Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best Mosquito Treatments?

4,606 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Comeby!
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Family is getting eaten up, especially the toddlers. Anyone have recommendations they mind sharing? We used to have ABC come out monthly but I've seen switched to using Demon myself. We did not really feel like their mosquito service was working, but now that we haven't had them out in 3 months we are getting swarmed at the garage and around the patio furniture.

I have called Mosquito Joes and MosquitoNix. Are their any others? What are your results?

Also put out the Spartan Mosquito Eradicator in June.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I've used the Off stuff you spray with the hose and it did NOTHING. I've used a thermocell & citronella candles and they did nothing.

I've yet to find anything that even makes a dent in them. We have a new puppy and I was being bitten 2-3+ times when I'd go out with him at 6:00am for 10 minutes.

It seems rougher now than earlier in the summer. I'd love to hear of some things that actually work for people cause so far I've found nothing.
Post removed:
by user
FincAg
AG
Yeah I got a couple tubes from Oruc Reis and it seemed to work alright, but that also could have just been that it was 110 degrees. I'm contemplating buying two packages (4 tubes) and getting the swarms knocked down, or going with a mosquito service. Just weighing the options.
YouBet
AG
They are horrendous right now. I guess because of the recent rain.

My dad had some kind of mister system installed all along his back porch eave. He swears by it and claims no more mosquitos. Not sure what's being misted. I'll ask.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
YouBet said:

My dad had some kind of mister system installed all along his back porch eave. He swears by it and claims no more mosquitos. Not sure what's being misted. I'll ask.

I've heard the misters work really well, but I think they're pretty expensive.
FincAg
AG
MosquitoNix said around $2,200 on average, then $75-$150 for 4-6 weeks of solution / maintenance.
grego
AG
We have liked mosquito nix. Definitely a huge improvement
Absolute
AG
Had great success with the Spartans earlier this year. At about 2 months they seemed to become ineffective despite refilling.

Put another set out last weekend. Hopefully they will catch back up. Took abouy a week to notice last time.
YouBet
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

YouBet said:

I've heard the misters work really well, but I think they're pretty expensive.

Yes, I think he spent $2k plus.
culdeus
AG
I have a mister. It works ok but can't keep up right now.

The tiger ones are really hard to kill or else I'm using the wrong stuff.
Van Buren Boy
AG
My brother In law owns this company. https://municipalmosquito.com/contact/. I've had him come out to my house with a back sprayer and give us a few weeks of relief. Not sure how much a service would cost but i can find out if you like.
debased
AG
I picked up some of the Spartans yesterday. Mosquitoes have been worse lately after the recent rain. Hopefully it will help. I hadn't heard of the Spartan til I saw this thread. Thanks for the info!
culdeus
AG
Yeah I got two of the spartans as well.

I can't seem to find the right answer of what to put in my sprayer for tigers. It seems like there is perhaps not a good answer.
culdeus
AG
FWIW: I did some more googling. The problem of the tiger is that it does not care whether it is day/night. My system is set to go off roughly 15 min before/after sunrise/set.

I'll make it a M-F every 2 hrs type thing all day for a couple weeks and see if i can make an impact along with the spartan when it shows up.

debased
AG
Russell Feed & Supply has the Spartans in stock for $20 a box (has 2 tubes in it). There are several locations around the area.
culdeus
AG
Confused a bit on the spartan thing. Says put under a tree, but not in the sun, but where it can get rain.

These seem mutually exclusive.

I think i'll just hang one under my car port and fill it back up with water and one under my biggest tree at about head high and do the same.

Will report back. I am also spraying every 3 hours 30 seconds on my mister from 6 am to dark
debased
AG
I can't tell any difference in my yard since I put out the Spartans almost a month ago. Granted, I only put 2 out instead of the recommended 4 if you start this late in the year, but my yard is pretty small so I thought it would be more effective.
AG
debased said:

I can't tell any difference in my yard since I put out the Spartans almost a month ago. Granted, I only put 2 out instead of the recommended 4 if you start this late in the year, but my yard is pretty small so I thought it would be more effective.
I put out 6 about the same time as you on a 1/4 acre lot. It seems to work during the day, but 6pm to sundown is still unbearable. A week ago *****ed the lawn with that cutter backyard spray. No change after that.

UV bug zapper in the garage did seem to take care of the indoor problem.
Absolute
AG
debased said:

I would swear when I put them out in the spring they worked great. May, June and July seemed squito free in my yard. But even after replacing them (4 on a typical suburban lot) we can barely go outside right now in the evening.
culdeus
AG
Swapping misting to dawn/dusk to every 2 hours all day helped.

I ran out of juice and was relying on the spartans for a week+ and things went to jungle levels immediately.

Juice is back in the tank and can at least attempt to exist outside for a time period.

They are finding their way into the house some, annoying as **** to get bit while sleeping in the face.
fistofsouth
Won't help the kids, but for the adults the answer is beer. For some reason mosquitoes steer clear of beer drinkers.
culdeus
AG
Getting worse again. I can't even open the door without being confronted with some.

I'm resigned to just using DEET at this point, none of the non toxic stuff works.
2wealfth Man
AG
culdeus said:

Getting worse again. I can't even open the door without being confronted with some.

I'm resigned to just using DEET at this point, none of the non toxic stuff works.
suckers in my yard seem oblivious to DEET and anything else.........
ftworthag02
AG
do yall have some big ass skeeters? Are they a different variety? Just like yall as soon as I go outside they're flying at my head, ankles, elbows, etc. Gotten to a point where I don't want to go outside
BosAG06
AG
Yup. From what I've read they are called floodwater mosquitos and apparently don't carry West Nile. But these suckers are huge. Bigger than I recall ever seeing. This is one that got in the house the other night....after 6pm you do not want to be outside.

https://imgur.com/a/0hhOdvd
ftworthag02
AG
Yup that's them
Comeby!
AG
Any more votes for Spartan?
culdeus
AG
I can't detect any difference using spartan in my yard. It does say you need to rig them up earlier in the season than I did. It's October so in theory we start to see fewer just for the season.
gvine07
AG
The cold weather should put a stop to them pretty quick.

For what it's worth I read that there are a ton of different species of mosquitoes. One treatment may work well for one species, and be worthless for another. If one seems to stop working then you are probably getting a new species. You may need to have different treatments going to repel/kill all those in your area.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I spray yard down with permethrin about once a month, starting in late spring through summer. It has always worked really, which may be due in part to it having a pretty strong residual component. It can stick around on the leaves of your plants/trees for several weeks, so it keeps killing well after you've sprayed.

I also used Spartan this year, which seemed to work well early in the summer. But by mid/late summer, it definitely took the permethrin to knock them back.
culdeus
AG
gvine07 said:

The cold weather should put a stop to them pretty quick.

For what it's worth I read that there are a ton of different species of mosquitoes. One treatment may work well for one species, and be worthless for another. If one seems to stop working then you are probably getting a new species. You may need to have different treatments going to repel/kill all those in your area.
The striped ones, sometimes called tiger, seem to be the hardest to keep knocked back.
FincAg
AG
Quote:

The striped ones, sometimes called tiger, seem to be the hardest to keep knocked back.
And they are large enough to use a fly swatter on!
Comeby!
AG
Wife doesn't appreciate me using the bug-a-salt gun around the house with skeeters/flies/moths mid flight. I tell her to think of it as a dry salt scrub on her feet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.