Metroplex
Sponsored by

Plano/North Dallas water chlorine burn

1,293 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggielostinETX
Celee04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I forget about this every year but can tell within days of it starting because of the overwhelming smell of chlorine from water inside my home. My downstairs 1/2 bath literally smells like a 40 yr old YMCA indoor pool deck.

I've read the articles where the water authority says it's all safe and above board to drink/bathe in etc by state standards. These sources also say that the only reason for the strong taste/smell of chlorine is the lack of ammonia in the water, meaning that this highly odiferous amount of chlorine is actually always in the water... you just don't notice it because of the AMONIA that we also usually put in there.

Does anyone else find this concerning?

Also, the stated reason for doing this is to clean the system and basically eliminate "scum" from the water system pipes. Where exactly is this eliminated scum going. Is it through the taps?

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yes... it is a necessary process that is done with many water utilities.

https://www.ntmwd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/FINAL-NTMWD-Temporary-Disinfectant-Change-FAQs-Long-Form-2-4-19.pdf
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Quote:

Also, the stated reason for doing this is to clean the system and basically eliminate "scum" from the water system pipes. Where exactly is this eliminated scum going. Is it through the taps?
Yes. Similar to how you cook meat to a certain temperature to kill a bacteria. It's still in/on the meat, just harmless after it gets killed.
bco2003
AG
I've noticed the smell being much worse this year than previous years. Every time I flush the toilet it is crazy strong.

In Frisco.
culdeus
AG
It's super bad up here. Going to truck in water from store in gallons till this is over. Emptying out commode between uses and taking all leaks outside.

Honestly think it went up a step function overnight.
gomerschlep
AG

This is easily one of the best things I have ever purchased. It will change your freaking life. I bought one for work recently too.

They also make shower heads that will remove a lot of stuff.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Can't you just install an inline water filter?

Edit: to the post above
aggielostinETX
AG
Dallas has been bad too. I think they treat in the afternoon, so it sits in the pipes at night.
It's not any worse than pool water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.