Metroplex
Sponsored by

Synthetic grass

4,906 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any recommended vendors?

We're in Frisco.

Southwest Fence is quoting over $13 per sq foot to install it along w/some privacy screens we're having built around our pool. We're looking at approximately 700 sqft b/w the house and the pool as well as the spaces b/w the concrete pads we built as pool decking.

Cross-posting on the home improvement board.
culdeus
AG
That seems high. Tbf I'm somewhat surprised this hasn't gone diy yet. I've seen how it goes in and it's a pretty simple process.
Comeby!
AG
We were thinking of doing a putting green like this and it seemed way to expensive.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Late to the party, but Synthetic Greenscapes just finished our backyard, and we love it. Price came out to just over $10 per sq foot.
YouBet
AG
We had our smaller back yard done about 5 years ago and f'ing love it. Paid somewhere around $10/ft. We used a company called simply Dallas Synthetic Grass, but I'm not seeing them anywhere now with a quick web search.

Our area is more of a walk through garden than a yard though. Synthetic grass is perfect for something like that. Also, if you have big dogs it solves issue of them destroying grass and turning everything to mud pit.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We're going w/Turf Rocks after receiving several recommendations via PM and on the home improvement thread on Texags.

Install isn't until mid-may. The price is good, around $8.50 per sqft. I'll update once complete.

Obviously not much to use as a rating yet, but they've been very nice to work with thus far.
Ken Adams
AG
We're in McKinney and considering going with turf.

Any good questions or things to know going into it? We're about to start reaching out to some of the names recommended here.
YouBet
AG
mattmb917 said:

We're in McKinney and considering going with turf.

Any good questions or things to know going into it? We're about to start reaching out to some of the names recommended here.
I guess the obvious first thing would be is to make sure you are allowed to. However, I assume it's not a problem in McKinney or your neighborhood. At one point, there were some neighborhoods in Dallas where you weren't allowed to and folks got fined.
Ken Adams
AG
True. We're just looking at small sections in the backyard <400 sq ft. I've actually seen a couple neighbors with it in the front.
DeBoss
AG
I've had mine in now for 6 weeks from TurfRocks. Still love it even more. PM me if you have any questions.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
BrianDemarais
AG
We had our backyard done. My wife called several vendors and they pretty much all came back the same on price. We used Synthetic Grass DFW, they were fine. We looked into it early last fall and they said if we waited until December/January that they would do 10% off the price, so that's what we ended up doing.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Turfrocks is on the schedule for mid-May. Might need to push them if some other stuff isn't done before then, but already paid my 50% deposit!
DeBoss
AG
Congrats!! I hope your experience was as awesome as mine and good for you supporting a local family!
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
Ken Adams
AG
Just finished up installation with Turf Rocks last week. Only been a few days but loving it so far. Water drainage has been put to the test a lot in the last couple days and it's held up just fine with no spot flooding or anything.

They're already booked through August and a handful of their inventory is on back order.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I got a quote from North Texas Luxury Lawns that was around $8.50/sq ft for their top end material, but it was for around 1000 sq ft so price per foot is higher for smaller projects I think.

You can get great turf from Costco for significantly less than that but not sure about finding someone to install it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My Turfrocks install was awesome. They're coming back to finish one spot that was intentionally left out. They ran out of turf and were going to return the next day, but I asked them to hold off until I confirmed there wasn't a gas leak due to some other work in the yard.

The remaining area isn't visible until you're next to it and isn't walked on, so no worries if it takes a bit.

All that to say - it was a fantastic experience. We had to delay them several times while waiting for some fence work to be done so the fencers didn't tear up the turf. They rolled with us and were able to move us out a few weeks w/out kicking us to the back of the line later in the summer.

I can't recommend them enough, nor thank the Texags posters enough that responded in the forums and PMs.
Take the trash out staff.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Any chance we can get some photos of these jobs?
Garrelli 5000
AG

They also added the small tiles. they're just thick heavy duty tile from Home Depot. Price also includes sprinkler work - capping, minor rerouting if necessary, etc.
JoCoAg09
AG
Looks great!
FreeLunch
AG
That looks really good. Is that a pool or a fountain? What contractors did you use for the other work?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thank you.

it's a lap pool. 10 ft wide, 32 long then 5x10 spa.

Pool: Gold Medal

Landscaping (plants, stone edging around beds, landscape lighting, etc): AMA - I need to re-mulch so don't blame them on the shape of the beds. I didn't pay them to do that when they added the stone edging recently that replaced bend-a-board. We added the 6x6 edging because our dogs were knocking mulch all over the yard and we knew that with synth turf we need a much taller bed board so we weren't constantly pulling mulch out of the turf.

Privacy screen at each end of the pool: Southwest Fence - we went with aluminum that is powder coated and textured to look like wood.

Initially we chose Ipa wood but 2x2 is actually more like 1.4 x 1.4. we were concerned that even as hard as Ipa is that over time the horizontal slats would warp. With .5" spacing between each one even the slightest warping would make it look like crap. As they are we can see past them but they provide enough coverage to not feel on display to the world. They claim zero maintenance other than hosing off periodically if you desire. No staining/sealing since it is all aluminum.

it is a corner lot with a lot of foot traffic due to people walking to their community mail boxes. We built as far from the corner as possible due to how much usable yard width you loose due to easements next to sidewalks. Likewise our neighbors for reasons we do not understand built their home as close to the easement on our side as possible, therefore their patio is right by the house. They're great people but too damn close.

I hung the string lights.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.