Metroplex
Sponsored by

Lakewood Flats Apartments

1,206 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by John Francis Donaghy
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is moving to Dallas and looking for an apartment in the $1000 range.

She has a job in downtown

Her favorite so far is Lakewood Flats. It's near the arboretum and right on the Sandra Fe trail. It's got excellent reviews.

I'm just not sure about that neighborhood. I remember the area close to Fair Park was kind of sketchy. Any advice would be appreciated.

I grew up in Lake Highlands, but haven't lived in Dallas since college.

She loves Lower Greenville and Lakewood.

She also like Inwood Station and The Village.
hatchback
AG
That part of Dallas is across the street from the "Lakewood HIlls" neighborhood and down the street from the Hollywood Heights neighborhood. She'd be far enough away from the sketchy neighborhoods near Fair Park. I live nearby and drive E Grand to work every day and would live there. The proximity to the Santa Fe Trail and White Rock Lake is a nice perk.

Be warned, though, La Vista at E Grand backs up badly during the school year because of parents dropping off their kids at Mata Elementary School. La Vista is the only road in and out of those apartments.
powerbelly
AG
I would start in the Villiage for a year and then she can decide where she wants to move once she has a better feel for Dallas.
The Pilot
AG
That area is not sketchy. I lived at Lakewood Greens about 7 years ago and really enjoyed it. Pretty quiet, close enough to downtown(my work) and really close to WRL.
walton91
My girlfriend lived there for several years, and I currently live just across Grand so I know it well. Is the area safe? Yes, absolutely. Quick comparison

Pros: access to Sante Fe trail, easy access to the lake, The Lot, White Rock Alehouse, Cane Rosso, etc. Apartments are nice, and still fairly new. They have an option for valet trash, which is nice especially if she will be on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The drive downtown is easy, and she will be close to Lakewood (obviously) and Greenville. Garland Rd has a cool section just up the road with Good Records, Lounge Here, and others. There are two grocery stores, and an Ace Hardware very close. Overall, the location is the greatest feature.

Cons: Despite being open buildings, the complex uses lockers for package delivery. Some packages get to your door, others will be in the lockers in the office building. Its a huge complex so it can be a hike or drive for packages if you have something heavy delivered. During the holidays the package lockers fill up and the couriers just leave the boxes stacked up in the room, out in the open. The gates at the entrances break fairly often, and will be down/open for weeks at a time. If you pay for covered parking, and someone parks in your spot, you don't have any recourse. Complex threatens towing, but never does. Despite being a large complex they really only have something like 4 dumpsters which are constantly full. Last year, the dumpster by my girlfriend's building was full, so people just started throwing their trash and discarded furniture into the little housing around the dumpster, which also filled up and stayed full for months. I always felt sorry for the people whose apartments were right by that scene. General parking is scarce, so depending on her schedule, she may have to hunt for a spot that can be a building or 2 away from hers. The management company also seems to change yearly for some reason
SVaggie84
AG
Thank you for the replies. I think she would love living near the trail and White Rock Lake. Our home in California is near a bike trail that leads to a lake, so it will be similar to that.

Good to know about the school. She'll have to plan her commute around that.
SVaggie84
AG
Thank you for the replies. I think she would love living near the trail and White Rock Lake. Our home in California is near a bike trail that leads to a lake, so it will be similar to that.

My mom lstill lives in Lake Highlands so she can always ship things there during the holidays.

Im guessing she'll move there. She loves Lakewood and Lower Greenville area.

John Francis Donaghy
SVaggie84 said:

Tell her to check out Oak Lawn near the Katy Trail as well. It's another good option close to downtown with easy acces to a major walking trail. No lake though, and while $1000 wont go quite as far, it's still doable in that range. The two areas will have different feels, so I would suggest she spend an afternoon walking around each neighborhood, and just see which she prefers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.