Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring storms 2020

34,468 Views | 305 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rubble
Cappo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tons of rain in Denton/Little Elm area
Phat32
AG
What a treat
Phat32
AG
Great morning rain storm but holy **** some lightning almost took my head off on the back porch. Shook.
Hood
AG
These early morning thunder boomers are the bees knees.
lawless89
Grass is happy
aggielostinETX
AG
yukmonkey said:

Great morning rain storm but holy **** some lightning almost took my head off on the back porch. Shook.

Yeah, that one shook my house
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
The Collective
AG
Did not want to get out of bed. Fortunately still WFH, so I didn't have to. Just grabbed my laptop and started the day.
wangus12
AG
Lightning is nuts this morning. Also forgot to roll up the window in my SUV so the passenger side is soaked this morning.
Spaceship
AG
Our neighbor two streets over got hit by lightning about 6:30 this morning and house totally burned. Heartbreaking.

We're in Bridlewood in Flower Mound and there were two other homes that burned in Lantana this morning.
planoaggie123
AG
That is awful. That was one heck of a light show. I work around 4:30 and never went back to sleep.

Seems so bizarre to think it could happen but if its going to happen, nights/mornings like the one we just had are times when it would...
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

Lightning is nuts this morning. Also forgot to roll up the window in my SUV so the passenger side is soaked this morning.

That sucks!
Phat32
AG
Awful
Rubble
AG
Spaceship said:

Our neighbor two streets over got hit by lightning about 6:30 this morning and house totally burned. Heartbreaking.

We're in Bridlewood in Flower Mound and there were two other homes that burned in Lantana this morning.

I'm in lantana and heard all the sirens. Just awful.
wangus12
AG
Spaceship said:

Its just crazy to think that that is even possible.
CavitationAG
AG
There have been 2 or 3 houses this year that I know of in Las Colinas that are believed to have burned down due to lightning strikes. It's in a newer neighborhood so there aren't many mature trees which means the houses are the highest spots around. People are starting to put grounded lightning rods on their roofs from what I've heard.
Wheatables02
AG
wangus12 said:

Spaceship said:

Its just crazy to think that that is even possible
Dang, just South of you all in Wellington
Spaceship
AG
I've been pricing out lightning protection systems this morning. I've been wanting one for about a year and this was the final straw. Our house is quite tall and feels like a sitting duck.
planoaggie123
AG
just curious...me being lazy...mind giving some ballpark numbers of what you are seeing?
Spaceship
AG
planoaggie123 said:

just curious...me being lazy...mind giving some ballpark numbers of what you are seeing?

It ain't cheap. Our 2 story 3,500 sf home with several roof ridge lines is $6,000-$7,000
planoaggie123
AG
Ouch. Does insurance give you a break?
Spaceship
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Ouch. Does insurance give you a break?

Allegedly, although I bet it's small.

I'm still calling some other folks to see about less expensive options but I'm finding that not all systems are "certified" which makes me suspicious.
planoaggie123
AG
I guess the point is to save lives, not money but still would be interesting if there is some "relief" on a monthly basis. As you mentioned, probably not a lot.

I am not there yet on this but definitely something to consider....
Comeby!
AG
Are there any city codes that address lightning issues on the front end? We have the same issue in our neighborhood in Frisco. This is happening way too frequently that certainly something is in the building code about proper grounding.
The Collective
AG
There are too many structures in a relatively small area where houses are the tallest objects.
aggielostinETX
AG
I Have Spoken said:

There are too many structures in a relatively small area where houses are the tallest objects.

This. Buy in clear cut hoods, and you are the target.

AggieKatie2 said:
aggielostinETX
AG
Comeby! said:

Are there any city codes that address lightning issues on the front end? We have the same issue in our neighborhood in Frisco. This is happening way too frequently that certainly something is in the building code about proper grounding.

Proper grounding isn't the issue. Lighting will cook a residential system. You need a legit commercial lightning rod set up.

AggieKatie2 said:
Rubble
AG
Lightning struck on the other side of our next door neighbors house last year. It fried the control module on our upstairs ac unit, two routers, a cable modem, and our alarm controls. It struck on the other side of the house next door and did that to our house.

I agree with the fact that you need a commercial grade system or your house is effed if it gets struck directly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.