Metroplex
Sponsored by

Is Traffic Getting Better?

3,248 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hatchback
Post removed:
by user
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yet a massive group of *******s, who lost last year, stopped us from fixing 635 all the way around.
culdeus
AG
75 is still a **** show. It could just as easily be more people working in galleria and Las Collins
Post removed:
by user
CrawlingNo5
AG
75 still blows
Danny Vermin
30 is awful at peak times.
TexasAggie008
AG
In short - yes, I agree with the op

But for the love of god .... building these great express lanes on 114 and then letting 18 wheelers / trucks with trailers drive in then almost defeats the purpose

I'd be fine paying any amount of extra $ if there was 0 chance of getting behind lumbering 18 wheeler going 55mph
TAMUallen
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

In short - yes, I agree with the op

But for the love of god .... building these great express lanes on 114 and then letting 18 wheelers / trucks with trailers drive in then almost defeats the purpose

I'd be fine paying any amount of extra $ if there was 0 chance of getting behind lumbering 18 wheeler going 55mph

Bingo.

There's construction and slowdowns for Express lanes, not normal traffic. Enforce minimums and restrict large trucks from left lane
Phat32
AG
Minimums enforcement would fix a lot of the express lanes.

Fixing mother****ers on their cell phones would help the rest.
bbattbq01
AG
I have to get on 121 for a short time past 35 towards Frisco. It's a parking lot in the evenings. They are working on adding a lane, hopefully that will help. Don't know how people going all the way to Frisco stay sane on that road.
JBLHAG03
AG
I work from home, so now even sitting in traffic at the Chick Fil A drive thru pisses me off.
Rice and Fries
I take Preston Rd everyday from legacy to the Preston Center off Hwy 12....just to avoid the DNT. I'm not gonna pay a toll to sit in traffic and I get better gas mileage on Preston.
YouBet
AG
Deats said:

Yet a massive group of *******s, who lost last year, stopped us from fixing 635 all the way around.

Didn't we get that back on the docket though?
752bro4
AG
Rice and Fries said:

I take Preston Rd everyday from legacy to the Preston Center off Hwy 12....just to avoid the DNT. I'm not gonna pay a toll to sit in traffic and I get better gas mileage on Preston.

Sounds like a good way to waste an hour in the car each day.
aggielostinETX
AG
YouBet said:

Deats said:

Didn't we get that back on the docket though?

One lane, not an express
Tree Hugger
AG
Quote:

Enforce minimums and restrict large trucks from left lane

They charge a premium for vehicles with more than two axles. The big trucks in the express lanes aren't going anywhere.
Ag CPA
AG
bbattbq01 said:

I have to get on 121 for a short time past 35 towards Frisco. It's a parking lot in the evenings. They are working on adding a lane, hopefully that will help. Don't know how people going all the way to Frisco stay sane on that road.
It's amazing how quickly the congestion escalated on 121 between Grapevine and McKinney the past few years.
wxguy95
AG
The merge of 287, 820, and I-20 has gotten worse.
TresPuertas
AG
as someone who spends a large majority of his time on the roads and highways around the Metroplex I can emphatically say....no

The roads may be ok, but there are so many people out on them at all hours of the day. The population boom has its effects on the traffic around here.
DollahBillzYo!
Don't worry folks they'll keep jacking up those tolls!
Ol Jock 99
AG
**********zYo! said:

Don't worry folks they'll keep jacking up those tolls!
Username checks out.
91AggieLawyer
AG
It gets incrementally worse every year. As certain roads get fixed I can see those who take those areas everyday can say it improves but if you go all around DFW or the western half of Dallas county (top to bottom) as I do, I'd be hard pressed to see how it has gotten any better all the way around.

With that said, it is all in where you're going and how you get there. Several years ago, I had to go to Lancaster 4 times a week in the morning from Irving. 25 minute easy drive -- down 161 to 20 and east past 35 no problem. I got down there quicker than I could have gotten to downtown and much quicker than I could have gotten to the Plano/Garland area. I think both of those locations were closer than Lancaster was to me.
HBCanine08
AG
Driving habits contribute to congestion and traffic too. Drivers consistently driving below the speed limits on the highways, driving slow in the left lane, braking for no reason, leaving huge gaps (could fit 2 18-wheelers sometimes) between them and the car in front, and slowing down when there's a merging lane 4 lanes away. You get folks from different areas, each with their own speed limits and driving habits, on the same highway it'll result in some chaos.
TexasAggie008
AG
absolutely

drivers here drive slower than in just about any major metro in the US.
Ol Jock 99
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Driving habits contribute to congestion and traffic too. Drivers consistently driving below the speed limits on the highways, driving slow in the left lane, braking for no reason, leaving huge gaps (could fit 2 18-wheelers sometimes) between them and the car in front, and slowing down when there's a merging lane 4 lanes away. You get folks from different areas, each with their own speed limits and driving habits, on the same highway it'll result in some chaos.

Where are you driving? That's not my experience at all on 635, 75, and DNT.
YouBet
AG
There are a few different entities out there tracking traffic issues and Dallas is significantly better than most other large cities, relatively speaking. Probably because of the constant massive investment we make in highway improvements around here.
752bro4
AG
If I ever ran for public office, I would do so on a two item agenda.

1) Actively patrolling left hand lane drivers
2) Never changing the clock back again

I would win in a landslide. After accomplishing these two items, I'd resign amid some sort of bribe/kickback scandal and be hanging out with Caraway.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The state is attempting to maybe stop time change. Maybe. Passed the house. Now to see how Lt Dan feels about it.
TexasAggie008
AG
As long as everyone is fine with the sun coming up at 830 AM in the winter
Ol Jock 99
AG
Fine by me.
FincAg
AG
Fine by me, means we have light till 6:30. My kids would like that.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/dallas?month=12
double aught
AG
Never cared about the time change until I had kids. Now I think it's the stupidest, most pointless idea, and I hate it.

If the state government gets rid of it, I would be shocked that they accomplished something.
hatchback
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

HBCanine08 said:

Where are you driving? That's not my experience at all on 635, 75, and DNT.
Few people seems to realize that the speed limit was raised on 75 from 60mph to 70mph a few years ago, everyone still muddles along at 60mph regardless of time of day or traffic. It's maddening.

However, neighborhood streets are a different story. People speed through Mockingbird or Buckner or Garland/Grand or NW Highway at speeds approaching 60mph most of the time.

It seems as if everyone's default speed in the city is in the 55-60mph range regardless of the road they're driving on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

As long as everyone is fine with the sun coming up at 830 AM in the winter
Works for me. Is it coming up at 7:30 that useful? Would rather have the extra hour of light at the end of the day.
hatchback
AG
I know this is only remotely relevant here... Drove down to Austin and back this weekend. Nobody knows how to drive on the interstates anymore.

18-wheelers and other slow traffic have migrated to the center lane doing 10-15 under the speed limit. When you couple this with people camped in the left lane doing the speed limit there's suddenly massive congestion on a 3 lane interstate with a speed limit of 75. It's infuriating.

I get that it's an inconvenience to be in the right lane and deal with merging traffic, but drivers on the interstate have the right of way and merging traffic has to yield. Instead, everyone drives in the center and left lane inconveniencing all drivers.

End rant.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.