Metroplex
Sponsored by

Moving to Fort Worth (South Edition)

2,781 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by megaggie16
AMF 2 AMC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be relocating to Fort Worth in January. Work is near I-20 and I-35W.

I would appreciate information and advice on communities, neigborhoods, commuting, realtors, etc.

I've been looking on zillow but haven't narrowed things down much since I don't know the area very well.

I'm single, looking for a house around 2000 sq ft, would like to stay under $300K. I'd prefer gas heat, water heater and stove/oven. I do need a 2 car garage and a yard for a dog. A small shop would be nice.

So far, I've been focusing on Benbrook, but Crowley and Burleson seem like decent choices too. Aledo may be too far, but I'm open to suggestions at this point.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
My opinion. Burleson and Crowley are both decent choices. Just keep in mind that 20/35 gets pretty bad with traffic in any direction right there during rush hour. Aledo not much further than Burleson and wouldn't be enough difference in distance to matter to me. Benbrook is starting to build up a little and getting the "new" feel to it.
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
wbt5845
AG
Mansfield and Arlington would both be good choices as well. Be aware they're getting ready to rebuild the US 287 / I-20 / I-820 interchange, so commuting through that area is going to be messy for a few years.

Do you care about schools? Mansfield ISD would be your best bet in that area if you do. If you live in the western part of the Mansfield ISD (between Mansfield and Burleson), you can drive over to I-35W and go north for your morning commute. You'll be at the I-35W / I-20 interchange in 15-20 minutes.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Thanks to both for your replies.

I will look at Mansfield too.
ftworthag02
AG
I highly recommend south hills, wedgewood, and westcliff. A little further west is ridglea country club estates, and ridglea hills

Realtor: Craig Rember, Briggs Freeman, https://www.briggsfreeman.com/agent/craig-rember
sburg2007
Moved to Burleson in August and have really enjoyed it. Definitely get more bang for your buck. Look at school districts when choosing as well. Paid less than 300 for a 2300 sq ft house that is four years old. I work at TCU and 35/20 generally are fine, but Crowley road is a nice alternative when there is traffic.
wcb
AG
Been in Burleson 17 years. Nice quiet town. Most folks would also consider Joshua (over Crowley). But Burleson's gonna give you pretty much direct access to 35, not to mention bang for your buck on housing.

When we moved a few years ago we used Lori Fowler with Charitable Realty. I would highly recommend her.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Thanks all! Keep 'em coming.

Burleson is taking an early lead, mostly because of "quiet" and "bang for the buck". It's good to know there are other ways in; I was leary of just having one way in down I-35.

I'll also look at the neighborhoods fortworthag02 named. Some of them seem familiar.

Also making a realtor list.

aglaohfour
AG
ftworthag02 said:

I highly recommend south hills, wedgewood, and westcliff. A little further west is ridglea country club estates, and ridglea hills.

This list is spot on. We have loved living in South Hills and are in the process of buying in Westcliff. You really can't go wrong with any of these neighborhoods, unless public schools are a priority, in which case I would focus on Westcliff and the Ridglea neighborhoods. The commute from SH/Westcliff/Wedgwood would be a dream, honestly.
mAgnoliAg
AG
We have a completely renovated/rebuilt 2300 sq ft house with large new separate carport on 1.6 acres in Kennedale for sale
mAgnoliAg
AG
Otherwise, Benbrook would be my choice.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

ftworthag02 said:

I highly recommend south hills, wedgewood, and westcliff. A little further west is ridglea country club estates, and ridglea hills.

This list is spot on. We have loved living in South Hills and are in the process of buying in Westcliff. You really can't go wrong with any of these neighborhoods, unless public schools are a priority, in which case I would focus on Westcliff and the Ridglea neighborhoods. The commute from SH/Westcliff/Wedgwood would be a dream, honestly.

Agree with the above (live in Ridglea North), used to party on Wedgwood and south hills in high school
AMF 2 AMC
AG
mAgnoliaAg,

I'm holding out for an enclosed garage, but thank you.

There are some great places inside the loop, and I also saw places I like around Joshua.

LSB_2002
AG
Moved out of Wedgewood/Candleridge about 6 years ago because the schools suck! If public education is a factor, look elsewhere! Absolutely loved our house and it was a great quiet neighborhood.
wbt5845
AG
I didn't mention SW Fort Worth as he said he wanted to stay under $300k. Seems like decent houses start at $500k around there anymore.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
As I look around online, I see what you're saying.

There are houses under $300K all around, but it seems like the better choices in that range are further out.

Schools aren't an issue for me anymore than an indicator of a decent neighborhood. Mostly I'm looking for quiet decent neighborhood.

Many of the older houses inside the loop have converted garages and added pools to increase value. Oddly enough, it seems like the newer houses tend to fit the bill better.

Looking at realtor.com I was surprised to see that crime rates seem higher around Ridglea Hills. Is that a fair representation?
AgFB
AG
We've lived in Mansfield, Fort Worth and Burleson. Love Burleson - if you're single, you'll probably just want to drive to Fort Worth and it's not a bad drive.

Mistletoe Hill area would be good and easy access to 35.

I know a good Aggie mortgage guy that was born and raised in Burleson if you need more info. PM me.
@rufftamu
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Thanks again all! Your info is really helpful.

I like Benbrook and just east of it, but Burleson sounds good too.

Anybody have recommendations for storing household goods for a few months u til I can close on a place?
megaggie16
I just bought a house a year ago and was looking in the same areas. Fort worth, benbrook, burleson. I am VERY glad I bought in fort worth (South Hills) instead of Burleson. I go to West 7th all the time and it is only 10 minutes- a very cheap uber ride.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.