Metroplex
Sponsored by

Clay Jenkins

26,359 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Insightful article

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/october/who-is-dallas-county-judge-clay-jenkins/

Whole thing sheds light on who we're dealing with here, but the highlight is -

"In college at Baylor, Jenkins continued to distinguish himself dubiously. He was arrested twice, once for reckless driving after he led Baylor security and Waco police on a car chase he'd planned and a second time for criminal trespassing in a women's dorm during a panty raid. Strangely enough, he was never arrested for his role as the famous Baylor Pie Man, a hit man for a student-organized ring that offered to throw pies in people's facesprofessors, ex-boyfriendsfor a fee."
Phat32
AG
Might be a good lesson in civics for the country as no one votes in local elections and now our livelihoods are being determined by those local elections.
Southlake
This article is 6 years old. Background, but not pertinent.

Thanks for posting tho.
TexasAggie008
AG
It's about his life prior to being a dictato...i mean..judge

A Baptist baylor lawyer whose far left

Highly relevant
double aught
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Insightful article

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/october/who-is-dallas-county-judge-clay-jenkins/

Whole thing sheds light on who we're dealing with here, but the highlight is -

"In college at Baylor, Jenkins continued to distinguish himself dubiously. He was arrested twice, once for reckless driving after he led Baylor security and Waco police on a car chase he'd planned and a second time for criminal trespassing in a women's dorm during a panty raid. Strangely enough, he was never arrested for his role as the famous Baylor Pie Man, a hit man for a student-organized ring that offered to throw pies in people's facesprofessors, ex-boyfriendsfor a fee."
I knew I liked that guy.
hatchback
AG
Here's a recent article from The Texas Tribune about Clay Jenkins.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/04/dallas-county-coronavirus-response-ahead-curve/

Quote:

Never in his years of public service, he says, has a sense of urgency been more vital. Jenkins recites the numbers off the top of his head if 2% of his county's residents are sick at the same time, there's enough hospital beds. Above that, it could mean devastation.

Quote:

Constitutionally, Texas counties derive their power from the state. In recent years, an incessant tug of war has developed between counties trying to exercise local control and Abbott and GOP lawmakers trying to shift more power to Austin. But as the threat of coronavirus fanned out across the state, Abbott left tough decisions about closures and stay-at-home orders to local leaders whose judgment he's recently questioned. He's even welcomed local officials to outpace the state.
YouBet
AG
He's a Baylor grad?

I guess that explains him raping our local economy.
MattAg06
AG
It's like the Perryman report means nothing to Baylor grads anymore....
CampingAg
AG
Can we pay him to go throw a pie in Tommy Curry's face?
Trucker 96
County is in the hands of an ambulance chasing baylor grad. Notice how that is generically described as a flattering "small business owner"
TexasAggie008
AG
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/political-dispute-reveals-lack-of-communication-between-state-and-local-leaders/287-13cc8b7f-6340-4475-a8ce-2f71005b0ec8

Such a toolbag
FincAg
AG
You seem to really loathe Clay Jenkins. I do not know him personally but I like to think our elected officials are trying their very best to plan and prevent outbreaks in their areas.

Here's another side of the story, the part where they don't want to spend 3mm a week until occupancy rates are higher in our area hospitals. No use in putting patients in the convention center until they cannot be treated in our state of the art healthcare centers. Also, this would be for recovering patients and less urgent medical services while those in most need are treated in ICUs

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/05/governor-threatens-to-move-emergency-medical-resources-from-dallas-county-if-they-arent-used/

And some unnecessary undermining when correspondence is leaked to the press before our local leaders receive said letters.

Maybe we keep the politics out of medicine.
TexasAggie008
AG
Follow the dude on twitter, and his non stop prodding of abbot, and tell me about keeping politics out of it

He wants to be governor ... plain and simple. That is all this is about
hatchback
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

He wants to be governor ... plain and simple. That is all this is about
I don't know the guy and he might have sights set on being governor, who knows.

But I believe his actions and decisions are made doing his best to keep Dallas County safe and Governor Abbott has largely left it up to the counties and cities to decide how to handle this pandemic.

The steps taken to ensure the health of Dallas County are going to be different than those taken for rural counties in West Texas where everyone is essentially socially distancing by default.
TexasAggie008
AG
He's worn abbott out to effectively mandate dallas county-level policies on the whole state

That is what he wants
nai06
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

He's worn abbott out to effectively mandate dallas county-level policies on the whole state

That is what he wants

Then maybe Abbott shouldn't be governor. If he's going to let a county judge push him around, he should step aside.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
nai06 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

That is what he wants

Then maybe Abbott shouldn't be governor. If he's going to let a county judge push him around, he should step aside.
tysker
AG
FincAg said:

You seem to really loathe Clay Jenkins. I do not know him personally but I like to think our elected officials are trying their very best to plan and prevent outbreaks in their areas.

Here's another side of the story, the part where they don't want to spend 3mm a week until occupancy rates are higher in our area hospitals. No use in putting patients in the convention center until they cannot be treated in our state of the art healthcare centers. Also, this would be for recovering patients and less urgent medical services while those in most need are treated in ICUs

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/05/governor-threatens-to-move-emergency-medical-resources-from-dallas-county-if-they-arent-used/

And some unnecessary undermining when correspondence is leaked to the press before our local leaders receive said letters.

