Metroplex
Sponsored by

Who do you use for internet service?

3,128 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OKC~Ag
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like this virus is finally going to give me the opportunity to work from home but Spectrum sucks and I can't imagine trying to use their service for work purposes. I've been meaning to change for a while now but I've been lazy.
bco2003
AG
Spectrum here for the last 3.5 years. I think I can count on one hand the number of times its been down and have been pleased with the service.

What's your complaint with the service?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Super slow as of the last month or so.
schwabbin
AG
AT&T fiber is really good. In fact I think I saw something about them offering free for 60 days. But you might have to prove a hardship.
Jet1085T
AG
I have spectrum internet and really like it but I got it so I could I also have spectrum mobile which is about 115 dollars cheaper than my AT&T unlimited plan was.
bco2003
AG
Junkhead said:

Super slow as of the last month or so.
Are you sure it's not a router or cable modem issue?

I would love to have AT&T Fiber and would switch to it, but it is not offered in my area.
Know Your Enemy
AG
No, I'm not sure. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this. How would I know what is causing it?
Jet1085T
AG
Just a guess but maybe the router/modem that you are using? I have my own because I didnt want to rent the equipment from spectrum.
Matsui
AG
Spectrum
Att U-verse
TAMUallen
AG
My spectrum internet is running about 235Mbps down in DFW. You should have yours checked out because something isn't right
DadAG10
Reboot if you haven't in a while.
John Francis Donaghy
Junkhead said:

Looks like this virus is finally going to give me the opportunity to work from home but Spectrum sucks and I can't imagine trying to use their service for work purposes. I've been meaning to change for a while now but I've been lazy.

How long has it been since you bought a new modem/router? Speeds are always increasing, if you're running old equipment it might not be able to handle today's speeds.
Know Your Enemy
AG
DadAG10 said:

Reboot if you haven't in a while.
I did that within the past week.
Know Your Enemy
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Junkhead said:

How long has it been since you bought a new modem/router? Speeds are always increasing, if you're running old equipment it might not be able to handle today's speeds.
I'm using what they gave me when I signed up. Guess I need to call them and request a new one.
YouBet
AG
ATT Fiber for 1G.

Just know you are forced to use their gateway which at last check was two options: a Pace or some other brand I don't recall. General consensus is that the other brand is better.

You can use your own router but no way around using their gateway.
flyingaggie12
AG
Don't get ATT Fiber. It's absolute trash. Their routers are hot garbage. I'm currently in the middle of a 12 month contract and my internet will "hang" trying to load stuff with me having to constantly refresh until it fully loads in a snap. Almost like a DNS issue. But apparently it's a wide known problem that has to do with their crappy modems.
Oautlawag2005
AG
TAMUallen said:

My spectrum internet is running about 235Mbps down in DFW. You should have yours checked out because something isn't right

Same here
Know Your Enemy
AG
Thanks for all the help. Crazy enough, but everything was running great last night despite me not changing anything.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I have had Spectrum for several years and it is great.....and fast. I stream 4 TV's, my phone and internet.

If you have problems I would call Spectrum. Their tech service is great as well........and no I do not own any stock in them.

I have had problems twice. They couldn't fix it and gave me the option to wait for a tech the next day or drive 15 minutes to one of their stores and pick up the latest modem and router.

EDIT: No contract either.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
wbt5845
AG
I have Spectrum. It's routinely 350 MB. Love it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Replaced the modem/router and everything has been good since. Apparently my equipment was 5 years old.
John Francis Donaghy
Glad you got it figured out. Now is not the time for crappy internet speeds.
DeLaHonta
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

my internet will "hang" trying to load stuff with me having to constantly refresh until it fully loads in a snap. Almost like a DNS issue. But apparently it's a wide known problem that has to do with their crappy modems.
Mine does the exact same! I figured it was an issue on my end, not AT&T's modem. Glad to know it's not just me, I guess.

I have AT&T fiber 300/300, and pay $43.14/month, all-in. When it works, it's very fast. When it randomly hangs, like the above poster described, it makes me want to throw my computer out the window.
hatchback
AG
We've got AT&T 1gig fiber at the house. I'm most thankful for the lack of a data cap with this plan. My wife and I are now both working from home. I'm transmitting large 3D files over a VPN and she has numerous video calls each day with her administration and teachers.

I checked on my recent usage and our house of two is approaching 500gb for the month. I suspect that a lot of that is streaming Hulu, though.
fooz
flyingaggie12 said:

Don't get ATT Fiber. It's absolute trash. Their routers are hot garbage. I'm currently in the middle of a 12 month contract and my internet will "hang" trying to load stuff with me having to constantly refresh until it fully loads in a snap. Almost like a DNS issue. But apparently it's a wide known problem that has to do with their crappy modems.
Have you tried changing your DNS to something like cloudfare? That's what I have my upstream DNS set to on my pihole.
YouBet
AG
DeLaHonta said:

flyingaggie12 said:

my internet will "hang" trying to load stuff with me having to constantly refresh until it fully loads in a snap. Almost like a DNS issue. But apparently it's a wide known problem that has to do with their crappy modems.
Mine does the exact same! I figured it was an issue on my end, not AT&T's modem. Glad to know it's not just me, I guess.

I have AT&T fiber 300/300, and pay $43.14/month, all-in. When it works, it's very fast. When it randomly hangs, like the above poster described, it makes me want to throw my computer out the window.
I'm having a lot of DNS server issues lately on my wired PC. I either have to wait it out for a few minutes to resolve or just restart the computer to clear it out.
YouBet
AG
Is anyone using Spectrum's gig service?

n/m - not available at my address.
Shumba
AG
Any spectrum users have issues with Go To Meeting video calls? I get about 300 Mbs down, but only like 10 mbs up. If I'm pushing video on the call, then it severely deteriorates the call. Like everything is choppy and the other callers can't hear me. I'm a bit concerned for next week because my kids are going to be using webex for school, and the wife and I will be using GTM and Zoom for calls. I'm hoping Spectrum will support this surge. Anyone else having issues like me?
bco2003
AG
I don't use GTM, but am having no issues with Zoom or WebEx on Spectrum/Charter in Frisco.

Also beefed up my home network by running some Ethernet to my home study, and added eero mesh wifi with Ethernet backhaul connecting the access points. Since we'll be working from home a while longer.
schwabbin
AG
10 mbs upload is pretty bad if you're anywhere near DFW
fooz
Rise Broadband because I'm outside city limits in Anna.
Raptor
AG
We have Frontier 100/100. We pay $72 total per month and have not had any real issues. My wife and I teach, so we've both had zoom meetings at the same time. No connection issues or lagging. We are in North Dallas.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

OKC~Ag
I have frontier 500 Mbps fiber for the past 9 months and it is no better than spectrum 100Mbps. They are both solid.

After being distributed from my router, my wifi speed test range 60-120 Mbps on Frontier...On spectrum 60-80Mbps ... on 5g radio.

Spectrum automatically raised the speed to 200 Mbps close to end of my contract. I could not tell the difference between 100 vs 200 Spectrum. I can't tell the difference between spectrum cable 200 vs Frontier fiber 500...either.

Frontier fiber is interesting. Frontier brings fiber to house and fiber modem at house junction which in turn has ethernet cable which goes to router radio. I tested cabled speed test at router level and Frontier did spit out close to 500 Mbps.

Spectrum has coaxial cable to house and from that to modem and from modem to one ethernet to router radio.

Bottom line, for most 100 Mbps is probably fine for most. To get the benefit of higher speed, I will need cable computer set up or more robust router...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.