Metroplex
Sponsored by

Hiking/Nature trails in DFW?

1,935 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by erin2003
BoomGoesThe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know we live in a flat concrete jungle, but are there any good places to take 7-10 year olds?
Hincemm
AG
Grapevine lake, cedar ridge preserve, cedar hill state park. Many options.
jpd301
AG
By hiking and nature I assume you mean unpaved?

Here are some of the places my 8 & 10 year olds enjoy.

Elm Fork Nature Preserve - unpaved - Short trail with some wetland ponds toward the back. Boys have found some snakes here.

Arbor Hills Nature Preserve - Paved/Unpaved Most of the unpaved is meant for mountain biking but I just let the boys play in the creeks and root around in the woods off the paved paths.

John F Burke Nature Preserve - unpaved Pretty short but they have enjoyed it and have stumbled upon a huge snake or two.

lake lewisville Environmental learning Area been meaning to check this one out - Looks great.

Cedar Hill State Park

Mineral Wells State Park

Dinosaur Valley State Park - they love hiking, checking out tracks, and then swimming in the river.
BoomGoesThe
Thank y'all very much, I really appreciate the suggestions and the great links (and yes, I was looking for unpaved).
AW 1880
AG
Good recommendations above. Eagle Mountain Park is a nice one on the NW side of DFW.
PatAg
AG
jpd301 said:

By hiking and nature I assume you mean unpaved?

Here are some of the places my 8 & 10 year olds enjoy.

Elm Fork Nature Preserve - unpaved - Short trail with some wetland ponds toward the back. Boys have found some snakes here.

Arbor Hills Nature Preserve - Paved/Unpaved Most of the unpaved is meant for mountain biking but I just let the boys play in the creeks and root around in the woods off the paved paths.

John F Burke Nature Preserve - unpaved Pretty short but they have enjoyed it and have stumbled upon a huge snake or two.

lake lewisville Environmental learning Area been meaning to check this one out - Looks great.

Cedar Hill State Park

Mineral Wells State Park

Dinosaur Valley State Park - they love hiking, checking out tracks, and then swimming in the river.
River Legacy Parks in Arlington as well. They will also run nice events for kids pretty often.
AggieFrog
AG
Fort Worth Nature Center. 3,000 acres on a fork of the Trinity with trails, buffalo, praire dogs, & canoeing. About 20 minutes northwest of downtown Fort Worth off of 199 (between Lake Worth and Azle).
Candiru
AG
The Heard Museum outside of McKinney
GMM
+1 for Cedar Ridge Preserve and FW Nature Center.

Grapevine trails (Horseshoe, Rockledge/North Shore, etc) are good, but have to keep an eye out for all those mountain bikers.
SuzyQ06
Walnut creek linear park in Mansfield. It connects downtown Mansfield with about 10 miles of paved trails. Oliver Nature Park in Mansfield is also great.
Pro Ag
AG
LELLA would be good for kids that age. My kid had done a summer camp there and we've had two field trips through the school.
hatchback
AG
Trinity River Audubon Center is a good option, too.
jtraggie99
AG
DORBA has a pretty good list. They also keep it updated when trails are opened/closed

https://www.dorba.org/
DE4D
AG
Quote:

, cedar ridge preserve

eot
erin2003
AG
There's a DORBA trail along the entire north shore of Grapevine Lake. It can be accessed through multiple points in Grapevine & Flower Mound.

Lake Ray Roberts Greenbelt is a state park owned trail between Lake Lewisville & Lake Ray Roberts.

All of the state parks nearby have great trails, both paved and unpaved. Parks within 2 hours of the metroplex include Mineral Wells, Cedar Hill, Dinosaur Valley, Cleburne, Lake Tawokoni, Lake Ray Roberts (2 units), Eisenhower.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.