Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best BBQ Near 121/Tollway

3,031 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pepper Brooks
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to set a location for a lunch meeting next week and the guy is coming in from out of state. He has expressed a strong desire to try "Texas BBQ". Any recommendations that are within a 10 min drive from 121/Tollway?

I'm trying to find something a bit more "authentic" than Hard Eight.
tl1127
AG
I would go with Hutchins in Frisco. It's at Preston/Main.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Not much in that area.

You mentioned the Hard Eight and ^mentioned Hutchins.

There is a Rudy's up the tollway and a Dickey's too...and a Spring Creek over near Stonebriar.

that's about it.

Of those Hutchins is your best bet.
TexasAggies06
AG
Hutchins
jeffdjohnson
None of the elite BBQ places are in that area. Kenny's Smokehouse is right at that intersection. Decent food, a sit down restaurant with a nicer ambiance. Not sure if that is the vibe you are looking for. A little outside the box is Carlton Provisions at the Legacy Hall across the highway. Legacy Hall is an interesting place and there is a nice beer garden to sit in if the weather is cooperating.
tl1127
AG
I tried Carlton Provisions recently and it was inedible.
gigemags87
AG
In order
1. Hutchins
2. Hard Eight
3. Rudy's

With a little more of a drive there is Lockhart in downtown Plano which is probably of the Hard Eight caliber.
foulbeast
AG
gigemags87 said:

In order
1. Hutchins
2. Hard Eight
3. Rudy's

With a little more of a drive there is Lockhart in downtown Plano which is probably of the Hard Eight caliber.
If you'd be willing to go far enough to go to Lockhart's, then I'd suggest 10-50 in Richardson instead.

Hutchins is good. I am not impressed with Hard Eight in the Colony honestly. The tollroad location of Rudy's is decent.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Impressed with Rudy's but not hard eight? Holy **** hard eight blows the doors off of Rudy's. What do you order?
DallasAggie0
Dickeys for sure
aggolfer
AG
foulbeast said:

gigemags87 said:

In order
1. Hutchins
2. Hard Eight
3. Rudy's

If you'd be willing to go far enough to go to Lockhart's, then I'd suggest 10-50 in Richardson instead.

Hutchins is good. I am not impressed with Hard Eight in the Colony honestly. The tollroad location of Rudy's is decent.
This. But the Hard Eight in the Colony is better than Roanoke. 10-50 is good for lunch but dinner and weekends aren't the same for some reason.
Post removed:
by user
foulbeast
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Impressed with Rudy's but not hard eight? Holy **** hard eight blows the doors off of Rudy's. What do you order?
Didn't mean to imply that I am "impressed" with Rudy's. Rudy's is, well, Rudy's. Best of the "fast food" BBQ joints in my opinion but not on the level of Hutchins, 10-50, etc.

Hard Eight in the Colony isn't worth the $$ or the time in line IMHO.
mAgnoliAg
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Rudy's is much better than Hard 8. Hard 8 brisket is consistently dry.

Uh complete opposite.
Van Buren Boy
AG
ten50 is terrible. I wish it wasn't since I live about 5 minutes from it and I love BBQ. I've given it 5 visits and they've all been either mediocre or terrible.

Go to Hutchins in Frisco.
Post removed:
by user
Bodie Broadus
Hutchins is great.
FightinTAC08
AG
Agreed with all on this board.

Hutchins Frisco. We go pretty much every week. Seems more consistent and better than the original location in McKinney.

Ten50 sucks.

Hard 8 is generally pretty good but not consistent enough.
cadetjay02
AG
I went to Tender Smokehouse in Celina a couple weeks ago. Not quite Hutchins on my lone visit, but still pretty solid. They put quite a bit of money into it and I'll be going back spring break.
Texker
AG
Haven't been to the Frisco location but Hutchins McKinney is damn good top to bottom. Tried H8 once and not impressed. The brisket was more like roast, very little smoke. Rudy's is a good when in a hurry. If we want to graze and not spend a bunch of money we go to Spring Creek. We love their fresh, hot rolls and their black pepper sausage is awesome. The unlimited refills on sides make it a great value.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Check what day you're going to Hutchins in Frisco. They've expanded hours somewhat, but I think they're closed on Monday/Tuesday.

Hard 8 is decent BBQ. however, I'll put their steak up against any fancy steakhouse in the area. It's damn perfect, every time.
Phat32
AG
Hutchins EOT
PlanoAg98
AG
Does Hutchins Frisco have an all you can eat like McKinney? For $25, that's a great BBQ experience. You'll get to try all the different BBQ meats.
Bodie Broadus
Indeed, they do!
ravingfans
AG
Didn't know about the all-you-can-eat $25 special at Hutchin's and I live less than a mile away! They have ultra-weird hours. I liked it WAY better when it was Randy Whites--especially before it burned down across the street. He was there half the time I went and would always have some funny smart alek thing to say. He was always friendly to the Rib.

I like Hutchin's food the best, but it is overpriced in general. If I'm meeting people for business, I'll normally pick Hutchin's because it is so close.

Spring Creek (I'm ducking now!) is still consistently good and I go there weekly with the Rib. I'm not eating rolls any more since going on the Whole 30 thing with the Rib, but before that--Spring Creek accounted for a solid 20 lbs of my belly roll.

Rudy's is a cool place, but to me feels too ATX'ey. --If that is your thing, then cool for you.

Hard 8 is nice to walk through the pits and get that smokey smell countenance that will last the rest of the day. Why didn't they at least build out a few normal booths instead of those uncomfortable raised seats? That's what kills it for me.
aggolfer
AG
There are similar articles/stories but Randy White's was always "Hutchins"

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2014/05/hutchins-bbq-opens-second-location-in-frisco/
Pepper Brooks
AG
Thanks for the recs. Meeting got pushed to early April. I think we're going to try Hutchins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.