Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas county property taxes

1,850 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Phat32
SoTheySay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Any tips?

This property is listed as "excellent" desirability while no others on the street are. It's also assessed over $200k when the next highest is $175k. Does the improvement price per sq ft matter at all? I'm at $140/ft and others listed as "very good" (a step lower than excellent) are $93-107/ft.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
752bro4
AG
Tips:
Fight fight fight, encourage your neighbors to do the same
Make sure you've got a homestead exemption or other eligible exemptions (65+)
2019 values will come out in early April, start preparing your protest now

Follow this how-to on your protest. Jon Alschuler is a big time commercial real estate guy who wrote this.
Yesterday
AG
Take pictures of the dated or broken items in your house. Post those and the other house values to their online protest form and see what they offer.

They dropped my value 12% when I did this. They told me to accept that or to protest in person. I took it.
Phat32
AG
Same strategy.
hph6203
AG
These assessments are getting insane. I can't protest mine because it's always land value increases.
Brad_97
AG
Protest online. If you don't get a settlement you like then go see someone in the appraisers office in person prior to your official hearing. Have had good luck talking informally in this way. They are much more rigid in my experience in the hearing.
FiTxAg04
AG
I successfully protested my value last year on the basis of higher assessed value per sq ft than other houses in my neighborhood. Every year I just use the CAD property search to try and identify something in the numbers that show me higher than my neighbors in assessed value. I always get an offer, usually to stay the same value as the prior year.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
The fact that homeowners have to pay increased taxes over the perceived "VALUE" and not the SALE of the home is absolute highway robbery. It blows my mind.
Phat32
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

The fact that homeowners have to pay increased taxes over the perceived "VALUE" and not the SALE of the home is absolute highway robbery. It blows my mind.

Why do you think people avoid permitting for minor home renovations?

It is insane to me that you make an improvement to your home, and the gov't immediately is able to capture additional tax based on unrealized value.

It'd be like if I bought Apple stock in 1997, and they'd been taxing me all the way up.

They should be able to reassess when the house is sold, but otherwise buzz off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.