Metroplex
Sponsored by

Where to park a tiny home

1,744 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rubble
chaca5151
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My teenager will be moving to Denton/Dallas area at the end of the year. I've talk her into possibly buying a tiny home instead of renting an apartment for the next four plus years.

Does anyone have any places that will take long term tenants?
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
cadetjay02
AG
This is right up your alley-

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2020/february/lake-dallas-denton-county-tiny-home-village/
powerbelly
AG
That sounds like a terrible idea.
riverrataggie
AG
Wouldn't there be a concern around high winds with these?
chaca5151
Most of the places I've looked at have tie downs for this reason.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
chaca5151
Yea that was one of the first places I looked unfortunately it's pretty far from Denton.
YouBet
AG
cadetjay02 said:

This is right up your alley-

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2020/february/lake-dallas-denton-county-tiny-home-village/
Quote:

A party of eight, the Schon family is not tiny. Parents Rick and Katie share their 375-square-foot home with 10-year-old son Jakub, 6-year-old daughter Cora, a duo of dogs, and two cats.
The very definition of insanity.

Makes sense for a single person though.
John Francis Donaghy
chaca5151 said:

Most of the places I've looked at have tie downs for this reason.

Tie downs? YeH those things are great. That's why trailer parks always do so well with tornadoes.

But I'm sure calling your trailer a "tiny house" and calling the trailer park a "village" will totally make it safer.
chaca5151
I'm glad you've contributed so much to this conversation, oh right free speech. Piss off.
Rubble
AG
chaca5151 said:

Yea that was one of the first places I looked unfortunately it's pretty far from Denton.

Pretty far from Denton? Lake Dallas is basically south Denton. Are you wanting something close to UNT or TWU (assuming she will be attending one of them)?
chaca5151
Yes sir she will be going to TWC for the first two years then moving to Dallas or Houston for the last two years.
PatAg
AG
Any reason you are against an apartment? Denton has a lot of places for students to stay near campus.
cadetjay02
AG
Um yeah, if you think Lake Dallas is far from Denton, then you have a lot to learn about DFW.
chaca5151
No not totally against getting an apartment, I've lived in an apartment since I was 18 and just moved into our newly built home. I could've purchased a home with the amount I paid in rent which I'm trying to keep her from having to do.

We plan on buying the tiny home and her just paying the space which is about $450, when she's done with the tiny home it will move to our land and be used as an ABB.

chaca5151
You are right I have no knowledge of Dallas and not afraid to admit that...

I commute 45-1 an hour everyday to work but it's not something I want her having to deal with, 4 years down the road i could care less how long her drive is to school/work.

Anything longer than 30min in my opinion is a long commute for her.
Texas Gator
I work at UNT and commute from Corinth, which is right next to Lake Dallas. Depending upon how far off I35 the location in Lake Dallas is, it should probably only be about a 20 minute drive to TWU.
Rubble
AG
chaca5151 said:

You are right I have no knowledge of Dallas and not afraid to admit that...

I commute 45-1 an hour everyday to work but it's not something I want her having to deal with, 4 years down the road i could care less how long her drive is to school/work.

Anything longer than 30min in my opinion is a long commute for her.

If you want a tiny house, Lake Dallas is as close as you'll get right now. As Gator said, you're looking at about 20 mins from there to TWU. If there is a chance that she'll be leaving in 2 years (either to Dallas or Houston), I'd suggest an apartment. There are tons in Denton, as it has one of the top 5 most populous universities in the state in UNT and TWU.

Moving to either Dallas or Houston won't matter, she'll need to move that house, or an apartment either way. It's a solid 45 minutes on a good day from Denton to downtown Dallas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.