Metroplex
Sponsored by

Boss is making us return to work

4,392 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trucker 96
aggieheart711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got the call yesterday that our boss (owner) is making us return to the office next week. It's a small office so might not be as dangerous, but some of the employees aren't happy about it and dont know if they have a right to say anything. We've been effectively working from home and have been on a "rotation" at the office for the past 5 weeks. We are considered an "essential" business just like it seems everyone else is really. Any advice?
normaleagle05
AG
Wash your hands. Go to work.
powerbelly
AG
Go to work.
Quinn
AG
Mask, wash your hands, don't talk to anyone, go eat your lunch outside or in your car. If you're essential, unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do.
Proposition Joe
Do what they ask of you to do or quit... Really your only options.

Remember when things get back to normal that your company doesn't care about you personally and push to be compensated knowing that.
2wealfth Man
AG
If no one returns then your boss wont have a company and no one will have a job. He is probably as worried as the employees for a different reason.
YouBet
AG
Be the first one there and kick ass at work. Become #2 person.
cp2011
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Remember when things get back to normal that your company doesn't care about you personally and push to be compensated knowing that.
Unless you're intimately familiar with the case at hand, assuming a boss doesn't care about their employees comes of as extremely asinine. I know many employers who care deeply for their employees. Without knowing the manner in which employees were asked to return, the nature of the business, or other details regarding steps the employer has taken to ensure the health of their workers to make a blanket statement like this one betrays an exceptional pessimism.

To the OP, if you're concerned for your well-being, my advice would be to respectfully make that know to your boss and maybe you can work out an arrangement (e.g., working nights/weekends).

Ultimately we all take risks every day and if you decide going in to the office isn't worth the risk you perceive, and you can't work out another way, you always have the liberty to leave. Just two days ago the governor cited half a million job openings (workintexas.com)
Aries
Sorry if I eyeroll. Wear a mask,wash your hands.

I've being seeing 60+ pts a day. Get over it.
FWCPA05
AG
You have to do what's best for you and your family. If you are uncomfortable then state so. I would fight it if my boss tried it. Trying to follow the governors orders and stay safe. I'm in an "essential" service too but we can provide it remotely, so there is no point in being in the office if work is effectively getting done at the moment.
From the order:
In particular, all services should be provided through remote telework from home unless they are essential services that cannot be provided through remote telework.
Aries
What would you think it is acceptable amount of time to go back to work? Things seem to calming down. Business need to start resuming a new normal.

You can't work from home forever. Think about all of the people that haven't had that luxury. & Yes, it is a luxury.

You limit contacts, wash hands, wear a mask, but for the love don't wear gloves. Take the precautions. Shower as soon as you get home. I've been doing it since it started. I have to interact with almost a 100 people a day. Most of the interactions are in a 1 foot space.

You gonna be fine.
Proposition Joe
AGCP3 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Unless you're intimately familiar with the case at hand, assuming a boss doesn't care about their employees comes of as extremely asinine. I know many employers who care deeply for their employees. Without knowing the manner in which employees were asked to return, the nature of the business, or other details regarding steps the employer has taken to ensure the health of their workers to make a blanket statement like this one betrays an exceptional pessimism.

Yes I'm sure all employees of exceptional owner bosses have unhappy employees that "don't know if they have a right to say anything".

Betrays an exceptional pessimism? Spare me.
gig em 02
Aries said:

What would you think it is acceptable amount of time to go back to work? Things seem to calming down. Business need to start resuming a new normal.

You can't work from home forever. Think about all of the people that haven't had that luxury. & Yes, it is a luxury.

You limit contacts, wash hands, wear a mask, but for the love don't wear gloves. Take the precautions. Shower as soon as you get home. I've been doing it since it started. I have to interact with almost a 100 people a day. Most of the interactions are in a 1 foot space.

You gonna be fine.

Of course you can work from home forever. Why would any business continue paying for office space if the employees can effectively work from home?
Kashchei
AG
There are millions of newly unemployed Americans who would love to be in your shoes. Go to work and be grateful for it.
Post removed:
by user
Hincemm
AG
I believe the cares act protects employees faced with this dilemma
powerbelly
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

The main problem I see in this is if you have young kids at home with no child care as school and summer camps have been mostly cancelled. Not sure what that solution is.
Hopefully bosses understand this reality.

