Metroplex
Sponsored by

Collin County Property taxes

7,288 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in Rockwall county, but mine went up almost 12%. They offered to bring it down to what amounted to just over 11%.

It's maddening.

Their evidence packet makes no sense to me. It's either houses with no sales data, or sales reports that are way less per sqft than they're applying to me, but have some magical "adjusted sqft" where they just bump the number way up and then apply it to mine. I'd sell tomorrow if somebody offered me what would amount to a 5% increase.
LHIOB
AG
Up around 5% in Plano - Coit and Spring Creek-ish
Rice and Fries
East side or west side Coit? There's those new megatel home developments, which is probably why.
LHIOB
AG
East side by just a few homes
jtmoney03
AG
6% increase in Wylie, and biggest increase of the ones I've spot checked on my street. Bull*****
wangus12
AG
Hows McKinney looking? We're closing on a house there in a few weeks
gig em 02
Any of yall have a recommendation for a protest company?
Comeby!
AG
I've always done it myself using the data but I've seen Resolute show up many times as agent for the homeowners to protest.

The problem I have with these types of companies is that I've seen them in Denton county across from an appraiser and bulk dispute and trade property values. 'I'll give you those and you give me these.' I've seen it with my own two eyes. They are in the business of making money and how they do it is having a relationship with the Appraisal District. So they will only push to hard to guarantee they have a high success rate and not necessarily a maximum benefit to the homeowner. Not all are like this I'm sure but no dispute company will fight for your dollar as much as you will. It's just basic spreadsheeting.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
cadetjay02 said:

Mine went up 2% in Prosper, but I sold it for way more than that last month. So no complaints for me. New house I bought in Frisco actually dropped about 1%, but I paid even less than that. So I will protest once I close in early June.
Dang, you must have one amazing Realtor!
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
cadetjay02
AG
He's alright, hasn't been returning my texts lately though.
planoaggie123
AG
Easy protest. Got my value down to what we paid in Q4 2019. I didn't think they could argue but thought they might try. Sending in my signed approval letter tomorrow.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Dallas County guy looking to possibly head north after the last couple months of lockdowns/riots/protests. Are y'all full up there yet, or is there room for a few more? Looking to either go Frisco or west Plano and would love any of your thoughts on what the difference is between the two areas (schools, traffic, crime, etc).
planoaggie123
AG
My little pocket in West Plano has several homes for sale.

The higher end homes (or what i call higher end) that start around $550 - $600 are available and honestly tend to sit for a bit. Many are nice but dated at this point and require some TLC. Our street had a nice home (only thing missing was a pool) and it took about a month to sell. 4 other homes in neighborhood up for sale. Seems to be a cyclical thing where a lot of residents in this community got in around the same time and now all their kids are leaving college and its more home than they want to maintain.

The $250 - $450 range homes seem to move pretty quick. Ours sold first weekend and it seems to be the case with any well maintained 'starter' home.

Wife and I love west plano. She grew up there and we have lived there as a family now for 9 years. We moved 7 months ago and just moved south to a little bit biger home. I would have a hard time living anywhere else. Traffic to and from work is a little frustrating at times (work off 75 near downtown) but the benefits of our "bubble" outweights that cost in my mind.

Can't speak much to Frisco but I have to assume its hard to go wrong there too.

TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Good to hear. I've been looking online at that "higher range" you referenced just to see the difference between what that kind of house looks like in my current hood versus up there and it's almost idiotic not to move at this point. I have three kids who are entrenched with friends and school, but not to the point where they wouldn't be able to restart pretty easy elsewhere since they're all still in elementary.

planoaggie123
AG
If you get serious about Plano definitely message on here (or create a new thread lol).

For schools, overall, plano is good but it does have a bit more apartment people than I would prefer (not referring to standard 'need a place to stay for a year while i move' but rather 'i cant afford this school zone so live in a apt for 12 years').

