Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Mayor Election

39,573 Views | 427 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FincAg
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mayor election is coming up in May. With Rawlings term-limited out, it is sure to be a feisty affair. Currently have 7 candidates, with a couple more, including former Rep Jason Villalba, likely to declare.

Anyone of any thoughts on the crop running?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2019/01/09/candidates-running-dallas-mayor
752bro4
AG
Quote:

Griggs comes to the race with a team of council allies -- Philip Kingston, Adam Medrano and Omar Narvaez
So..... Scott Griggs

I don't know Mike Ablon personally, but have had dealings with people in his firm (PegasusAblon). They all speak highly of him in a business and personal way. Right now he's probably leading the pack for me based upon my name recognition industry-wise. Not sure if he's (R), (D), or (I), but he wants to reform City Hall, and if that gets blowhard Kingston ruffled, then I am for it.

His bio from their website:
Quote:

Mike Ablon received his Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Architecture degrees from the University of Texas at Austin, and earned his Master's degree from Harvard University. Early in his career, Mike Ablon worked as an apprentice under the world-renowned theorist and architect Robert Venturi in Philadelphia and has been a visiting lecturer at multiple universities including Harvard and Yale. Prior to founding PegasusAblon, Mike Ablon held senior positions at The Perot Group, CarrAmerica, Cousins Properties, and The Retail Connection.
Among other awards and recognitions, he is a recipient of the Lloyd Warren Travelling Fellowship in Europe for the Paris Prize Competition, a two-time finalist for the Fulbright United States Scholar Fellowship, named one of the 500 Most Powerful Business Leaders in Dallas/Fort Worth, and the first recipient of the Pioneer Award in Dallas.
Mike Ablon has consistently been heavily involved in the community, placing his time and focus in both public community and non-profit programs. Mike Ablon's non-profit volunteer work includes acting as the Vice-Chairman of a 501c3 Seniors Facility Development as well as 20 years of Board & Executive Committee positions at the Real Estate Council & its Foundation. Mike Ablon has also been involved in the State Fair of Texas poultry exhibition, carrying on a 100-year family tradition of raising money and assisting with the exhibits. Mike Ablon additionally has served as a founding member and Chair of the Trinity River Corridor Local government Corporation. The Trinity River LGC is the 501c3 formed on behalf of the Dallas City Council to lead the long-awaited and discussed development of the new Trinity River Harold Simmons Park for the citizens of Dallas.
Quinn
AG
Watchlisted
walton91
Quote:

Not sure if he's (R), (D), or (I), but he wants to reform City Hall, and if that gets blowhard Kingston ruffled, then I am for it.
Are you saying a candidate who wants to reform City Hall would upset Kingston? I completely understand why people can't stand the Kingston, but If you think that would ruffle his feathers then you don't know very much about him.

I think this is an interesting field. I'm interested in: Larry Casto, the former city attorney should have insight and some new ideas having watched how Dallas (internally) has operated for years. Miguel Solis, DISD trustee, should have insights into the needs of poorer communities, housing, homelessness, and transit. Griggs, similar to Casto, has watched how Rawlings and the Citizens Council have operated in the past, so I'd expect him to be able to lay out a new vision, but we shall see. The only one I would completely rule out is Lynn McBee. She's done some great philanthropy but taking an apartment in Dallas from Highland Park months before the election just for the purpose of running for mayor rubs me the wrong way.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Villalba is set to announce from his mom's little house in West Dallas next week.

Crowded field. And lots of money. Adam McGough, who was rumored to be in, is likely out (but anything can change).
YouBet
AG
I'm surprised Kingston isn't running considering his massive ego. Fully expected him to be in this race. However, getting Griggs in there is basically electing Kingston, in effect.
80sGeorge
AG
Used to live across the alley from Villalbas parents in NW Dallas. Super folks.
YouBet
AG
So, my wife apparently knows Lynn McBee and really likes her. I guess I'll be looking into her a bit more since it sounds like she will be getting at least one vote in my house.
double aught
AG
One thing I know is that I won't miss Rawlings.
hatchback
AG
I'm sure she's a nice person who has done good things as a philanthropist. But having a "Parkie" as the mayor of Dallas won't sit well with a lot of people and she won't get my vote.
aggielostinETX
AG
YouBet said:

I'm surprised Kingston isn't running considering his massive ego. Fully expected him to be in this race. However, getting Griggs in there is basically electing Kingston, in effect.

