Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Morning News

3,196 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Joe Schillaci 48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I get an email advertising promo from the DMN. It is some female writer who proudly proclaims she is from Boston and for some reason has moved to Dallas to be a news writer. She says she loves it here for the culture and food.

She then says we all need to subscribe to her newspaper because the DMN is a treasure to North Texas.

I wrote her a nice response to thank her for her unsolicited email. (I had to google her...Naomi Martin to find her email address).I told her that I read her entire email and asked for the same courtesy in reading mine.

I told her that IMHO not only was the DMN opinion page extremely biased but most of the news writers and headline writers were also extremely biased. I dislike being shamed daily because I am a conservative.

I moved on to the sports page. The sports writers only mention the SEC in a derogatory manner. They have a sportswriter that allegedly covered Texas A&M sports (Ben Baby....is that a real name?) but finding Aggie sports news is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I asked her why would I want to spend my money for that.

I wished her good luck on her career and her decision to move to Texas but subscribing to her newspaper was way down on my list of things I cared to do.

Sadly do not think newspapers get it.

The Collective
AG

sherminator
Twitter.com
752bro4
AG
Headline tomorrow in DMN:
Bones08
AG
Cool cool cool...cool cool cool...cool story.
walton91
You really told her!
powerbelly
AG
I cant imagine having so little going on in my life that I start responding to spam emails.
752bro4
AG
powerbelly said:

I cant imagine having so little going on in my life that I start responding to spam emails.
What about responding to spam emails THEN posting about it on a message board.
HBCanine08
AG
752bro4 said:

powerbelly said:

What about responding to spam emails THEN posting about it on a message board.
Just Tired
I had the dmn a couple years when they offered me Sundays for $29/year and threw in Wednesdays as a bonus. I'd do it again at this price (ended probably 7 yrs ago) even with its continued deterioration.
DallasAggie0
You got sent a mass automated e-mail from someone and they did not read your response

AG
It would be nice if more DMN writers were from here.
AWP 97
AG
Ben Baby is an idiot. Reading his opinions on A&M would be like me being forced to cover tu. I wish I was a trillionaire so I could buy the DMN and fire everybody. I'm an idiot for reading it (online) but I don't feel like trying to find a better paper.
gomerschlep
AG
OP has definitely written a strongly worded letter to the UIL in the past
HarleySpoon
AG

Quote:

I've been nominated for membership in the National Geographic Society.
YouBet
AG
AWP 97 said:

Ben Baby is an idiot. Reading his opinions on A&M would be like me being forced to cover tu. I wish I was a trillionaire so I could buy the DMN and fire everybody. I'm an idiot for reading it (online) but I don't feel like trying to find a better paper.
Is he still there? The DMN just laid off most of their sports staff last week. They went from 30+ folks to 9 based on a story covered on The Ticket.
Matsui
AG
That was the New York post.
Ervin Burrell
AG
OP is the epitome of overly-sensitive Aggie. Probably Gil Renard's brother.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I must get a different DMN. The Aggie coverage is better than most other papers. I consistently see an attempt to cover the SEC as much, if not more than, the B12. They cover the good and the bad, but they provide a story almost every day with a positive A&M angle. I'm not a big fan of Baby's writing style, but I've seen worse and he doesn't have an anti-Aggie agenda.

Heck, today there was nearly a full page with positive articles about both JFFs (Coach and Heisman winner)

Edit - This morning (Thursday) there is a positive article on the front page of the Sports section about Coach JFF and the excitement at Coach's Nights around the state. First (and only) B12 article is on the last page, and is roughly the same size as the continued portion of the A&M story below it.
Gil Renard
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Haha if you don't think the DMN sports section isn't sip spin then you can continue to bury your head in the sand
Gil Renard
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

I wouldn't write to a media outlet period. CNN Fox agendas but hey maybe they don't have an agenda and we are just overly sensitive aggie and media outlets don't have homerism. Still not half as bad as the nutjobs on politics board that post

91AggieLawyer
AG
I grew up reading the DMN. At one time, we got both the DMN and Times Herald. When I was at A&M, I had to take the Times Herald because the DMN wouldn't deliver to me.

The DMN was a good paper until sometime in the mid to late '90s. It had its flaws -- Kevin Blackistone being one huge one -- but generally, it was a decent read. They had some insufferable editorials but they published several of my letters and most importantly kept the quality of their news reasonably high. Sometime in the early 2000s, the quality changed dramatically. It got to where, about 10 years ago, that the only reason I took the paper was for the Friday night HS football coverage. I quickly realized that wasn't worth it and cancelled the print but kept the online. That lasted less than a year.

I haven't read that paper in over 5 years and have no plans to ever read it again.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Very similar experience. I grew up with it when it had a great sports page, consistently rated one of the best in the country. But it went into the crapper in the 2000's as the industry started suffering financially. The content kept getting scaled back while the subscription price escalated quickly. I ditched it probably 9-10 years ago and never looked back. I occasionally will scan one while waiting my turn at Sport Clips, and every time is a reminder of why I stopped getting it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.