Metroplex
Sponsored by

North Texas Teen Book Festival

1,140 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nai06
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a heads up for anyone who might be interested, this weekend is the North Texas Teen Book Festival in Irving at the convention center. Its a one day event where 70+ Young Adult and Middle Grade authors come together for panels, discussions, workshops, and a large signing session at the end of the day. It's one of the biggest if not the biggest teen book festival in the country. They set up a Barnes and Noble inside the convention center with signed copies from all the authors at the festival and publishers will be giving away books all throughout the day. If you have kids (or yourself) that are readers, this is a pretty cool event right here in DFW. I should also add that the entire event is free. There is no charge for entrance, signing, etc.

Wristbands will be distributed for the signing lines of Tomi Adeyemi, Becky Albertalli, Tahereh Mafi, Raina Telgemeier and Angie Thomas at 8am for no charge. This is just to control the amount of time the have to spend signing books. There are also wristbands available for special publisher events(giveaways, free advanced copies, etc) and book speed dating. Book speed dating is where a volunteer/librarian will sit down with a teen and pitch them 3-5 different books in about 5 minutes. The teen will then be given a free copy of one of the books.

This is a really great event if anyone in your family reads Middle Grade or Young Adult books. I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all might have about the event.

When: Saturday March 23rd 8am-5:30pm
Where: Irving Convention Center
Cost: Free
Link to the authors that will be there
Program and schedule of events
Thomas Little
AG
That sounds really cool. Thanks for posting this.

How do they get the wristbands?
nai06
AG
Wristbands will be released at 8am. People usually line up early though. Only one wristband per person so you have to pick between one of the authors, book speed dating, or a special publisher event. Last year one of the publishers had a mini panel and every kid that attended walked away with 3 advanced reader copies of books that weren't published yet.

If you get a book speed dating for 10 am you can use it at 10 or any of the other sessions 11 and 12 (single use).

I will say this is a big event. It's one the biggest if not the biggest teen book festivals in the country. Based on last year I'm guessing between 10k-14k people. So just be prepared.
Thomas Little
AG
Ok, thanks for all the info! That's very helpful.
culdeus
AG
Wow had no idea this is so insane. Was planning on going. My kid is hyped.
culdeus
AG
I was really impressed with this event. Took some real effort to get that together and I'm grateful my girls had the chance to go. Please pass on my thanks nai
nai06
AG
I will. I'm actually on the board of the festival and it's always great to hear from people. We work year round to put it on and I'm glad to hear y'all had a good time.
Red Rover
AG
I wish I would have seen this earlier. My 8 year old has always been a big reader and has been obsessed with writing short stories and comic books the last ~12 months. He would have absolutely loved to hear jr high and high school authors talk about their process or what drives them.

How often does this event happen and are there other, smaller events in Irving or DFW for young authors
nai06
AG
It happens once a year and next year's festival is March 7th. The festival is the run primarily by a group led by a librarian at the south Irving library. That specific branch has tons of programming with authors throughout the year. In the Young Adult/Middle Grade world, the South Irving Library is the premier stop for authors when they come to the DFW area. They frequently do book launches, panels, and workshops at the library. So I would start there and I can post about upcoming events or releases around the area. I know they have two author visits in May and they usually do a big panel for their summer reading kickoff. My wife has a middle grade book that is coming out in October and she will do a book launch at the South Branch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.