Metroplex
Sponsored by

Who to call - water in crawl space

1,136 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by culdeus
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted from the home improvement board.
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3072167

Anyone dealt with drainage issues and water getting into the crawlspace?

Looking for an "expert" i can trust on this.

The crawlspace guys jump straight to encapsulation and a pump. The foundation guy that initially did the work seems a bit out of his element.
culdeus
AG
This is super common. A sump pump should manage this fine
culdeus
AG
I mean this is one of those 500 dollar jobs that they will charge you 5000 for because it's a beating. It's not Rocket surgery.

Don't overthink it. I can ask around for someone that's had to deal with this more recently than I have. I had to have a new pump put in and had a plumber do it, but all the encap and drain lines were done by the prior owner.
harge57
AG
Have you seen the Sump Pump without encapsulation work? One company said we could start with a sump pump and dehumidifier and then add encapsulation if necessary.

I am getting a lot of conflicting recommendations.

Some say french drain outside to prevent the water. Others saying sump pump in the crawlspace. Engineers on home improvement board leaning away from the sump pump and more towards regrading or different drain system.

My priorities:
1. Stop the water from getting in the crawlspace and prevent any future mold growth
2. Remediate any mold in the crawlspace
3. Clean all air vents of any mold
culdeus
AG
harge57 said:

Have you seen the Sump Pump without encapsulation work? One company said we could start with a sump pump and dehumidifier and then add encapsulation if necessary.

I am getting a lot of conflicting recommendations.

Some say french drain outside to prevent the water. Others saying sump pump in the crawlspace. Engineers on home improvement board leaning away from the sump pump and more towards regrading or different drain system.

My priorities:
1. Stop the water from getting in the crawlspace and prevent any future mold growth
2. Remediate any mold in the crawlspace
3. Clean all air vents of any mold
So the prior owner did all of it. French drain and routed all the gutters to the street/alley, encapsulated, and sumped the crawlspace. Cost $18k all in along with some changes and removal of any wood with signs of getting wet in the crawl space, new gutters, the works.

I think sump pump and make sure the gutters drain well away from your structure is the path most people ultimately opt for as it's not nearly as expensive as all-in and does fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.