Metroplex
Sponsored by

Moving location advice - DFW

3,089 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by '03ag
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy all. I know this thread has been done a few times, but looking for some help keying in on a few potential areas to move as our commutes are/will be horrible. Trying to find the best "worst case" for us.

Current Location: Allen - home owner

Current Job: High Five, but second office in SW FW off IH20/Chisholm Trail. My main office is flexible plus I work from home and avoid rush hours when I'm in the office. Multiple staff at our office do this but live in North Dallas. Looking to avoid that for now.

Her job: Job offer that would greatly grow her career in Colleyville. She's been waiting multiple years for this. Guessing we will happily take it.

Family: No kids, but trying.

Where should we look:??

Saginaw, Blue Mound, Keller/Watauga, HEB, Grapevine, Coppell, Colleyville, Arlington, Irving were ideas to explore. Any other areas you would consider or take off the list for just being a really bad idea?

I've lived in North Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Allen my whole life (minus A&M). Don't know these areas well enough as far as commuting and whatnot.
cadetjay02
AG
Hmmmm, that's an interesting one. Obviously, the first question is what budget are you looking at?

Gut reaction is you primary out of High-5 office and look in Coppell or Colleyville. Since you're flexible, make her commute easier. You making Fort Worth your primary doesn't leave you with a lot of great options in the middle.
Carlo4
AG
I think we might be looking to rent short term if possible (6-9 months) to avoid a crazy fall schedule.

Rent budget $2500 and under for a home (mortgage and taxes are about this). Looking to sell our home hopefully for $380,000, but probably lower.

Purchase probably $450,000 or lower so long as interest rates stay low. With the new promotion, we now bring in about $190,000 annually before taxes/bonuses. We don't need a large home (2,000 SF or lower works).
Elmo Lincoln
AG
If you're comfortable in the burbs, I'd say Grapevine/Colleyville give you the best options. 121 to Chisholm to I-20 isn't that bad. It might be a little hard to get in Colleyville proper in your price range, but maybe in certain areas? Don't know Colleyville real estate prices that well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Where in Colleyville? Sounds like you'd be trading one commute for another.

I haven't driven it in the morning, especially going West from Allen/McKinney, but the Rayburn 121 Tollway from Allen to Colleyville is about as straight a shot as you're going to get in terms of a commute. It may have heavy traffic, take 30-45 minutes or more some days, and cost a little, but it will end up being WAY better than anything going from the north side of the metroplex to the south side. Plus, where you are at right now is about as ideal a place to be in North Texas (at least, metro area) as it gets.

I would try it out for a few months before I made a move. If she truly can't handle the commute, then you can make a move then.
agchino
AG
I think you could definitely do 2000 sq ft for under $450k in Colleyville or Grapevine. We just purchased a 3400 sqft home with pool for low to mid $500s.

You might even be able to squeek in Southlake for that price, but there might not be anything that small in Southlake.
agchino
AG
My opinion on Ranking of School districts you want to look in

GCISD, Southlake, Coppell

then

Keller

then

HEB, Birdville

then

Irving, Arlington
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake....maybe Coppell?

Will also depend on the type of home you are looking for. Obviously you can get more bang for your buck if you don't need a home that's completely updated in those areas, but you're not looking for a huge home so it opens up some options for you.

I've worked with many on these boards and would love to help you when it comes to any of what you mentioned....renting for a while, selling your current home, helping you buy when the time is right.

Let me know if you'd like to talk.

Cody

Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Hincemm
AG
coppell
Quinn
AG
Like others have said, I think Colleyville/Grapevine and then Coppell are the best choices. You should be able to find something decent and you can give your wife an easy commute. Your commute won't be the best, but it would be a straight shot.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The biggest problem with Coppell is that to get anywhere, you have to go Denton Tap or Beltline, or Sandy Lake on the North side. THEN you get to get on one of the busier freeways in the area -- I35, LBJ, Bush/161 and 121. If you live anywhere near Bethel and Denton Tap and needed to go south around 4-5, all I can say is good luck.

True, there is traffic everywhere, but I would think long and hard before moving to Coppell unless I just didn't go anywhere except during off peak traffic hours. It is incredibly land and road locked unless you live near the freeways.
turf guy ag
Hall Johnson/ HWY 121 area is probably the best compromise for both of your offices and an easy commute for your wife starting a new job. Plenty of good homes and neighborhoods in the area just west of that intersection and easy access to several highways for you. Grew up in the area, family still lives there.
turf guy ag
On another note, I think moving to make the wife's commute as easy as possible is the right play. You have the same job and the commute is what it is. Nothing changes there. On the other hand, the stress of wanting to succeed in a new role creates stress, which can be exacerbated by a tough commute/ heavy traffic etc. Just my opinion but my wife went through that a year or so ago and the commute definitely up'ed her stress when she was trying to prove herself with the new company.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Moved to Colleyville 5 years ago. Both my wife and I work along 75 near the high five. Commutes isn't bad, but both directions are into the sun. Lived in Frisco for 13 years before that and thrilled with the move.