There are a few areas of very nice homes that are zoned into lower rated schools. Nothing you wont see online when you are looking but be careful especially elementary. Once you get to middle school + its a non-issue.

In our area we are surrounded by neighbors who all sent their kids to private and its relatively common but we plan to leave our kids in public even if I become CFO of Exxon. Wife and her brother had a good experience.

As far as living, there are more than enough restaurants (Legacy, Legacy West, Star in Frisco) close by and you are obviously not far from downtown which we do for occasional date nights. Plano / Frisco / North Dallas has all the shops, etc you could ever need, too.
cadetjay02
AG
I'll consider myself the Frisco expert. My wife and I have been teaching in FISD for a dozen years and lived there in the past and just moved back. Be aware that a northern part of Plano is in Frisco ISD and part of the far north section of Frisco is Prosper ISD.
Email is username at hotmail
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Thanks, will definitely reach out as I continue weighing whether to move out of Dallas County
planoaggie123
AG
I sent in my exemption for almost 45 days ago and status still has not changed online. Currenly showing Exemptions: None.

They say to wait 90 days and i know it doesnt matter yet but I would REALLY like to get it updated. Frustrating its taking this long. They acknowledged reciept of it 30 days ago...
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
TxAgLaw03RW said:

Thanks, will definitely reach out as I continue weighing whether to move out of Dallas County
Would love to help if you decide to make the move, and also available if you have any questions! I've been a sponsor on this site for a decade and have helped lots of folks on these boards with Plano/Frisco area purchases and sales.

Email is Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

Cody
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
AW 1880
AG
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/tx/murphy/704-summer-pl/pid_36669756/

House for sale in our neighborhood. Wouldn't mind another Aggie in the neighborhood. This one is on a cul-de-sac with about a 2/3 acre yard.
jtmoney03
AG
Had an interesting thing happen tonight. Started getting texts from CCAD at about 11:30. I never accepted the original settlement they proposed, which was right about half of the $24K increase they assessed. I also never rejected it and had hearing set for 8/4.

Tonight, they proposed a new settlement at my opinion of value, so I got what I wanted...a $660 increase in assessed value over last year! I know that will probably never happen again, and I'm not sure I could have hit accept faster than I did in case it was an error!

Mainly stating this as another tactic to use for others, as I wonder...if they see no acceptance or rejection, that they will eventually meet you where you want them to. Good luck to those still set to fight!
Rice and Fries
Can someone riddle me why property taxes in Prosper are so dang high?

Sometimes I like to take Zillow for a joyride and look at houses up there, but geez looking at almost $13K a year in property taxes for a $550K home seems like a lot. I live in Plano and know Collin county has some of the higher property taxes but I pay ~1.9% of house value a year vs the 2.4%ish seen on some prosper houses.
MGS
I think a lot of the new developments in Prosper have MUDs.
duck79
AG
Celina has mud, Prosper does not. We just moved to Prosper and one of the reasons we chose here is the lack of PID or MUD. I have friends that bought a 1/2 mile north in Celina and they just assumed I had a MUD as well.
ChoppinDs40
AG
MGS said:

I think a lot of the new developments in Prosper have MUDs.
only a handful - Artesia does as does Light Farms. Can't think of any others in PISD.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Rice and Fries said:

Can someone riddle me why property taxes in Prosper are so dang high?

Sometimes I like to take Zillow for a joyride and look at houses up there, but geez looking at almost $13K a year in property taxes for a $550K home seems like a lot. I live in Plano and know Collin county has some of the higher property taxes but I pay ~1.9% of house value a year vs the 2.4%ish seen on some prosper houses.
Prosper is around 2.3/2.4 - bond elections to keep building new stuff for the school district.

When you've got one of the nicest football stadiums in the state and are opening multiple brand new schools every year, it takes money.

Also, since the city is so deadset on being a rich haven from Racetrac's and QuikTrips, commercial development has been slow (it's coming though!) to generate tax revenue for the district.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.