Metroplex
Sponsored by

House hunting for job near Legacy and Dallas North Tollway

5,689 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wbt5845
HomeFinderCody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Even if you don't want to build, there could be complete or near-complete inventory homes that are new. Sometimes that's the best of both worlds...new home, but not having to go through the construction process.

Cody
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
gig em 02
pathAG04 said:

jtraggie99 said:

pathAG04 said:

based solely on your desire for the best public schools, you might consider going south or west. specifically highland park, coppell, or southlake (carroll isd). highland park would require you to increase your budget, maybe significantly. southlake borders on being too far of a commute to legacy and dnt (30-35min without traffic, but depending on when you make the drive, it might be against traffic). coppell is not particularly close to downtown dallas. all three are highly rated school districts and are strong K-12, at least according to school rating systems.

Why in the world would they do that? Why lock yourself into a commute from Highland Park or Coppell or Carroll when they can afford to live close to Legacy and the Plano schools in that area are great? You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in that part of Plano.
maybe that commute or those locations are not your cup of tea, but my suggestion is not for you. op wants to find the best public education he can. why not consider? those areas, because of the schools, have lots of kids and families.
Yea West Plano and the schools there are really bad, it would totally be worth a 2 hour commute and a $300 monthly toll bill to live in Coppell or Southlake.
jtraggie99
AG
gig em 02 said:

pathAG04 said:

jtraggie99 said:

pathAG04 said:

based solely on your desire for the best public schools, you might consider going south or west. specifically highland park, coppell, or southlake (carroll isd). highland park would require you to increase your budget, maybe significantly. southlake borders on being too far of a commute to legacy and dnt (30-35min without traffic, but depending on when you make the drive, it might be against traffic). coppell is not particularly close to downtown dallas. all three are highly rated school districts and are strong K-12, at least according to school rating systems.

Why in the world would they do that? Why lock yourself into a commute from Highland Park or Coppell or Carroll when they can afford to live close to Legacy and the Plano schools in that area are great? You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in that part of Plano.
maybe that commute or those locations are not your cup of tea, but my suggestion is not for you. op wants to find the best public education he can. why not consider? those areas, because of the schools, have lots of kids and families.
Yea West Plano and the schools there are really bad, it would totally be worth a 2 hour commute and a $300 monthly toll bill to live in Coppell or Southlake.

Yeah, kind of my point. I mean HP, Coppell, and Carroll are all great public schools. But so is Plano West and most of the schools feeding into it. Why do that to yourself when you have everything you are looking for close by.

But to each their own...
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL at the Southlake advice.

As mentioned already, keep in mind the congestion in tbis area. There is now more office space at Legacy and DNT than in downtown Dallas and within a couple of years will have more workers too. You may be able to get to the vicinity in 30-40 minutes if you live a little further like some of the other suggestions, but that last 2-3 miles and getting into the office are taking a LOT more time and it's just going to get worse. There will be no more streets built or expanded to help with this.

At your price range, i'd recommend the west Plano "box" someone outlined above. I'd look along that DNT corridor between Bush and 121. You can find some very nice homes for that price. Quick commute to Legacy, and quick access to the tollway speeds a commute elsewhere.

From a quality of education standpoint, you won't do better than Plano West
Garrelli 5000
AG
You want to be in Lovejoy ISD - far east Allen, Fairview, and Lucas.

My wife and I live in east Allen and commute to legacy/tollway. 30 minutes.
Take the trash out staff.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Go to Prosper!
AgLaw
AG
OP, I live in the "box" outlined above. I also have insight into the Plano schools. If you want to meet up for coffee, shoot me a PM. Happy to do it. Good luck with your decision.
cadetjay02
AG
I live in Prosper and am not really a fan, but the idea of Lovejoy baffles me. That's not a fun 30 minute drive when Prosper has the same neighborhoods with big lots and a easier commute. I would stick with Plano West or a little further north into the southern part of Frisco.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I understand. When we built Prosper was still a hit or miss proposition - the housing market was down (2010) and there was no guarantee of when it would return.

We built on 1/4 acre, which is a rarity in Lovejoy since the vast majority of homes are in 1 acre minimum developments.

The shopping at 75/Stacy was already developed. We didn't know when Prosper would begin to pick up again.

We've considered moving near the office, but at the end of the day we're less than 10 years from paying off the mortgage our home at its current value on the market is significantly nicer than anything near the office for the same amount. Things are slower around here and I can get anything w/in a 5 minute drive that has little traffic.
Ag CPA
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I live in Prosper and am not really a fan, but the idea of Lovejoy baffles me. That's not a fun 30 minute drive when Prosper has the same neighborhoods with big lots and a easier commute. I would stick with Plano West or a little further north into the southern part of Frisco.
When I worked in Legacy I always heard that Lovejoy has the best schools in the area.

