Metroplex
Sponsored by

Phone Thieves - Plano/Frisco

3,821 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bocephus
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5+ black guys have been going around the past week physically assaulting females to take their phone. My 17 year old was a victim this evening at the Chick-fil-a at Preston/121. We know someone that was a victim at a nearby Starbucks and someone else that was a victim in the Legacy West parking garage.

They will gather with a couple on lookout, then one basically rips it right out of their hand. Cops said happening frequently in this area. Definitely treating this more serious than a car smash and grab due to the assault nature. Half a dozen cops responded to the scene, and I saw others cruising the area after. They got good video from CFA for this one.

In any case, be vigilant and ask your wives/daughters to do the same.
Trucker 96
Reached out to local news last night to see if I can get this ring publicized to warn people and get these guys pics on air. Fox4 called me back, asked for details, are following up with the plano police in the other crimes, and if I was willing to be interviewed (yes), so I hope to make some progress in getting these dicks caught
bbattbq01
AG
Scary, hope your daughter is okay and not too traumatized.

Silver lining if you can get fox4 to send Hannah Battah our to interview you?
AG
whats the payoff, parts black market? Who doesn't password and track their phone these days?

Seems like a very low payout opportunity with a high chance of running into a 3.6%er

Trucker 96
My guess is they find some schmuck on the other end thinking they are getting a deal on a used phone when in reality they end up with something no carrier will work with. And some of it may just be hoodrat thrill
aggolfer
AG
Friend of mine works at the corporate In n Out burger and said they have been having this issue alot lately, but more in South Dallas.
Texker
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Reached out to local news last night to see if I can get this ring publicized to warn people and get these guys pics on air. Fox4 called me back, asked for details, are following up with the plano police in the other crimes, and if I was willing to be interviewed (yes), so I hope to make some progress in getting these dicks caught
I thought about doing this just because it needs to be publicized. I have a contact at KXAS and KTVT. Contacts at WFAA have retired/moved elsewhere but you can submit to them online.
Trucker 96
Detective came by the house. One suspect has been picked up. I saw a security pic of the actual guy that took it. The dude seriously looks like Kyler Murray LOL

Also got more clarity on the payoff. They sell them to these hole in the wall cellphone repair places that can parts them out
proc
AG
Cell phone chop shops. Makes sense.
bco2003
AG
Thanks for the update.
schwabbin
AG
I guess these thieves don't understand 'Find My iPhone'
bco2003
AG
schwabbin said:

Since they're harvesting the phones for parts, Find My Phone provides little value.
Trucker 96
schwabbin said:

Disabled by thieves less than 5-10 minutes after stolen. Stolen at Preston and 121. Last location at Preston and Warren, less than a mile away.
AgBlitz
AG
I was at the AT&T store in Oak Lawn / Uptown area for service and 3 guys (same description) ripped 7-10 new display phones, several tablets and other high end items out of their anti theft cables in front of a room full of customers and 5+ employees, before casually walking out ( upwards of 10K stolen). No guns were flashed by design but it was unnerving nonetheless. A rep at the store advised after that it happens to them at least once a month by the same group of guys.
schwabbin
AG
Same description? So they were black?
Bocephus
AG
AgBlitz said:

I was at the AT&T store in Oak Lawn / Uptown area for service and 3 guys (same description) ripped 7-10 new display phones, several tablets and other high end items out of their anti theft cables in front of a room full of customers and 5+ employees, before casually walking out ( upwards of 10K stolen). No guns were flashed by design but it was unnerving nonetheless. A rep at the store advised after that it happens to them at least once a month by the same group of guys.

The worse they will get from the current DA is probation so why stop?
Bocephus
AG
lt230 said:

whats the payoff, parts black market? Who doesn't password and track their phone these days?

Seems like a very low payout opportunity with a high chance of running into a 3.6%er

They pawn them. Go into a pawn shop sometime and you will see hundreds of cell phones.
double aught
AG
Wouldn't they need the password to pawn them?
Trucker 96
I think some of the pawns are just down on their luck folks desperate for money. Reporting it stolen basically makes it useless to use in the US since it get blacklisted (at least if you want actual cellular coverage vs. it to be a wifi only super mini ipad). As I mentioned above, the cop says the iphone repair places are the primary outlet, although I'm sure some do end up pawned.

In any case, the detective has called about once a week to update, but this investigation mostly seems to be toast at this point
TXAGFAN
AG
I hate thieves.
Bocephus
AG
double aught said:

Wouldn't they need the password to pawn them?

I know you can do stuff on iPhones through Siri. If you're good enough, you get it and set it to factory settings and that is that. I don't think pawn shops care. Pawn shop will sell you a $300-500 phone for $80 or $100 and it's your job to find a carrier.
Bocephus
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I hate thieves.

Talk to the DA. He thinks they're just being punished for being poor
Bocephus
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I think some of the pawns are just down on their luck folks desperate for money. Reporting it stolen basically makes it useless to use in the US since it get blacklisted (at least if you want actual cellular coverage vs. it to be a wifi only super mini ipad). As I mentioned above, the cop says the iphone repair places are the primary outlet, although I'm sure some do end up pawned.

In any case, the detective has called about once a week to update, but this investigation mostly seems to be toast at this point

Frisco PD or Plano?
Trucker 96
Plano. A detective was assigned and actively working, updating us numerous times, stopped by our house to get the serial # from the box, showed us a security cam pic of the suspects, etc. I think they have a guy in custody (for something else) they thought may be connected to these guys and he was hopeful that would go somewhere, but it hasnt panned out so far. His updates were all him proactively reaching out to us instead of us to him, and I do feel like diligent effort has been out on it. But as this coronavirus stuff has taken off, I'm sure priorities are shifting
Trucker 96
Best chance was probably for them to get caught in the act on a subsequent attempt, but with everything shut down, there's not really the opportunity to try.
Bocephus
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Plano. A detective was assigned and actively working, updating us numerous times, stopped by our house to get the serial # from the box, showed us a security cam pic of the suspects, etc. I think they have a guy in custody (for something else) they thought may be connected to these guys and he was hopeful that would go somewhere, but it hasnt panned out so far. His updates were all him proactively reaching out to us instead of us to him, and I do feel like diligent effort has been out on it. But as this coronavirus stuff has taken off, I'm sure priorities are shifting

Sounds like he is much more dedicated than most. Kudos to him
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.