Metroplex
Sponsored by

Little Ag in need of B- blood transfusion

1,481 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
WhoHe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is cross-posted on Premium, and someone suggested putting it here as well, since Haylie is at Children's in Dallas.

There's a family of good Ags in DFW who need the power of the Network. Little 11-year-old Haylie was diagnosed with leukemia several days ago and she is in dire need of blood transfusions to fight the cancer. She happens to be blood type B-, which according to her doctors is a very rare blood type. They simply don't have the volume of B- blood and platelets available for the transfusions she's requiring.

Given her condition, she can only receive B- blood transfusions, and while B- platelets are preferred and more effective she can receive other types on platelets since the proteins have been removed.

If you or anyone you know is blood type B-, Haylie desperately needs your help! You can visit any Carter BloodCare donation center or event ([url=http://www.carterbloodcare.org/donate-blood/][/url]http://www.carterbloodcare.org/donate-blood/) and give them the following information:

Sponsor # SPON033472 for Haylie G. at Children's Medical Center of Dallas.

Haylie is the daughter of two Aggie parents, one who is an Army Veteran that chose to enlist upon graduating after 9-11. We are all too aware that bad things happen to good people, and these are some of the best people - but we can help them. Also, while Haylie needs B-, there is always a need for blood donations, so Haylie and her parents are asking for donations of all types if you are able.

Haylie's story and her call for blood donations of all types was featured on Fox 4 earlier this week ... here's the link:

http://www.fox4news.com/news/trophy-club-girl-s-cancer-battle-highlights-need-for-blood-donations

C'mon Ags, Haylie needs you to BTHO donating blood!
AW 1880
AG
Any idea if O- would work? I thought it was a universal donor.
WhoHe
AG
AW 1880 said:

Any idea if O- would work? I thought it was a universal donor.

Not in this case given her condition ... she had to have B- blood, but can accept any type platelets if B- is not available.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
So will work for platelets but not for blood. And she will need a ton of both. Please share and spread the word.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
We know them from their time in Rockwall and they're a great family. I guarantee they'd be the first in line to help if somebody else was in a similar place of need.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

So will work for platelets but not for blood. And she will need a ton of both. Please share and spread the word.

This is correct. This is a marathon and having donors show up regularly is key, not just for Haylie but for our entire community.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
An update shared on premium by Haylie's Father:

Quote:

Howdy Ags!

Haylie is my daughter.

Please forgive me for the very delayed response but we have been getting use to our new normal. I have been trying to create this post of over a week now. Just to make things a little more changing, my wife (Haylie's mom) is currently in the Operating Room for a condition we just discovered two days ago.

We were unaware of the original TexAgs post about Haylie and we have been playing catchup. For the last 14 years, I have avoided social media to ensure my security clearances were not affected. Since I am out of the Army and to help get the word out about our daughter, I am now joining 2004 and this whole social media thing; It looks like it may stick around for a while .

I cannot express how grateful our family is for the overwhelming support. We are blown away by the actions and willingness to assist others in support of our daughter is humbling! The number of Aggies willing to flight to Dallas and donate blood and platelets for our daughter and other Aggies donating their miles to get the B- folks to DallasI am floored, just floored! Once again, the Aggie Network answers the call no matter what is requested of them. It makes me so proud to be an Aggie!

We have had a crash course in leukemia and the need for blood during the treatment process. For us, this process may be a short-term need or it could be our new normal until Haylie BTHO Leukemia! It all depends on how Haylie's body responds to the treatments.

To compound Haylie's fight with leukemia and as stated in previous posts, this time of year is a reduced time for people to contribute to blood and platelet donations. FYI - it was an Aggie family which started the blood drive in Trophy Club to benefit our daughter. God is using our situation and trial to help get the word out about the need for blood and platelets for all types. This need is not for just for cancer patients but for everyone in need of blood. This need is great. As others have stated, both blood and platelets have a short shelf life, so the need for these items are constant and the need is real.

At this time, we cannot predict when and what type of additional transfusions Haylie will need. This all depends on how her body responds to the treatments. So, if and when you feel or the Lord telling you to give blood/platelets, please do so.

FYI - If people donated blood 2 4 times a year, we would have this blood and platelet shortage problem.

God Bless, Thanks, BTHO Leukemia, and BTHO this Blood/Platelet Request!

InvisibleSwordsman
Bumping this one for an extremely important cause. Haylie and her folks are the nicest people you could ever meet. When Michael talks about their situation, he brings up the dozens of other kids in the hospital with Haylie that are benefitting from the attention Haylie has received. Whether you have B- or any other blood type, please consider donating.
SoTheySay
S
Still a need? I don't frequent this board but will be in DFW next weekend and happen to be a B- unicorn.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
While current inventory levels are the best they have been at this time in years( Thanks to the outpouring of support for and to this special family) , the need is constant. If you are able and in the area, please donate. If you are eligible, and not in our service area, please donate at your community blood center.

Blood has a shelf life of 42 days, so donations made in early June have all been used up and we will need donations over the next few weeks to finish out summer and head into Labor Day.

Thanks for considering and for all that have given and will continue to give.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
ToddyHill
AG
I just found this thread. I will gladly donate platelets or blood. I am B negative, and I am negative for cytomegalovirus.

I donate platelets all the time.

Here's the only issue....I live in East Tennessee and I donate through Medic Regional. Feel free to email me at psoasmajorman@yahoo.com

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
ToddyHill said:

I just found this thread. I will gladly donate platelets or blood. I am B negative, and I am negative for cytomegalovirus.

I donate platelets all the time.

Here's the only issue....I live in East Tennessee and I donate through Medic Regional. Feel free to email me at psoasmajorman@yahoo.com

You got that special baby blood being CMV neg! Keep giving in your area. NICU babies are relying on you!
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.