Metroplex
Sponsored by

When did homeowner insurance get so out of control here?

4,370 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ktc00
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm shocked at the annual premium, nearly 1% of total loss replacement cost, and that's with USAA.
bbattbq01
AG
Probably about when people started getting new roofs every time a hail stone hit it.
wbt5845
AG
That sounds high.

Mine was about $2300 on a house with replacement cost of about $350,000 - and that's with a couple of riders for jewelry and musical instruments.

You should contact Liere Insurance (shameless plug for a TexAgs sponsor) and get a quote from them.
The Collective
AG
Yea, I'm under 1% of replacement cost with Allstate. What kind of deductible do you have?

But, yea, agree with the above - putting a ton of houses squeezed next to each other in the heart of hail country isn't a recipe for success. Sure, there are more people paying, but now when a hail event happens - the chance of impacting structures is up significantly.
texag84
AG
Shop for and replace annually if needed. The first year premium is cheaper to get you as a client then they raise the rates.
AggieFrog
AG
wbt5845 said:

That sounds high.

Mine was about $2300 on a house with replacement cost of about $350,000 - and that's with a couple of riders for jewelry and musical instruments.

You should contact Liere Insurance (shameless plug for a TexAgs sponsor) and get a quote from them.

This. I'm at about 0.5% of value for my homeowners.
jpd301
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Probably about when people started getting new roofs every time a hail stone hit it.
Some of my neighbors have had three roofs in the decade I have lived in my house. My roofer finally said I need a new one after last weeks storm.
bbattbq01
AG
jpd301 said:

bbattbq01 said:

Some of my neighbors have had three roofs in the decade I have lived in my house. My roofer finally said I need a new one after last weeks storm.

I've been in my house almost 7 and called USAA this week to come check mine out finally. Figure they keep raising my premium for having an old roof might as well join in the fun and get a brand spanking new one.
culdeus
AG
After storms the last 5 or so years I don't think insurance can really ever catch up to my claims. Roofer ate deductible on one of them too.

I don't really follow why they wont discount heavier for IR roofs. It's either IR don't really work or they don't see the value.
aggielostinETX
AG
About .65% here.
BrianDemarais
AG
I'm in insurance and Bbattbq01 hit the nail on the head. It's the roofs that are killing rates. People file claims when they really don't need a new roof, the insurance carriers take a loss, and overrall rates go up. If you would like some quotes, I would be happy to assist. If you google my username, you will find my info.
YouBet
AG
Liere cut mine in half. Literally.

Probably need to check in with them and see if I can cut it again.
Texas Ag Mom
I am soooo sick of paying (thru my increased prem) for everyones new roofs. People in my neighborhood get a new roof everytime a storm comes thru. We built our home in 1996 & in 2003 a big hail storm came thru & we certainly did have damage but we still have the same roof! Had a storm come thru last week & there are roofers coming to our door & calling non stop. Roofing signs in all the yards including one of them that had some sort of hail prevention roof installed in 2012.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Try selling your house with a roof that hasn't been replaced when needed.

You are "uninsurable" and the sale is dead. In other words, the buyer has to be able to get insurance and if the insurance company won't provide the docs, then no sale.

Texas Ag Mom
I am well aware of that. Not planning to sell any time soon. After 22 years & multiple hail storms the time has finally come for a new roof however summer is not the best time to be getting a roof replaced so we will tackle that in the fall.
redass1876
AG
Liere Insurance; give them a call. Aggie owned insurance broker. They did good for my rates; My house is less than 0.5% replacement cost annually
jpd301
AG
Shooter McGavin said:

Try selling your house with a roof that hasn't been replaced when needed.

You are "uninsurable" and the sale is dead. In other words, the buyer has to be able to get insurance and if the insurance company won't provide the docs, then no sale.

Co-worker had filed a claim for a new roof on a rental house he owned. Insurance co A denied that it needed a roof.

Month later he is selling the home, Insurance Co A is also the buyers insurance company and tells the buyer that the house can not be insured unless it has a new roof due to significant hail damage.

Co-worker gave his agent the two denial letters from the same company, one saying the roof is fine and one saying it needs replaced and asked them to get their story straight or he'll call a reporter.

He got a new roof.
helgs
AG
I have Progressive and pay about $2200 a year on a $315k value. But I have a steel roof, detached garage, no pets, no pool/trampoline, live on top of a hill (so no flooding), and no other riders.