Griggs isn't a massive *****.
YouBet
AG
hatchback said:

I'm sure she's a nice person who has done good things as a philanthropist. But having a "Parkie" as the mayor of Dallas won't sit well with a lot of people and she won't get my vote.
Yes, which is why I will be researching her. Not sure my wife knows her stances other than she's been a great philanthropist.
aggielostinETX
AG
Villalba anoucing live now.
powerbelly
AG
Deats said:

Villalba anoucing live now.
If you lose a primary to Lisa Luby Ryan it should be a sign that your political career is over.
Quinn
AG
Here's an early look at who has the most money in Dallas' mayoral race

Quote:

2019 semi-annual campaign finance report
Six candidates in the Dallas mayoral race filed required semi-annual campaign finance reports earlier this week.

Candidate
Contributions
Loans

Albert Black

Lynn McBee

Mike Ablon

Regina Montoya

Larry Casto

Scott Griggs
walton91
Larry Casto is out, now supporting Ablon
Phat32
AG
Whoever agrees that spending $500K-$1MM removing the previously unknown REL statue was idiocracy gets my vote.
BoomGoesThe
walton91 said:

The only one I would completely rule out is Lynn McBee. She's done some great philanthropy but taking an apartment in Dallas from Highland Park months before the election just for the purpose of running for mayor rubs me the wrong way.

I take it you weren't a fan of Hillary Clinton for similar reasons?

walton91
BoomGoesThe said:

I take it you weren't a fan of Hillary Clinton for similar reasons?

Very pertinent to the Dallas mayoral race. You know, not every conversation has to involve Trump, Hillary, or Obama.
BoomGoesThe
I have never mentioned Obama, Trump, or Hillary (until this post) on this or any website before. I was just wondering if you were consistently "rubbed wrong" by people moving for political purposes or if it was just this case. This appears to have struck a nerve with you for some reason.
Kellso
BoomGoesThe said:

I have never mentioned Obama, Trump, or Hillary (until this post) on this or any website before. I was just wondering if you were consistently "rubbed wrong" by people moving for political purposes or if it was just this case. This appears to have struck a nerve with you for some reason.
Mayor races are a different breed from state wide and national elections.

Its more local. Party affiliation does not matter as much.

And FTR....when a politician moves into an area at the last minute its a red flag to me also.

Do I trust the newcomer to the district or the person that has represented a certain part of town for years?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Maybe I'm not entrenched in Dallas enough yet (lived in the city 2.5 years, burbs 7 years before that), but HP to Dallas doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Unlike what we have in D10 where a recent transplant from Jersey is running for council.
hatchback
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Maybe I'm not entrenched in Dallas enough yet (lived in the city 2.5 years, burbs 7 years before that), but HP to Dallas doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Unlike what we have in D10 where a recent translate from Jersey is running for council.

It's a huge red flag.
powerbelly
AG
It's not. Most recent Dallas mayors live in equally well off areas of Dallas.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Scott Griggs' operations manager is TC Fleming. Soooo....
powerbelly
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Interesting choice
Ol Jock 99
AG
No way!
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Interesting choice

I am not sure that's the best choice.
752bro4
AG
Clearly pandering to the middle-aged lesbian block.
YouBet
AG
Actually, that's a smart choice. He will now have the most listened to radio station in Dallas as his personal mouthpiece.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
YouBet said:

Actually, that's a smart choice. He will now have the most listened to radio station in Dallas as his personal mouthpiece.

He's not on The Ticket anymore.
Old Tom Morris
But you might be able to get him to personally deliver a Scott Griggs yard sign.

752bro4
AG
I will probably go ahead and drop it off myself as well as offer you a ride to the airport, a bar, or restaurant of your choosing. Use Coupon Code RAGONK in your Lyft app.
culdeus
AG
Did they get anywhere with ranked choice for the election? The top two are gonna end up with like 12% of the vote at this rate.
hatchback
AG
There will most likely be a runoff election in June.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.