Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter 2018 Storm Thread

8,498 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Phat32
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yall ready for the mess on Monday? They appear to be hyping the sleet / snow but we all know the likelihood is closer to 5% for anyone South or East of the airport. Not sure about you Denton. I'm thankful for the Veterans who served and also for the day off tomorrow so I don't have to put up with crazies on the road.

Have fun tomorrow folks!
lawless89
I've got a 7am flight out of DFW to Charlotte. I have a feeling I'm going to get delayed and not looking forward to that one bit.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I bought a house this summer that is pier and beam. I've never lived in one before. The master bathroom is an addition and the master sink any toilet are on an exterior wall with their plumbing running in the crawlspace. Do I need to do anything special to avoid frozen pipes? I would think since its only getting into the upper 20s I'll be OK but I'd like to be prepared if we have a really deep freeze this winter.
riverrataggie
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

I bought a house this summer that is pier and beam. I've never lived in one before. The master bathroom is an addition and the master sink any toilet are on an exterior wall with their plumbing running in the crawlspace. Do I need to do anything special to avoid frozen pipes? I would think since its only getting into the upper 20s I'll be OK but I'd like to be prepared if we have a really deep freeze this winter.

I'm on pier and beam and never wrapped faucets under the house
FincAg
AG
Set your thermostat to a comfortable temperature and open the cabinet doors to expose pipes to warm air. But for a night or two at freezing you should be OK. The wind constantly hitting g your north side is something to think about if those walls with pipe are there. We have a 60+ old house and when it was down below freezing for several days we just opened the cabinets, wrap outside faucets, cover with buckets, and did just fine. If you have pipe in the attic you might put some foam on it if handy.
culdeus
AG
For pier/beam really need something that stares down the teens to worry too much.
gomerschlep
AG
Just cold and windy as hell in FTW tonight. No precip so far
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Run a heater in the bathroom, blank up the crawl space vents, and let a faucet drip

Im in an 80 year old house and that stuff freezes up at 32 on the dot if I dont prep
The Pilot
AG
Chance for winter weather Thursday and Friday but temps aren't supposed to go below 38 in Dallas.
The Collective
AG
Ervin Burrell
AG
Am I missing something? Every forecast, from my iPhone to every DFW news outlet to places like Wunderground, doesn't have temps in Dallas dipping below 37 or 38.
Enviroag02
AG
looking forward to being in Henrietta tomorrow for work..
PatAg
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Am I missing something? Every forecast, from my iPhone to every DFW news outlet to places like Wunderground, doesn't have temps in Dallas dipping below 37 or 38.
Just means we dont have to worry about icy roads, but it could still snow a lot
Carlo4
AG
Signs at 75/635 and 75/PGBT warning of sand truck crews getting ready to operate.

The Collective
AG
Don't fret, guys. This is the storm that does nothing. The next one is the one that will suck, and there will be almost no chance of its occurence.
JR Ewingford
It wont snow. too warm, but its going to be damn windy.
The Collective
AG
I'm working west of Weatherford at our plant facility this week, so I'm holding out hope for at least some flurries.
ftworthag02
AG
https://www.facebook.com/wfaa.steve.mccauley/posts/2250155505006383
helgs
AG
EwingBarnes said:

I'm not saying you're wrong in that it won't snow, but the ground temperature doesn't necessarily mean it won't snow. That affects accumulation, but not snow in and of itself. When you have super-cold air in the atmosphere, it's possible you can have above-freezing temps on the ground and have snowfall. Now, it needs to be relatively close to freezing to do this (e.g., it won't happen in the summer), but it can be above freezing and snow can fall.

It is unlikely, but certainly possible.
The Pilot
AG
Does anyone know what Steve does now? I really liked him on WFAA, but seems like now he either teaches or maybe does consulting?
FincAg
AG
BE PREPARED!

ORDER YOUR PIZZAS AND ORDER YOUR CHINESE FOOD AND FIVE CASES OF POP BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE A TERRIBLE SNOWSTORM TO HIT ....[weezy gasp for air] DALLAS AND FORT WORTH TEXAS!

The Pilot
AG
After his last interview with BAD I'm really surprised his bit doesn't say:
Quote:

ORDER YOUR PIZZA HUT PIZZAS AND ORDER YOUR PANDA EXPRESS CHINESE FOOD AND FIVE CASES OF COCA COLA BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE A TERRIBLE SNOWSTORM TO HIT ....[weezy gasp for air] DALLAS AND FORT WORTH TEXAS!....message brought to you by Tim Hortons.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Pilot said:

Does anyone know what Steve does now? I really liked him on WFAA, but seems like now he either teaches or maybe does consulting?
Last I checked, he was a prof at SMU. Pretty sure that is still the case.
ftworthag02
AG
Yes he teaches at smu. I know he also taught geology at el centro
JR Ewingford
helgs said:

EwingBarnes said:

I'm not saying you're wrong in that it won't snow, but the ground temperature doesn't necessarily mean it won't snow. That affects accumulation, but not snow in and of itself. When you have super-cold air in the atmosphere, it's possible you can have above-freezing temps on the ground and have snowfall. Now, it needs to be relatively close to freezing to do this (e.g., it won't happen in the summer), but it can be above freezing and snow can fall.

It is unlikely, but certainly possible.

Im not wrong. Still be some rain and wind gust but this was a very overhyped system. And BTW I was a meterology major at A&M.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Christ, this one may take the cake in the "overblown DFW winter storm" category, and that's saying a lot. Didn't even dip into the 30's throughout most of the metroplex.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Christ, this one may take the cake in the "overblown DFW winter storm" category, and that's saying a lot. Didn't even dip into the 30's throughout most of the metroplex.

But the wind! It made it feel like it was 35 degrees!
Phat32
AG
Snow and massive road closures or GTFO
752bro4
AG
752bro4
AG
Not wintery mix, but hell of a storm blowing through right now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Another blow to the Cotton Bowl...game there today got canceled due to lighting.
hatchback
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Another blow to the Cotton Bowl...game there today got canceled due to lighting.

That's the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl at the Cotton Bowl, thankyouverymuch.

And, no, the controversial $300,000 incentive package from the City of Dallas will not be returned to the city because the game was cancelled.
Ol Jock 99
AG
3 7/8" in the rain gauge (Lake Highlands).
752bro4
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

3 7/8" in the rain gauge (Lake Highlands).
Weird place to put it, but whatever.
Ol Jock 99
AG
As if I wouldn't round to 4".

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.