I am not having my folks come back to the office until they can get childcare again.
TxAG#2011
If you have no choice then try and recommend a few precautions like adequate social distancing and daily temperature checks in the morning. If I were you I'd make sure I was sitting as close to the A/C vent as possible and not downwind.

The unfortunate reality is profits over people is a common sentiment so you have to look out for yourself first.
Hincemm
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

The unfortunate reality is profits over people is a common sentiment so you have to look out for yourself first.
could be more like "staying in business" over profits and people...
fooz
At this point I wish I could go back to work. I'm able to WFH but it's just not for me.

My office is in Richardson so they are following Dallas' lead.
Hood
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

By all means if you can keep you and your family housed and fed without a job, go for it. But most of us can't pull that off.
TxAG#2011
Hincemm said:

TxAG#2011 said:

So yea, profits over people. OP made no mention of the business in danger of going out of business. There is government assistance for this exact situation as well.

Hincemm
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Hincemm said:

TxAG#2011 said:

So yea, profits over people. OP made no mention of the business in danger of going out of business. There is government assistance for this exact situation as well.

whatever you say, homeslice...
powerbelly
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Hincemm said:

TxAG#2011 said:

The government assistance that was gone before everyone who applied got any?

Or maybe the company is larger than was allowed assistance?

Large companies go out of business too.
TxAG#2011
powerbelly said:

TxAG#2011 said:

Hincemm said:

TxAG#2011 said:

The PPP was refunded.

OP is suggesting the business was functioning while people were working remotely and there's not a reason why they are making people come in. In essence, the business is putting their own bottom line above the safety of their employees.

If the business was in danger of going bankrupt this would be a different discussion.
powerbelly
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

powerbelly said:

TxAG#2011 said:

Hincemm said:

TxAG#2011 said:

The PPP was refunded. Not sure why you are defending the business here or have issue with what I said.

OP is suggesting the business was functioning while people were working remotely and there's not a reason why they are making people come in. In essence, the business is putting their own bottom line above the safety of their employees.

If the business was in danger of going bankrupt this would be a different discussion.
As far as he knows.

We aren't given a lot of detail and most likely the OP doesn't know the full details.
Proposition Joe
Full details or not, when the OP says the employees are afraid to question the decision it's pretty clear what kind of work environment it is.
BoomGoesThe
Where, in your estimation, does this government money come from?
TxAG#2011
BoomGoesThe said:

Where, in your estimation, does this government money come from?

The printing press? How is that relevant
Hincemm
AG
There's a certain poster on this thread who is continually having to defend their position.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
aggieheart711 said:

Any advice?
Quit but post where you job was. Several people would like to apply.

I saw a news story about a lady who runs a nationwide spa business. She quickly did all the paperwork to get a PPP.to keep her employees salaries.

When she announced it to her employees that they would not have to get unemployment over half of them were upset because their state unemployment systems were paying more than she paid in salary.

Instead of thanks from her employees, they got mad at her.

Too bad a lot of them were making $15 an hour but at least they had jobs.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
MallalieuAg
AG
If you don't like it then quit.
culdeus
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

The main problem I see in this is if you have young kids at home with no child care as school and summer camps have been mostly cancelled. Not sure what that solution is.

As offices open up this aspect will be catastrophic for working families. Abbot only really talked about sleep away camps in his address.
riverrataggie
AG
culdeus said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

As offices open up this aspect will be catastrophic for working families. Abbot only really talked about sleep away camps in his address.

We are close to having to get a nanny and also pay day care so we don't lose our spot at day care.
duck79
AG
riverrataggie said:

culdeus said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

We are close to having to get a nanny and also pay day care so we don't lose our spot at day care.

My wife is a hygienist and was told she has to return to work Wednesday and they want her to work possibly 6 days per week(she was Tues-Thur before). Luckily I am still work from home and in a diminished capacity but that could change in the next 2-3 weeks. Once things get back to normal we don't know what we will do with our 6 and 9yr old. Most if not all of their summer activities have been cancelled.
This summer is going to be a continued trying time for a lot of parents.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.