My first home I bought almost 10 years ago was only about $1200 to insure, but it's value was half of what my current home was (and I got 3 roofs on that house!!!). They kept replacing the roof with the cheapest composite shingles they could find. My new house has a steel roof and that was one of the reasons why I chose the house.

Only bad thing about a steel roof is that when it rains or hails, it is LOUD.
BrianDemarais
AG
I will also add that a huge factor (probably even more so than roof age) for insurance rates on an individual basis is credit score. If you have a bad credit score, you aren't going to get a favorable rate regardless of roof age or the size of your home.
cmiller00
AG
When we built our house I had the impact resistant shingles put on. This was about 5 years ago but if I remember correctly the cost increase for those shingles paid for itself in just under 3 years from the lower insurance premiums quoted by my agent at the time.
DadAG10
helgs said:

I have Progressive and pay about $2200 a year on a $315k value. But I have a steel roof, detached garage, no pets, no pool/trampoline, live on top of a hill (so no flooding), and no other riders.

My first home I bought almost 10 years ago was only about $1200 to insure, but it's value was half of what my current home was (and I got 3 roofs on that house!!!). They kept replacing the roof with the cheapest composite shingles they could find. My new house has a steel roof and that was one of the reasons why I chose the house.

They paid to replace what was on the house. If it was cheap shingles when you bought it, they paid to replace cheap shingles.

You ultimately are the one who kept replacing with cheap shingles. You could have upgraded out of pocket, and then the next storm they would replace at that level of shingle.
helgs
AG
DadAG10 said:

helgs said:

They paid to replace what was on the house. If it was cheap shingles when you bought it, they paid to replace cheap shingles.

You ultimately are the one who kept replacing with cheap shingles. You could have upgraded out of pocket, and then the next storm they would replace at that level of shingle.
You're right, good point. It just seems that replacing a roof every 3 years would be expensive for them. I guess they fear they'd upgrade the roof and I bail to a new insurance company.
culdeus
AG
cmiller00 said:

When we built our house I had the impact resistant shingles put on. This was about 5 years ago but if I remember correctly the cost increase for those shingles paid for itself in just under 3 years from the lower insurance premiums quoted by my agent at the time.
I find that hard to believe. Insurance rates are roughly 1k/150k in Texas +/- as a baseline. (Yes I realize some pay a ton more).

You may have been paying way too much for insurance to begin with, is my guess.

cmiller00
AG
I pay lower than that. Was with Farm Bureau now with Nationwide Private Client. Both were much lower with the higher class of shingles.

Edited to add the difference wasn't between what I was paying and a new rate. The difference was between the quote for my new build with what was called a Class 4 roof and the normal 30 year shingle. The quote with a Class 4 roof was $1400/year less so it was actually just a little over 3 years to pay for itself.
culdeus
AG
cmiller00 said:

I pay lower than that. Was with Farm Bureau now with Nationwide Private Client. Both were much lower with the higher class of shingles.

Edited to add the difference wasn't between what I was paying and a new rate. The difference was between the quote for my new build with what was called a Class 4 roof and the normal 30 year shingle. The quote with a Class 4 roof was $1400/year less so it was actually just a little over 3 years to pay for itself.

I have 340k insurance with safeco at 2150/yr.

The discount they quoted me for IR was like 8% less, maybe a couple hundred bucks a year off. So I told them to get lost and replace it next year.
Glang18
AG
I actually work with Goosehead here in Dallas, I've been having a of luck lately gettin peoples rates down. I have 20 something carriers I can quote from so like 90% of the time I get a better price. I'd love to help out some Ags in the area so if you want to see if I can do anything for you just shoot me an email at gillett.langston@goosehead.com and let's see if I can't put some money back in your pocket.
ntxaggie
I am at about .5% of value with USAA, and that is after a slight increase after the great hail storm of 2017 which resulted in a roof replacement claim. I have my deductible for wind & hail at 2% which helps with the premium, but was painful when we had the claim. I don't like that USAA requires a cosmetic damage waiver to get a discount for impact resistant shingles. This thread reminds me that I wanted to shop around this year.
ktc00
AG
USAA is not what it used to be. It pays to shop around. I saved a ton switching to Farmers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.