Metroplex
Sponsored by

Anyone had to renew their drivers license in person recently?

2,818 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hph6203
BIMS O1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have tried to reserve a time online several times and keep getting told there are no spots available. Today I went to a dmv by my house and was told to go to the DPS in Carrollton off of 121. I dutifully drove out there only to find it was so packed I couldn't get in the parking lot.

Anyone had any recent success?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Last time I did it there was a way to hop in line on-line and then it would text you an ETA every 15 minutes or so.
Bones08
AG
Hello,

I did back in December. I went to the Garland one. The first time I went I stood in the line to get my forms verified (not required, but I wanted to be sure I had everything before waiting hours and getting denied). The wait that day to get an actual drivers license was super long and when I was there I learned about the online get-in-line service so I decided to try again another day.

The next time I went I woke up 15 minutes after the online get-in-line service opened for that day (I think it opened at either 6:30am or 7:00a). Signing in to the online service gave me a 1:45pm time slot. So I think those times fill up really fast. Got to the DMV around 1:20p (just to be safe). Probably got served around 2:00pm and left with a mission accomplished.

Not an awful experience. Your milage may vary of course.

Van Buren Boy
AG
I went to the one in plano and got in line around 5:45am and was like 10th in line. I was in and out in about 20 minutes once the doors opened.
Matsui
AG
Yes. Plano. Waited 4 hours.

There are a few in Dallas County that do "call ahead seating" basically. Carrolton is one of them. Check out the website.
Matsui
AG
I got there at 9 AM and was out around 1 PM. I'd advise to go NOT on a M or F and if you do go early, like 6 AM early.
Texas Ag Mom
I signed up online for the one in Lewisville* Was there about an hour* Also I kept checking online & appointment times kept changing so I was able to get an earlier time just by monitoring* Sorry for the weird typing* My ipad has suddenly decided that I don't need to use periods* Grrrrrrr
Absolute
AG
Last time mine said I had to go in person. After a couple of aborted attempts due to lines, I tried online for the heck of it and it worked. Good for another 6 years.
Gigem_94
AG
I did in October at one In little elm on 121. Nightmare. They weren't taking online reservations. Got there about 10:30. Once I realized the pace of numbers they were calling compared to my number, I left and came back about 3 and had to wait another 45 min.
BosAG06
AG
In the past I just drive to Decatur and it's usually never longer than a 30min wait but it's getting more popular. Long drive but you still save time and can actually get it done. I did hear they just opened one in argyle off 377 and it's the best kept secret right now...
ntxaggie
I have had the best luck the past few years going to a 'mega center', having gotten in line through the online system.

I live in Argyle, and have heard that arriving when they open is the best bet. Last Wednesday, a co-worker went at lunch time and waited 3 hours to renew, so apparently the secret is out.
farmer95
AG
Just did this yesterday in Denton. Got in line at 7:20, out by 8:30. They only do renewals if you are there and in line before 8. I was never able to get a time in Carrollton either. I tried many times over several days.
bco2003
AG
Bones08 said:

The next time I went I woke up 15 minutes after the online get-in-line service opened for that day (I think it opened at either 6:30am or 7:00a). Signing in to the online service gave me a 1:45pm time slot. So I think those times fill up really fast. Got to the DMV around 1:20p (just to be safe). Probably got served around 2:00pm and left with a mission accomplished.

Not an awful experience. Your milage may vary of course.

I did this at the Lewisville Super Center. Was given a 2:45 timeslot online. Got there at 2:30, had my updated license and was out the door by 3:15. Worked great.
AW 1880
AG
Signed up online at Garland supercenter. Showed up 15 minutes prior to appointment and was out of there in 45 minutes.
culdeus
AG
Garland super center ftw
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Had a pretty good experience at the Garland center as well.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Rockwall County
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
dcbowers
AG
The Garland Super Center is the way to go.

My daughter was applying for her driver's license. She logged in at 7:00 AM sharp and got an 8:15 reservation. We arrived at 8:00 AM and were out of there by 8:45 AM.

Very easy and efficient to get an online reservation. The line for people without a reservation was 50 yards out the door.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SbisaVictim95
AG
I got a note just after New Years reminding me that mine will expire soon and that I will have to renew in person this time... having just passed a birthday I thought I must have somehow missed it and needed to go get that taken care of. So I pulled out my license to see that it expires on 12/29/2020. Glad TxDot is on top of it, but i'll probably need another reminder in the next 20 months or so.
DadAG10
If you checkin online, do it at 7AM.

I went in at 11AM, grabbed a number in line, they said come back 2-2:30 which I did, got out around 4:15.

Parking is a terrible mess. (Carrollton)

Thankful I don't have to do again for 12 years!
Seven Costanza
AG
How much more would you be willing to pay to have your license renewed if a quick, convenient, for-profit alternative DMV existed?
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Rockwall County

That's where I went last time (two years ago). In and out in a little less than 15 minutes.
hph6203
AG
Did it at the Garland Mega Center. Drove over near my estimated time, was actually running late so I bumped it 15 minutes. Sat down, waited 10 minutes, out the door 15 minutes after I was called.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.