Metroplex
Sponsored by

Schools and Real Estate Development

1,640 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gvine07
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Random question, but I was having this discussion with someone and was sort of curious (as I do not know). For example, city A wants to build a new apartment complex. The property where it would be built is zoned to the ISD for city B. Does the school district for city B have a say in how the property gets developed, seeing as they get the influx of students? I would assume yes, but I do not know for sure. I know there are examples of this all over DFW.
cadetjay02
AG
Could be wrong, but-
City handles zoning and can zone and allow whatever to be built without consulting ISD. The ISD is responsible for all kids in their zone whether single family or multi-family. If the zoning is already done then there really isn't much that the ISD can do to impact development. Now, if it was zoned single family and a developer wants to rezone to multi, then they could let their concerns be known to the city.
Yes, DFW has a lot of mixed City/ISD lines, but they are different entities with different scopes of concern.
Spaceship
AG
I think generally the ISD doesn't have much recourse.
sawthemoffxx
Zoning is set at the municipality level. City A would not be building an apartment in City B. If you are referring to the school district in City B, then no, they have no say.
jtraggie99
AG
sawthemoffxx said:

Zoning is set at the municipality level. City A would not be building an apartment in City B. If you are referring to the school district in City B, then no, they have no say.

Yes, the second is exactly what I meant. And I just had a conversation with someone who use to sit on school boards and was told the same thing. ISD's have basically no control what a city does within their school boundaries, regardless of the impact to the school district. Thanks!
MGS
Nope, that's why McKinney put all of their Section 8 housing in Frisco ISD, fewer voters to complain about it.
jpd301
AG
The I in ISD stands for Independent. A lot of good comes from being separate from the county, city, or state. This is an example of the bad side of that independence.
cdw1382
They don't quite have no say. They can sue

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2007/november/north-lake-the-trouble-starts-here/
jtraggie99
AG
cdw1382 said:

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2007/november/north-lake-the-trouble-starts-here/

And this is exactly the issue. I just do not see how the state of Texas allows cities to basically run roughshod over school districts. School districts should have at least some say in developments that could drastically increase enrollment. Just saying "tough, deal with it", is asinine.
dcAg
School districts should have absolutely no say in anything related to businesses or how to run businesses. They can barely run a school district. You know why they are so poorly run? Because former teachers are admistrators and are executives at the district level. Some of the dumbest people you will ever meet.
dave94
AG
A public school is just that, public. Whatever municipality they're in, that's who they are there to serve. Now, if shady things are going on in the zoning realm, it's on the City to squash that.
gvine07
AG
jtraggie99 said:

cdw1382 said:

And this is exactly the issue. I just do not see how the state of Texas allows cities to basically run roughshod over school districts. School districts should have at least some say in developments that could drastically increase enrollment. Just saying "tough, deal with it", is asinine.
Welcome to Texas, home of decentralized governments. The school districts are independent of the city dealings, and the city dealings are independent of the school district. That's what we signed up for.

Oversimplification: in general cities get their tax revenues from sales tax, and school districts get their's from property taxes. They have competing interest. The cities almost always win.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.