Metroplex
Sponsored by

Starting Chemo Soon Where to go in DfW for a good wig?

2,668 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jomogo12
Texas Ag Mom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any ideas & tips welcome. Thanks!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

First off, prayers for you and your family.

Seventeen years ago my wife began the fight that you are now entering, Today she is cancer free (has been for many years) and there is no reason why you cannot be as well.

The main point, The American Cancer Society (please donate) will provide free quality wigs. Call them.

We were living in College Station. One Sunday morning at church, a returning student (who was gone for the summer and was not aware she was undergoing chemo), complimented her on her hair. He said Ms, _____ your hair is always so perfect,
She thanked him and we moved on. We did have a good laugh later. I don;t think he ever knew.

Long story short, the wigs they supply are top quality,

Call the American Cancer Society today.

God bless you and prayers for you.

One tip that she has is go ahead and shave your head (after you get your wig). She said the sadist time of the whole process was one morning after chemo began, she was in the shower and her hair came out in chunks. She was not ready for that.

One other tip her doctor gave her. Once your friends hear your are fighting cancer, everyone has a friend etc that has gone through this. When they begin relating their story, smile and thank them but remember your cancer is different than anyone else's. Move on and follow the advice of your doctor and not someone off the street.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Texas Ag Mom
Thank you!
cadetjay02
AG
My mom is dealing with lung cancer right now and lost her hair a couple months ago. She doesn't really like her wig and just prefers the head scarf thing. I'll ask her where she got hers. Good luck!
SoCalAg97
AG
May God be with you.
Ol Jock 99
AG
They have a place at the cancer center at Presby Dallas.
TXAggieMom11
One of my coworkers bought one at One Salon in Grapevine. I went with her to pick up and was impressed with the compassion of everyone there. She too found wearing scarves and soft caps better but wore her wig on occasion.

Many prayers for complete healing.

https://www.onesalon.me/one-boutique
Duncan Idaho
I say this as a cancer survivor.

Screw the wig. Shave your head. Own it and eff cancer.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't know how ladies would feel about them, but I wear Buff head scarfs and have been wearing them for many years (I am hair challenged, at least on top). They stretch but do not have a seam (have no idea how they do that), and can be worn in many configurations. Plus, they come in a ton of different colors and prints.

Amazon Buff collection
Ol Jock 99
AG
Doc Jock says "Survivor Gals" in Plano has good stuff. If your insurance doesn't cover, a doc rX can get a discount.
Aries
Check with your clinic. My work has a wig shop in the building. Wherever you do get one from, take it to your hair dresser & have them shape it & make it more you. Makes a big difference.

I'm a chemo nurse so if you have any questions, I might be able to help.
LSB_2002
AG
Not exactly sure where you are located, but I know that the Women's Center at the Baylor Hospital Downtown Fort Worth has a shop specifically geared towards women fighting cancer. They have wigs, scarfs, etc.

wbt5845
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

No advice but best of luck to you. My son has whipped cancer and you will too!
Southlake
Godspeed
agcrock2005
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I say this as a cancer survivor.

Screw the wig. Shave your head. Own it and eff cancer.
I took this route twice as well, but I'm a dude. Think it's a little easier for us guys to go hairless. Just celebrated my 13 year anniversary of brain cancer. Will keep you in our prayers OP!
Texas Ag Mom
Thanks for all of the advice & encouragement. I had my first chemo on Thurs. Bought a wig today & trying to figure out the best way for me to navigate my journey.
agcrock2005
AG
If there is a "good" in your type of cancer it's that you have a huge network of people (outside of family) that have gone through it, are going through it, and can provide help/guidance throughout your not-so-fun journey. Technology in treatment is amazing these days as well so get comfortable with your doctors and find a good support group for your type of cancer and try to relax. Sounds easy I know. People used to ask how I was and I'd say "FINE". It really meant ****ed, insecure, neurotic and emotional. Didn't mean anything to them but I got a inside laugh when it happened. Corny I know.
Jomogo12
I highly recommend the Cancer Support Community of North Texas. They have locations all throughout the mextroplex and can provide so many resources and direct support through this journey. I have volunteered with them for the last 3.5 years!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.