Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best place to Live South of the Metroplex?

4,701 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgFB
MediAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys, moving to the metroplex area soon for a job. Curious if anyone has any recommendations about a good area for a young family to live. Young kids and such.
aggie_wes
AG
Mansfield?
MediAg13
AG
Been looking all around. All seem to be decent options but I have no firsthand knowledge of any of them. My job frequently leaves the family home alone overnight so I want to be sure I get a better feel for them.
The Shank Ag
Little further west than those options but Burleson and Cleburne are great smaller options
Bunbury
AG
Is it 30 minutes south on highway 67, 35E, or 45?
MediAg13
AG
35E
aggie_wes
AG
Waxahachie is a decent little town, but I don't know anything about the schools there.
chupacabra tacos
AG
Mansfield is a great town with a great future. The city planners are doing a great job. The schools are great and they are located at a great spot for most areas south of 30, except for Dallas. There isn't a direct way to get there.
We lived in Mansfield for 15 years. We moved to Midlothian last year. We love Midlothian, but we still do most things in Mansfield.
The plus side of Midlothian is you get more home for your dollar It is also easier to get to Dallas. It's a straight shot to 67 into I35 to Dallas.
If I was starting fresh in the area with no ties and wanted south it would be Midlothian. You'll get so much more home for your dollar.
JonSnow
Lakeridge on Joe Pool Lake.
tree91
AG
Where is the job? We've been in Ennis for 17 years and love it. Been pretty happy with the schools.
DE4D
AG
Midlothian. South of 67. Enjoy avoiding foundation issues. Ywia.
MediAg13
AG
Thanks for the replies, seems like there has been some positivity about most of these areas.
Matsui
AG
Midlothian.
The Shank Ag
Grandview schools aren't bad at all and is a real tight knit community.
DE4D
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Zebras always do!
Ol Jock 99
AG
The 13 in your handle leads me to an important question: are you married/seriously dating?
MediAg13
AG
Married and kids
Buford Tannen
AG
For those of you in the know, how are the schools in Midlothian? Work in downtown Dallas but considering a move out there to get some space. Have 3 small kids.
SuzyQ06
I live in Mansfield. We love it.

I would also consider Midlothian and Waxahachie. I don't know anything about their schools though. Waxahachie seems to have a great tight-knit local feel to it. I had court there one morning and loved the downtown area. We may actually start venturing that way for our date nights soon.

I know nothing about Midlothian.

I'm from Cleburne (also recommended to you on here). It's a great town, but can be clique-ish. Cleburne has potential, but always seems to stumble when it comes to advancing. Waxahachie felt like Cleburne, if Cleburne made the right moves 20 years ago.
chickencoupe16
AG
sw@n said:

The Shank Ag said:

Zebras always do!

Shhhh, don't tell them!

-GHS '12
Post removed:
by user
Dynamite08
AG
Live in Waxahachie and sending both my kids through school here (wife from here, but i'm from South Texas). Great tight knit community with solid schools. Experiencing a ton of growth (building two new elementary schools, just built new high school, new junior high coming soon, etc.). I love it because i'm 25mins from Bishop Arts and 30 from downtown Dallas. Property values are solid and steadily increasing. Ton's of new homes being built.

Can't go wrong with either Midlothian or Waxahachie to live, but i will say that Waxahachie has a lot more commercial growth and development potential than Midlo. More places with stuff you need here (Academy, HEB, nice hospital, etc) Happy to show you around if you'd like.
EllisCoAg
AG
Also add Red Oak and Ovilla. I live in Midlothian myself, but kids are grown so can't speak to the school system.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
WilsonSolution
AG
If you want more of a small town feel, come on over to Ennis. Good schools and a good place to live and raise a family
Pepper Brooks
AG
Ennis also has the Texas Motorplex drag strip if you're into that sort of thing. I'm from north dallas but travel to ennis for that alone.
Danny Vermin
Went to Jr High and High school with Mayor Cook .Great dude!
OkinTexas
MediAg13 said:

Been looking into Mansfield, Midlothian and Waxahachie areas. All seem to be decent options but I have no firsthand knowledge of any of them. My job frequently leaves the family home alone overnight so I want to be sure I get a better feel for them.

I second Mansfield.
12TMN
AG
We've lived in DFW since 2000, originally up in the Allen/Plano area for 18 years, we moved to Midlothian a year ago - I work in Waxahachie now - almost bough in Wax (tons of old historic homes there) but ended up between Ovilla and Midlothian (Midlothian schools but out of city limits) and we love it here. It's a bit of a drive to get into town but our location keeps us a bit closer to Arlington as my wife works at UTA.. Mansfield is nice but Midlothian is right behind it as up and coming but I still like the small town feel. Somehow after living here for a year I know more neighbors and members of the community than 18 years in Allen.
Gil Renard
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Went to Jr High and High school with Mayor Cook .Great dude!

Chris Chris is that you? You're so cool you went to school with the mayor! Congrats on the Alamo Bowl you must be on cloud 9. You're baaaaack
breezecustomtravel
AG
We just moved to Midlothian/Waxahachie area about 6 months ago and we are absolutely glad we did! We were in Mansfield and liked it but wanted a little more room/acreage.
I grew up in a very small town and wanted something similar so, we really like the small town feel of Midlothian and Waxahachie and glad to have HEB again!
We are in Midlothian ISD and was really glad we were able to do that; have heard some really great things about the schools here.
My husband works in downtown Dallas and doesn't mind his commute at all.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
80sGeorge
AG
N Dallas here but Waxahachie gets my vote. Really cool little town. Plus you get Dale Hansen and the high school mascot is the Indians. Seriously know a couple of folks from there and love the downtown
AgFB
AG
Would definitely choose Midlothian schools over Wax...
Heisenberg01
AG
If you're looking for some place livable south of Dallas, head South on IH-45 and stop once you get to The Woodlands!
AgFB
AG
Take it to the Houston board
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.