Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas permit office

2,868 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hijakeroo123
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been waiting six weeks to get our renovations approved. I think they shut down for a few weeks when the first COVID shutdown happened and they're slammed.

Anybody know any tips to grease the wheels?
Post removed:
by user
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Lol who waits for or even asks for home renovation permits these days
schwabbin
AG
People that care about resale value.
bagger05
AG
We're using a contractor and I take it as a very good sign that he is not pressing us to get started without permits. We are doing demo but can't get moving on the rest of it.
DFWTLR
AG
schwabbin said:

Serious question, how does a permit increase the resale value? We did a full renovation of our last house with no permits and got 5% more than asking and no one ever asked for permits.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I don't know if reno is the same office as new build, but my buddy that is a custom builder gets to the office with plans in hand at like 0400 and plans to stay all day. Never sends by mail because of the wait.

Insane process. But with cops and crime and homeless and COVID, not a priority to fix.
Fenrir
Good luck. City of Dallas permits have been running 8-10 weeks minimum lately for commercial work.
mncag
Took me 6 week, you have to be nice but the squeaky wheel
ursusguy
AG
OCMOC is pretty dead.
Corps_Ag12
AG
DFWTLR said:

schwabbin said:

Serious question, how does a permit increase the resale value? We did a full renovation of our last house with no permits and got 5% more than asking and no one ever asked for permits.

An unpermitted addition will seriously hinder the he selling process. If it's not on the survey the title company won't touch it.
DFWTLR
AG
The OP said renovations, not additions.
big ben
AG
Why arent they just approving plans from home. Run a covid neg courier and mail the permit. OMFG that would make sense.
bagger05
AG
Apparently they're actually in-process now. Should be early next week. We will see.

Lack of permits isn't really slowing anything down YET.
Boat Shoes
AG
Any updates here? We'll be submitting plans for a new build in East Dallas in a month or two and was curious what to expect. That being said, if lumber doesn't start coming back down soon we may elect to delay either way.
bagger05
AG
We got approved this morning. We submitted on May 28 so a little over nine weeks.

I would hope they've worked off some of their backlog and submissions they're getting now aren't taking quite as long.
aezmvp
If worse comes to worst you can always harass your city council person. We had to do that one time and it got resolved ASAP. Pretty easy to actually get them. Surprising really.
hijakeroo123
AG
FYI, a few weeks ago, the Jefferson Street offices were shut down for several days due to an electrical fire in the basement. As a result, I would assume that the "terrible on a good day" level of service has gotten even worse. I am an architect in the area, and it is not unusual for even a small project to take 2-3 months for approval in the City of Dallas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.