At your price range, Southlake is likely out. South side of Hall Johnson east of Pool (Grapevine) is in the right range, there are other pockets too. If you want newer homes in the area, would need to go to the Glade (and a bit South) area, East of 121 in Euless.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Quote:

Family: No kids, but trying.

Obvious response here, but make sure you're accounting for either a lost income or daycare when considering your plans. Regardless of what math you're using to decide on a target, those will have an impact when the time comes.
LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
Hi! Im a realtor with an office in Southlake and Grapevine. I know the areas really well! And we do a LOT of moves to Coppell, Trophy Club, Grapevine, Colleyville, and Southlake for the school districts. I have a ton of good info if you'd like to chat.

You can't go wrong with those areas, but there are certain quirks to a few of them. For example, there is a pocket of Grapevine zoned for Carroll ISD, but you don't pay Southlake prices. And part of Colleyville is zoned HEBISD...that's totallllly different than GCISD.

For resale purposes, these are all important to look at.

Let me know if you'd like some info on these areas!
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
https://www.Championsdfw.com
Quinn
AG
LacyMilaniRealtor said:

Hi! Im a realtor with an office in Southlake and Grapevine. I know the areas really well! And we do a LOT of moves to Coppell, Trophy Club, Grapevine, Colleyville, and Southlake for the school districts. I have a ton of good info if you'd like to chat.

You can't go wrong with those areas, but there are certain quirks to a few of them. For example, there is a pocket of Grapevine zoned for Carroll ISD, but you don't pay Southlake prices. And part of Colleyville is zoned HEBISD...that's totallllly different than GCISD.

That's Tara, right? From back when Bell was the best HS?
LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
Bell is a great school It gets a 6/10 rating...and it's in a good location
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
https://www.Championsdfw.com
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Quinn said:

LacyMilaniRealtor said:

That's Tara, right? From back when Bell was the best HS?

There's also a sliver of Colleyville that is zoned for Keller ISD (closer to Precinct Line Rd). I live close to the Hall Johnson/121 area mentioned earlier in the thread, been very happy with the schools and it's pretty easy to get on whatever highway you need to get where you need to go.
OldAg92
AG
Bell graduate here (a hundred years ago), now living in NRH right near the border with Colleyville. I know kids aren't here yet, but if you are considering schools, we've had 3 kids go through GCISD schools and three through Birdville schools. To be honest, we've been more impressed with Birdville (although the neighborhood you live in and the schools you are zoned for are very important in this district). If you can get a home zoned for Porter Elementary (or Walker Creek) and Smithfield Middle, you can't go wrong.

In your price range, North Richland Hills has some nice homes in the Precinct Line/North Tarrant area. Also some nice homes in north Hurst that are zoned for the schools I've referenced.

If you are looking at Grapevine-Colleyville schools, there is also an area of north Hurst zoned for great GCISD schools, and the home prices will be significantly less than Colleyville real estate.

Plenty of good options in this area. Congrats to your wife for the Colleyville gig - I'd love to find something closer to home so I wouldn't have to commute downtown every day.
Carlo4
AG
Hot damn lots of great advice in the thread. We appreciate it!

So her job is literally on the Colleyville border near the Precinct Line/Tarrant/Davis triangle. The fact that a few of you nailed that down by sheer coincidence is awesome.

We are definitely thinking long term for the area so would consider schools in the equation.

I will say her sister is a realtor so we will be using her. Thank you for those that posted regarding this. I know you have a great reputation.
Quinn
AG
Born and raised in Hurst, so I've got love for Bell (even though I didn't go there).
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
Bell alumni here as well, glad to hear it still has a good reputation!
Ag CPA
AG
If you are interested in Carroll ISD, there are a few neighborhoods in Grapevine and Keller that feed into the district and should be in the $400s. Smaller homes/lots but still great neighborhoods.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
OldAg92 said:

Bell graduate here (a hundred years ago), now living in NRH right near the border with Colleyville. I know kids aren't here yet, but if you are considering schools, we've had 3 kids go through GCISD schools and three through Birdville schools. To be honest, we've been more impressed with Birdville (although the neighborhood you live in and the schools you are zoned for are very important in this district). If you can get a home zoned for Porter Elementary (or Walker Creek) and Smithfield Middle, you can't go wrong.

In your price range, North Richland Hills has some nice homes in the Precinct Line/North Tarrant area. Also some nice homes in north Hurst that are zoned for the schools I've referenced.

If you are looking at Grapevine-Colleyville schools, there is also an area of north Hurst zoned for great GCISD schools, and the home prices will be significantly less than Colleyville real estate.

Plenty of good options in this area. Congrats to your wife for the Colleyville gig - I'd love to find something closer to home so I wouldn't have to commute downtown every day.

Will also put a plug in for NRH. It's 23 minutes to downtown Fort Worth and neighbors Colleyville. Birdville is a good school district.
'03ag
Wife and I are Bell alumns. Live on the southern end of colleyville zoned for HEB. We love it here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.