Metroplex
Sponsored by

AC companies?

1,751 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MGS
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AC blowing but not cold. Any recommendations on who to get to come out on a Sunday that won't charge insane amount? Thanks.
jagged
AG
I'm in lake highlands and use Air Force One. Have had them but on a Sunday but at some point we got on the maintenance plan when we needed a repair.

Did you check the filter or look to see if the coolant line was frozen up? A frozen coil can be one reason it runs but doesn't cool.

Buford Tannen
AG
Go outside and make sure the condenser is running. If it is, touch the big pipe to see if it is cold. If it is, your coils are likely frozen.
clobby
AG
Damn, same problem here. Coils not frozen. Warm air blowing. Air filter changed.
Goose
AG
Also make sure your condenser coils are clean.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't have much time/leverage considering it was hot as hell and Sunday. I went with Berkey's after a buddy of mine had some work done with them. It was a capacitor that had to be replaced. It wasn't cheap but I slept well last night!
redass1876
AG
so the compressor fan wasn't turning? for others checking the thread, if it is on inside, and the fan isn't turning, bump it with a stick and if it starts after that, it is the capacitor

can buy a new one at Grainger for under $30 and easy to change. Just make sure you discharge it before touching the nodes (close the circuit with an insulated handled screwdriver)

Takes 5 minutes once you have diagnosed and have the part
agcrock2005
AG
redass1876 said:

so the compressor fan wasn't turning? for others checking the thread, if it is on inside, and the fan isn't turning, bump it with a stick and if it starts after that, it is the capacitor

can buy a new one at Grainger for under $30 and easy to change. Just make sure you discharge it before touching the nodes (close the circuit with an insulated handled screwdriver)

Takes 5 minutes once you have diagnosed and have the part
This is depressing...paid $483.
redass1876
AG
If it makes you feel any better, i just had to pay $5500 for a whole new system. Leaky air handler coil and 10 year old compressor/condenser so just replaced the whole 4 ton system.

For future reference, the capacitor and the contactor (compressor circuit board) are both easy to replace and typically the problem if the compressor won't turn on. Contactor is about $50 at grainger as well but need to have your model number for that as there are more of them

biggest problem is that Grainger isn't open on weekends or holidays and that is when these things are scheduled to break lol. Was without a capacitor for 3 days in July once before i could get it running again. fortunately i have 2 systems

Vade281
AG
A coworker of mine opened up a business called https://www.goairservices.com/ Great guy with great service. If you talk to the owner (Sammer), tell him JR sent you.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
bco2003
AG
I keep backup capacitors on hand since they're cheap and so easy to replace.
clobby
AG
Capacitor and a couple pounds of freon.....$630.
MGS
bco2003 said:

I keep backup capacitors on hand since they're cheap and so easy to replace.
Probably should also keep backup contactors for the same reason. (I picked one up at Amazon for $10)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.