Maybe we keep the politics out of medicine.
That article is not flattering of Jenkins at all. It's seems as if he is acting alone and without regards to city or state approval. Also, where is he getting this estimate from
Quote:

"We're not going to just put people in there for the purpose of showing the media that it is being used," he said at Sunday's news conference. "It is to be used as a COVID step-down unit when there's hospital capacity issues probably in a week or two so that we free up bed space for people who need ventilators and those sort of things."
If we have a surge in hospital bed needs in 2-3 weeks, the SIP and social distancing that has been occurring for the last 3 weeks has been for not.
double aught
AG
Quote:

That article is not flattering of Jenkins at all. It's seems as if he is acting alone and without regards to city or state approval.
I don't have feelings about Jenkins one way or the other, but if this is going anything like Ebola did, then no one else is stepping up to lead.
Phat32
AG
nai06 said:

752bro4
AG
nai06 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

That is what he wants

Might want to walk that comment back.
culdeus
AG
Abbot is in the toughest spot of any Gov. You have giant cities with well developed medical systems and public hospitals, and you have huge swaths of land with more cattle than people.

A county by county response is absolutely appropriate. And Abbot can't be tasked to keep up with every single case and county. Maybe Tom Green county can tolerate to keep stuff open, but we should close nail salons in Highland Park.

Using county commissioners and sheriff's office seems the right approach. As it turns out we tend to elect some real morons to those posts because we insist on making them align with political parties rather than by qualification.

powerbelly
AG
Just in case no one has said it yet... Clay Jenkins is a ****ing scumbag.
grego
AG
Part of me thinks the day a cure is found will be the worst of "Judge" Clay Jenkins career.
dcbowers
AG
Not a fan of Clay Jenkins at all. Disappointing that he self-righteously goes after Hobby Lobby, yet allows "essential businesses" such as car washes and liquor stores to remain open.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YouBet
AG
Who ever thought Hobby Lobby would be the recurring lantern in the dark when it comes to companies fighting against government overreach?
DFWTLR
AG
His explanation for liquor stores is so alcoholics don't go into withdrawls and require hospital beds. I'm all for keeping liquor stores open (and nearly everything else since you can argue everything is essential), but I wonder how many beds alcohol withdrawal would actually take.
Chewy
AG
DFWTLR said:

His explanation for liquor stores is so alcoholics don't go into withdrawls and require hospital beds. I'm all for keeping liquor stores open (and nearly everything else since you can argue everything is essential), but I wonder how many beds alcohol withdrawal would actually take.

Is this real? That's actually the logic used? He's an effing moron for even saying that.

Shouldn't he also say anyone dealing drugs can do so in plain sight so those addicts won't need hospital beds?

That is such a moronic take.
DFWTLR
AG

Here's where he confirmed his reasoning on twitter, but 'the doctors' told him so, he's said it more than this once, but it's the only one I could find.
dcbowers
AG
DFWTLR said:

Here's where he confirmed his reasoning on twitter, but 'the doctors' told him so, he's said it more than this once, but it's the only one I could find.

What about his reason for keeping the car washes open?
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FincAg
AG
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prohibition-makes-a-comeback-11586214623?mod=mhp

Pennsylvania's Liquor Control Board announced March 16 that liquor stores would close the next day. The state hoped to keep residents at home, but instead Pennsylvanians flocked to buy booze while they still could. Lines stretched around the block, and sales spiked to $29.9 million in a single day"the most spent on booze in Pennsylvania in one day, according to complete sales records dating back 12 years," the Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week.

Many residents are now driving to neighboring states to buy alcohol, potentially bringing the virus with them. The Monongalia County Health Department has banned liquor sales to anyone without a West Virginia ID, and Delaware police are pulling over out-of-state drivers and instructing them to go home.

Pennsylvania's Liquor Control Board resumed limited online sales on April 1. But it restricts orders to six bottles per transaction and can't guarantee that all who want to buy alcohol can. The number of orders immediately overwhelmed the site, and the state now rations access to the online store, too. Black markets thrive when the government refuses to let supply match demand, so expect to see rum runners make a comeback.
TexasAggie008
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/07/dallas-county-commissioners-vote-to-limit-judge-clay-jenkins-emergency-powers/
DFWTLR
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/07/dallas-county-commissioners-vote-to-limit-judge-clay-jenkins-emergency-powers/
Doesn't restrict much, just says Clay must give the commissioners hours notice before implementing further restrictions on essential businesses. But at the very least seems the commissioners are getting frustrated with him too.
TexasAggie008
AG
Yep...but, effectively having city counsel decide vs one person is still progress
ItsA&InotA&M
JWP and JJ are going to fight any extension of SIP. JWP is going to get pawn shops and check cashing places open at a minimum. In any event, the conference calls discussing Jenkins ideas will be a riot to listen to. JWP is going to use the race card to get his way and he'll be calling the dems on the court racists. JJ, a Republican, will most likely vote with Price. Strange bedfellows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.