Metroplex
Sponsored by

Need a Plumber - Sewage Line Repipe (Dallas - Richardson)

973 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by culdeus
TXAGFAN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short...I had a foundation repair done in preparation to sell home and I failed the sewage line test performed by the foundation company's plumber (reputable North Dallas plumber). Passing this test is a condition of sale and while I didn't agree tor repipe the house, I'd like to get this place sold.

Since then I've had two companies out who have done various things and can't get a good "seal" on the ball to even get an accurate test. They tried to do isolation and there's a lot of buildup in the pipes so they are having a hard time (~40 year old home). The first was pretty unprofessional and left without charging. The second one, who I thought really tried, thinks it's almost a certainty I need a repipe so I have them coming out to do an estimate tomorrow (he does the line isolation tests, a buddy is a plumber who was recommended to me by someone and he works with).

Feel a bit lost at this point since none of these guys inspire a ton of confidence with their lack of certainty. I can't shake the feeling I'm about to spend $15k to repipe when I don't even know the issue. Worse yet I'm doing all this work for the buyer and I don't feel like I agreed to come out of pocket $15k (I agreed to repair damage to plumbing from foundation repair, but no telling how long this was broken). Basically feels like if I replaced a car engine when all it needed was an oil change.

Any suggestions on course of action or plumbers in Dallas? Estimate on cost for a 1,800 square foot ranch with 2 bathrooms, laundry, and kitchen?
Copp
Cast iron often wont hold seal with a test ball due to build up. Would buyers be comfortable with a thorough camera inspection of the sewer line to isolate any potential problem spots? Full repipe with tunneling will be expensive
culdeus
AG
Has 40 year cast iron ever passed that test?

I would let them take it or leave it.
TXAGFAN
AG
culdeus said:

I guess that's the big question, is every house in my neighborhood leaking? I'm not the only one to have foundation repairs done and this seems to be a standard test.
K05
AG
Call American Leak Detection. They'll tell you straight if you need a repipe. Been in business for 30 yrs in DFW.
culdeus
AG
TXAGFAN said:

culdeus said:

I guess that's the big question, is every house in my neighborhood leaking? I'm not the only one to have foundation repairs done and this seems to be a standard test.
It's a standard test to get someone to drop 5 figures. I would want to see the camera indication that it's in the weeds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.