Metroplex
Sponsored by

Cross Country Movers Dallas to NYC

1,802 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jograki
aggie0607
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any recommendations of moving companies that can help me move my stuff cross country from Dallas to NYC. I have about as much stuff as can fit in a 700 sq ft Manhattan apartment.
powerbelly
AG
Sell everything you have in dallas and buy new stuff in nyc
aggie0607
AG
I have actually thought about that.
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Sell everything you have in dallas and buy new stuff in nyc
That's the right answer.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
AgBQ-00
AG
Movers all suck. I have never heard of anyone having a great experience with cross country movers, myself included
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
TXAGGIES
I have moved from DFW to Southern Georgia, Southern Georgia back to DFW and again DFW to North Mississippi, luckily all corporate moves, but for the what they paid for those moves I would sell anything I could and buy new/used stuff when I got into town. Pack what you need in a uhaul and take it yourself, otherwise you are looking at $10,000+ for packing/moving and any potential storage.

The Pilot
AG
Not necessarily true. I just ran a quick quote on ABF U pack and 1 relo cube would run ~$2K. Conservative estimate of $500 for movers on both ends and you can do move from Dallas to NYC for around $3K.

Even at that price, I'd consider selling and buying new as others have stated.
tysker
AG
I would also suggest selling and buying new/used when you get there. Also dont be afraid to question the purpose and necessity of stuff you're taking. You might think you'll need your old textbooks but then you'll be questioning that decision we carrying up 6 flights of stairs on the LES and then store them in a closet where you'd rather have another pair of cold weather shoes/boots and a heavy coat.
Matsui
AG
Call the folks who sponsor texags. They moved me from Cali to Texas. Great service.
aggie0607
AG
Who sponsor's TexAgs?
BrianDemarais
AG
Fantastic Moves-Aggie owned her in Dallas
John Francis Donaghy
If you insist on keeping your furniture, just rent the smallest uHaul they have and fill it up. Whatever doesn't fit in the truck, ain't gonna fit in the apt anyway.
Quinn
AG
We used United Van Lines when we moved back from New York to Dallas and we were happy with them. Make sure you get the specified delivery date. We had a window of delivery for when we moved up, and it was a nightmare.

Take as little as possible - I would recommend just bed, dresser, couch, etc; important items. You'll want new stuff to fit your new life. 700sq feet can be a mansion in New York - we had 300 sq feet in our first apartment! What part of the city are you going to be living?
tysker
AG
Quinn said:

We used United Van Lines when we moved back from New York to Dallas and we were happy with them. Make sure you get the specified delivery date. We had a window of delivery for when we moved up, and it was a nightmare.
Ya you may need to coordinate with your landlord/super as to what days or hours are available for move in. Some landlords require a couple weeks notice to get on the schedule (the super prob doesnt care as much as long you dont mess up his elevators or take too much time). Its one thing to have a 10-15 dolly loads and another to have 20 full elevator loads. Assuming you will even have access to an elevator...
Matsui
AG
D&D Moving
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
We did UPack (which is just Old Dominion or ABF) when we moved from Dallas to Oregon. Ended up at around 4.5K, but we moved in the middle of summer making it much more expensive. I think if we would have moved in april it would have been closer to 2.5K.

This was for a 2300 sq ft house too, rather than a 700 sq ft apartment.
DevilYack
AG
We used United to move from Oregon to Texas last year. I think the final cost for the load (3300 sq ft house full of junk) was almost $25K. If I could have gotten the cash, we would have moved about 500 sq ft worth of stuff and sold everything else.
aggie0607
AG
Thanks guy. I ended up going with Upack as it seemed way cheaper than the rest for what I am doing (around 2k). I am going to be living in Nomad on 29th and Park in a high rise that was just built last year.
The Pilot
AG
The national guys fleece everyone because they are accustomed to dealing with people whose employers will cover the costs and don't really care about a price.

We quoted United and Allied and aside from the price you'll also find stories of them taking forever to deliver your stuff. Unless you have a huge house that can fill the entire semi, it could be anywhere from a few days to 14 days before your stuff finally arrives.

With U-Pack you just have to make sure that your stuff is well packed, both in boxes and within the container, you don't want stuff shifting. We had two pods moved and nothing broke including two large TVs and a Big Green Egg. Our stuff left Dallas on a Tuesday evening and was in Denver by Friday morning.
jograki
AG
OP, I echo the others to confirm your move-in time with your new building's super so they can mark it on their calendar and have padding in the elevator. I moved from Manhattan to Dallas last year and my movers had to wait 40 minutes until the allowed moving timeframe started for the building (I thought it was an hour earlier). Luckily they didn't charge me for the wait because during that time we inventoried everything. The moving company will only be giving you a window, keep the super in the loop. Plus since you're in a nice building, be prepared to tip the super and doormen during your move (even if they aren't physically helping).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.