Metroplex
Sponsored by

Brock Ags - Water Crisis

4,701 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Theresa_cates@sbcglobal
agcraigb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope someone can help or give advice. We are in process of building a house in Brock/Lipan area and our builder went to get a water meter from Coop, but was denied. Apparently they are not giving out water meters until further notice. Board had a meeting in March and passed a moratorium on new water meters.

From what I was told, engineers with coop weren't properly monitoring situation and coop was handing out water meters without checking to see if they had capability to meet demands. Well now they have new engineers who have been researching situation and have found they're at capacity and beyond, hence the moratorium on new water meters.

We've looked into drilling a well, but have found that upper Trinity is not a good source and wells in neighborhood have been pumping 0gpm. The wells in neighborhood have been using them for irrigation. To this point, everyone is on coop water system. So drilling a water well doesn't sound like an option. There's another board meeting in April and hopefully we get approved for a meter

Has anyone run into this issue or know someone who has gone through this that can advise? If we don't get the meter I have to see what we can do to get out of contract with builder. Otherwise there'll be a house with no water.
wbt5845
AG
I personally would not use well water for anything but irrigation. Unless you are very lucky, the minerals in the water will cause all your appliances to wear out in a just a few years. My BiL has to replace his dishwasher and hot water heaters every three years due to scaliness in his well water. And forget about a water dispenser or ice maker in your fridge unless you want to be replacing those too.

If you can't get into the water coop, I would try to get out of the house. There have been a lot of stories in the last year bout water shortages in the Upper Trinity. You may not be able to even drill a well. Here's one story I found.

https://www.fwweekly.com/2019/01/09/straws-straws-everywhere/

Good luck.

The Collective
AG
Which neighborhood?

I'm on a well in a different part of PC. Have a softener and sediment filter, and I don't experience any issues, but well performance and water quality varies greatly across the county.
wbt5845
AG
CJS4715 said:

Which neighborhood?

I'm on a well in a different part of PC. Have a softener and sediment filter, and I don't experience any issues, but well performance and water quality varies greatly across the county.
And this is a good point - you just don't know the water quality until you've sunk the cost in a well.
agcraigb
AG
I talked to a well driller yesterday and they said there's no water under that neighborhood. Wells that have been drilled in neighborhood were for irrigation only and they said they are showing 0 gpm. So it's Coop or bust.
LSB_2002
AG
You looking to build in Sugar Tree?

If so, wells there are spotty and you have to have 3 acres to even consider it. My buddy had a place there, drilled a well and didn't have enough water to even use for irrigation without a storage system.

Have you reached out to your Mayor James Synowski? This is assuming you're in the City of Dennis.

We live in Canyon Creek Ranch.
The Collective
AG
Talked to a buddy who lives in Sugar Tree. He said they received a message from their HOA last week saying the water utility district informed them without prior notice that they were not issuing new water permits for new construction. Seems problematic for undeveloped lots or places under construction.
LSB_2002
AG
CJS4715 said:

Talked to a buddy who lives in Sugar Tree. He said they received a message from their HOA last week saying the water utility district informed them without prior notice that they were not issuing new water permits for new construction. Seems problematic for undeveloped lots or places under construction.
Very interesting! I don't hate it, however!

The Collective
AG
OP - I found this from Dec 2018. Is this the utility district denying you service? Looks like it goes back to last year which doesn't quite line up with my buddy saying the Sugar Tree HOA was caught off guard by this. It could be that nothing got back to them until a recent denial (maybe OP's case).
https://www.parkercountywater.com/documents/87/Temporary_Moratorium_Dec_20_2018.pdf
agcraigb
AG
I saw that too and asked them about that meeting. It did not apply to SugarTree. In SugarTree's case it's not about having enough water, it's an issue of being able to pump the water. The mess is no fair warning to people building in SugarTree. That's what I've been told by HOA and the SUD. The SUD has been open about it and know it's a mess, there's just not much they can do about it except for adding or upgrading pump at the SugarTree pump station. That will give some relief, but reality is they have some upgrades they need to make.
Theresa_cates@sbcglobal
COOP in Dennis pumps from the Brazos. Where are you?
agcraigb
AG
So good news... we were approved for a water meter at the board meeting last week. In the meeting they also discussed solutions for short term and long term. For immediate relief of the overtaxed Sugartree pump station, the district is going to get the Dennis pump station (idle) up and running so it can take the meters that are outside of the Sugartree neighbord off of the Sugartree pump station. There were a couple of alternates for long term solutions which include upgrading and adding pumps and installing overhead storage tanks.It just sounds like development is far exceeding the districts ability to keep up.
agcraigb
AG
Sugartree
wbt5845
AG
Wow - congrats.
bco2003
AG
Glad it worked out for you.

Do you know the reason for the change of heart from the board's initial meter denial?
agcraigb
AG
Thanks! We prayed a lot about it asking for God's will to be done and that's where all credit is due.
bco2003
The Collective
AG
Welcome to Parker County. Your taxes are welcome.
tk for tu juan
bco2003 said:

Glad it worked out for you.

Do you know the reason for the change of heart from the board's initial meter denial?
The utility district may have been able to get TCEQ off their backs long enough to allow new connections. One of the criteria for sizing pump stations is to supply somewhere around 2.0 gpm per residential connection on the system with the largest pump at the station offline. You can ask for variance on the minimum if the district can prove the daily peak water usage on the water system does not exceed a certain level over the past few years. The danger is the variance request to TCEQ opens up the entire system to their scrutiny to find other violations that have not been reported yet. Getting the idle pump station running probably also helped to meet the minimum requirements

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=30&pt=1&ch=290&rl=45
Theresa_cates@sbcglobal
In reply to agcraigb

moved from Big Valley 2 yrs ago, George Wootten was board president but retired 2017. If you ever have a need to clarify something, Derrod and Dakota are your don't miss contacts if they are still around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.