddened me. I missed my students and I was working hard to teach myself new technology and planning lessons and activities to engage them in Google Meets and when they were off-line. I spent $500 upgrading my internet infrastructure so that my computer didn't glitch when I was online with them. I pretty much hated every minute of it.

I want to go back, but I have reservations because of my 70yo parents. I'm trying to see them as much as possible right now in their backyard, but I don't know when I'll be able to see them again when school starts. I'm going to have to investigate that a bit more.

You can read all that as histrionics if you want, but I think it's absolutely normal to have concerns about something even while I really want to get back to doing my job.
J.P. 03
AG
Houston announced they're going online-only for the first 6 weeks of the school year. Likelihood of Dallas following suit?
ac04
starting to get the feeling that kids aren't going back at all this fall. hope very much that i'm wrong.
Trucker 96
Plano ISD and my kids are going, which is what they want and what my wife and I want as well. That said, I'm not sure how long schools will be open, if at all. But they want to go for as much as they can.
culdeus
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Houston announced they're going online-only for the first 6 weeks of the school year. Likelihood of Dallas following suit?

100%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.