Metroplex
Sponsored by

TSA Pre Gates at DFW

3,012 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't fly a lot, so I'm trying to recall about the TSA Pre Gates at DFW. I typically fly out of terminal A, and the TSA website only shows gate A21 as the TSA Pre gate. However, that one is often backed up, and last time I flew, I recall TSA folks stating at least one, if not all of the adjacent A gates were also TSA Pre.

Can someone confirm?
DallasAggie0
They all allow pre check perks but only the middle one has exclusive precheck. I fly all times of day and is never more than a 20 minute wait.
Matsui
AG
Agreed same.
akaggie05
AG
Can someone who tries going through one of the non-exclusive pre-check lanes report back on what happens? My experience has been that "pre-check perks" means shoes and jacket can stay on, but electronics and liquids still have to come out. I sometimes travel with large amounts of electronic equipment for work, which makes pulling everything out a nightmare (yeah, I'm that guy with 8 bins lined up). For this reason, I'm typically willing to wait a few more minutes in line if it doesn't mean having to pull everything out.
InternetFan02
AG
Yes it's my experience that pre-check perks always allows to leave on jacket/belt/shoes but you often have to pull out large electronics and sometimes 3-1-1 liquids. Seems like it's different at each entrance but I can't recall. I have boarded >10 flights this year and always end up at the non-TSA entrance. If you are concerned then definitely find a TSA entrance.
Duncan Idaho
That has been my experience. Shoes and my coat are the least of my reasons for being precheck.

It is the multiple laptops, tablet and phones that all need to pulled out and stuck in different bins that makes me go through security at the international terminal if I am leaving when the dedicated precheck lines are closed.
investorAg83
AG
I do TSA pre every time I fly and I just empty my pockets in a bowl, put my laptop case on the conveyor as is and tilt my hat as I walk through the detector. Laptop, iPad, everything stays in the briefcase. Easy in and out.

In fact I get yelled at by security if I start to take my laptop out.
akaggie05
AG
Yes, this is true for everyone, when you use the actual pre-check lanes. The question being raised is what happens if you have pre-check, but choose to use a non pre-check lane (or are forced to if pre-check is closed). Many people like to say "you still get pre-check perks," but it's murky as to what that really means, and if it's of any real benefit.

For example, I had a flight out of terminal B a few weeks ago, parked at the terminal, and headed through security with a carry-on full of electronic modules that I had to pull out and put in a train of bins (because there are no dedicated pre-check lanes at terminal B). I was told "you have pre-check, so leave your jacket and shoes on, but liquids and electronics have to come out." My experience is that "pre-check lite" is of little benefit, and going forward, I will likely go out of my way to use the real pre-check entries, even if it means a slightly longer trip (or a terminal change) once inside security.
investorAg83
AG
akaggie05 said:

Yes, this is true for everyone, when you use the actual pre-check lanes. The question being raised is what happens if you have pre-check, but choose to use a non pre-check lane (or are forced to if pre-check is closed). Many people like to say "you still get pre-check perks," but it's murky as to what that really means, and if it's of any real benefit.

For example, I had a flight out of terminal B a few weeks ago, parked at the terminal, and headed through security with a carry-on full of electronic modules that I had to pull out and put in a train of bins (because there are no dedicated pre-check lanes at terminal B). I was told "you have pre-check, so leave your jacket and shoes on, but liquids and electronics have to come out." My experience is that "pre-check lite" is of little benefit, and going forward, I will likely go out of my way to use the real pre-check entries, even if it means a slightly longer trip (or a terminal change) once inside security.

Ah gotcha...I've never used a non pre check lane. It always moves rather quickly.
double aught
AG
akaggie05 said:

Can someone who tries going through one of the non-exclusive pre-check lanes report back on what happens? My experience has been that "pre-check perks" means shoes and jacket can stay on, but electronics and liquids still have to come out. I sometimes travel with large amounts of electronic equipment for work, which makes pulling everything out a nightmare (yeah, I'm that guy with 8 bins lined up). For this reason, I'm typically willing to wait a few more minutes in line if it doesn't mean having to pull everything out.
Checking a bag wouldn't be preferable?
powerbelly
AG
double aught said:

akaggie05 said:

Checking a bag wouldn't be preferable?
Not checking a bag saves time on the back-end and also prevents the airline from losing your bags.
Duncan Idaho
I typically do check a bag, but no way am I putting any electronics in a checked bag.
akaggie05
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I typically do check a bag, but no way am I putting any electronics in a checked bag.

This. No way I'm checking a bag that has $100k+ worth of gear in it.
benMath08
AG
I always use the dedicated pre-check security checkpoints, every terminal has at least one. The time and headache you save are more than worth the extra walk to your gate (if any).
akaggie05
AG
benMath08 said:

every terminal has at least one

Please tell us where the precheck lane is in terminal B.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I go through security almost every week and usually skip pre check in favor of the regular priority line because it ends up being faster
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.