Metroplex
Sponsored by

Tarrant County property tax thread

6,276 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SuzyQ06
80sGeorge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of my protest meeting with the Tarrant ARB.

In short the district value was about a 5% increase. I presented about a 1% increase to which they agreed.

The PropertyTaxIO report ended up being about 25 pages with various pictures and repair quotes. It's you in a small room with 3 review board members and 1 rep from the Appraisal District. You get a few minutes to present and they can rebut. I didn't get any questions and they agreed to my number. It was over with pretty quickly.

Two takeaways: 1 I should have gone the informal route prior to the meeting. I had a good case and they had no questions. 2 Believe it was worth it to get the online report from PropertyTaxIO.
SuzyQ06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I protested mine in person. Did it last week. I was very happy with my outcome.

In short, I bought a new house in April. They appraised it at over list price. I didn't have time to protest online, nor did I have the wherewithal to do any type "hired gun" stuff. I had to file my written request for a hearing the day of the deadline and then I forgot about it.

I just *happened* to protest on two fronts: 1) Incorrect noticed value; 2) incorrect appraised value based on market conditions. Thus, I had 2 hearings, back to back.

I already had my closing docs, written repair estimates for several things in the house, plus the inspection report. I pulled comps from recent sales too. I put everything together, tabbed, in a binder, making 4 binders total (one for each person). Everyone was very impressed that I could read and follow directions (I **** you not. EVERYONE.)

In the first hearing (the one about the condition of my house), TAD automatically reduced their value down to what we paid, but I was going for more. I got them down an additional 5k (meh) based on some undisclosed/undiscovered issues. The ARB panel was putting everything away and said, "do you want to waive your second hearing?" "No. I would like to proceed on my second hearing." (which was the incorrect noticed value)

The TAD rep spoke up and said that I may have misunderstood the "incorrect noticed value," and explained what it meant. I forget his explanation, but in short, I did misunderstand what that protest ground was in reality, but I said that I still wanted to proceed, gave a brief summary of why I thought the value should be even lower and rested. The TAD guy did his schpiel at a rate of speed that made my head spin... but then dropped my value by an additional $13k! All told, TAD agreed to drop my value by $28k.

Very worth it to me and I will be doing it again.

My takeaways: the ARB panel and the TAD rep are humans. Treat them as such. Be nice, be humble, and don't come out firing.

Take 4 copies of everything. They were most impressed with that and were that much more willing to accept my evidence.

Also, if you are a lawyer, don't tell them that. #imalawyer
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.