Metroplex
Sponsored by

Uverse down hard in Richardson

1,628 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hijakeroo123
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PSA.

Now everyone don't panic at once.
Phat32
AG
Preston Hollow out too. Spectrum is fine. Apparently issue with a fire.
Bones08
AG
Yup.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/att/2018/10/15/att-working-internet-outages-dallas-area

I'm about an hour from resorting to cannibalism.
FTAco07
AG
I'm currently embracing the outage by traveling back to 1975 and listening to old Willie and Waylon albums on a record player I pulled out of the closet. There are worse ways to spend an evening.
Absolute
AG
Anyone seen an eta for return of services?
91AggieLawyer
AG
It is out in North Richland Hills and Roanoke as well, according to friends.
FTAco07
AG
The only thing I've heard is it could be a 24-48 hour problem, but AT&T apparently doesn't feel the need to respond with anything beyond "as soon as possible".

I don't understand how there could be a single point of failure that would impact this many people. That just doesn't fly in today's world.
Absolute
AG
FTAco07 said:

The only thing I've heard is it could be a 24-48 hour problem, but AT&T apparently doesn't feel the need to respond with anything beyond "as soon as possible".

I don't understand how there could be a single point of failure that would impact this many people. That just doesn't fly in today's world.

Agreed. Tonight is fine, tomorrow starts to be a problem. Much longer than that and I'm switching back to cable. For all the crap cable takes, I had good luck with twc/spectrum cable internet.
Spaceship
AG
FTAco07 said:

As I understand it, it was a fire at their Richardson data center and the fire dept asked them to cut the power until the issue was resolved. Data centers have redundant generators for power but if the issue is downstream and internal to the main electrical feed in the DC, I could see how this could occur.
FTAco07
AG
That's still a single point of failure for the vast majority of your DFW customers. Not acceptable, and if any commercial customers had a data center setup like this they wouldn't be a customer tomorrow.
OldAg93
AG
Going without TV and internet at home has been an inconvenience, but there are also quite a few small businesses impacted. The lack of info coming from AT&T is frustrating.

There have been some vague references on Twitter about another generator being brought online tonight, but there's no telling if that's accurate or not.
scoop12
AG
This wont age well:

drewser95
AG
Seems to be back on now, at least in Lower Greenville.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Seems to be back in Rockwall.
Phat32
AG
Back up. We all have a big problem.
Spaceship
AG
FTAco07 said:

That's still a single point of failure for the vast majority of your DFW customers. Not acceptable, and if any commercial customers had a data center setup like this they wouldn't be a customer tomorrow.

I don't disagree - it is unacceptable. But my point is that data center designers also don't engineer around all conceivable fire scenarios. They design to a very high degree of redundancy but things "do happen" on rare occasions. I'd wager that AT&T has some of the more sophisticated data centers around.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Whew I'm back......

I actually had to file my taxes today - the date for extensions is Oct 15.

And I had not done it as of 10am when I lost internet. Tried to get it going using phone hotspot but the Turbotax website did not like that - timeouts, etc....

I had to drive 30 miles to my wife's office where we have Spectrum and do everything from there - needed printers, multiple screens, etc. so I didn't want to just go to starbucks.

Bit of a panic when I realized it was possibly longterm major outage - but got it done.

just incredible that it would be today.

John Francis Donaghy
According to DMN a lightning strike caused a fire at their facility that took out both the primary and backup power supplies.

Seems like a freak thing, but 12 hours to get things back up and running isn't too bad considering the loss of both power sources.
Absolute
AG
Didn't check last night, was enjoying a quiet family night by the fire, with a little bit of phone use.

Need the net for work today, so happy it is back up. Can be sympathetic to a unexpected situation and outage, but their lack of communication and redundancy is pretty poor and does not inspire confidence as a new customer.
YouBet
AG
FTAco07 said:

You would be surprised. We had multiple branch offices go down earlier this year for over a day all due to one bad router at a Verizon data center.
hijakeroo123
AG
YouBet said:

FTAco07 said:

You would be surprised. We had multiple branch offices go down earlier this year for over a day all due to one bad router at a Verizon data center.
If you think that this is bad, you should have experienced Frontier DSL (FiOS was not available at our location) after the takeover from Verizon. Our company's internet would drop out multiple times almost every day with substandard speed when the connection was up (around 1-2 Mbps, when we had previously been receiving 15 consistently under Verizon). Thankfully, we were eventually able to get our local tech and his supervisor's numbers on speed dial (who actually knew what was going on) to hold over until our contract was up and we could switch to Spectrum. Their tech support center was useless at the time. Good riddance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.