Quote:

Many of Legacy's execs live in Southlake, wonder why?
bac
AG
wbt5845 said:

wtelford said:

Thanks for the responses! I would like to keep it under 750 if possible, but I'm willing to consider other options if necessary to achieve our goals.

You might be bringing a lot of equity with you from a home in CA to be looking in that range (or you may just be rich af). Be prepared to have about $15,000-$17,000 $20,000 annual property taxes on a $750,000 home. I'm not kidding.
FIFY
DannyDuberstein
AG
Who makes up this "many"? I know a ton of folks (particularly top execs) from a few of the big companies there (Frito-Lay in particular) and almost nobody is out in Southlake. I couldnt name a single one. In fact, less than a year ago I had a conversation with a VP that lives in Frisco but is considering Southlake, but says they would only do it if they leave the company and take a job out that direction. Not to say no one is out there, but I do not think it is common at all. For top execs that live further from Legacy, it's usually Highland Park.

Also, betting on 121 to provide in the same east-west commute time (critical to someone choosing Coppell, Southlake, Lovejoy, etc) that it does now is a mistake. It's getting pretty congested already and worsening quickly. Evem just the past six months has seen a significant change.
gig em 02
Ag CPA said:

cadetjay02 said:

When I worked in Legacy I always heard that Lovejoy has the best schools in the area.

Quote:

Many of Legacy's execs live in Southlake, wonder why?

Is Legacy a company or are you just referring to the area in general?

There are a million reasons why someone might choose to commute from Southlake. Imagine how much that commute changed in the last two years, especially between 35 and DNT, now imagine 2 years from now. It's going to be nuts.

It's going to be a 2 hour commute with zero increase in educational quality. That's not to say there aren't other reasons people would choose to live there. Isn't it great that we have all these great communities in DFW, too bad Houston can't say the same thing.
wbt5845
AG
I love it:

OP: I want to live near 121 and Legacy.

Replies: You need to live in Southlake - you need to live in Lovejoy

Others: Plano and Frisco ISDs are just as good.

Replies:

Ol Jock 99
AG
hatchback said:

You could even get into a nice house in Lakewood for that budget. Lakewood ES is one of the best in Dallas. Long MS and Woodrow HS are also good schools. DISD might have some trouble schools, but as a whole it's a good district.

Lakewood to Legacy during rush hour?? Are you trying to get the OP shot by his wife?

(And I love East Dallas)
Garrelli 5000
AG
Actually, he said

Quote:

... My main goal is the best public education I can find....
I will likely be working out of the house, while my wife commutes to Legacy and Dallas North Tollway.
Can anyone recommend areas we should consider?
edit: i meant to put the
DannyDuberstein
AG
Then Plano West it is. Won't find better.
gig em 02
On the bright side, each month during her commute she could listen to every single podcast ever recorded.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm in the Castle Hills area and commute to 121/toll way and it's consistently 15 min. Area/schools are great as well. You can't go wrong and will get more for your money in Castle Hills, Moore Farm, or Homestead.
wtelford
AG
Update:
Thanks for all the help. For the sake of simplicity I didn't post all of our requirements, but this thread was helpful none the less. We should close at the end of this month on a home in Prosper. Commute should be fine for my wife, and its definitely looking like I'll be working out of the house.

We looked at a ton of Plano and Frisco but it just didn't fit our needs. Plano West had some nice neighborhoods, but the homes for sale were ancient and needed a tremendous amount of updating. Frisco had nice homes but the area didn't appeal to us (and the lots were tiny).

Prosper had the homes we were looking for and an area that appealed, while still placing us close enough to Frisco and Plano's amenities.

I guess once we move in early August I'm sure I'll be looking for suggestions for how to entertain a family with young children in the area. Right now we're just hiding in the AC.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Congrats. That should be a good spot. Plano has been mostly built out for a number of years now, so yeah, most of the homes date to the 1990s or earlier, and as far as updates go, it really just depends on the house/neighborhood. Lot size is similar too. A lot of nice lots near parks, creeks, and greenbelts (the lot for our first house in Plano was enormous), but in this seller's environment, finding a place that is as updated as you prefer + sits on a big lot + being the winning bid + being on a timeline + residing in another state while searching can take a minor miracle.
aggielostinETX
AG
wtelford said:

Speaking of commutes and traffic, what time of day is rush hour in that area? Also what is considered a "bad" commute. My current commute is 50-75 minutes. My wife would be comfortable with anything under 30-35 minutes at peak traffic.
I would look at Bent Tree and possibly private schools.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

Imagine how much that commute changed in the last two years, especially between 35 and DNT, now imagine 2 years from now. It's going to be nuts.
As an aside, Sam Rayburn's 4th lane expansion is supposed to open in 2021.
Comeby!
AG
There is no dispute here - Frisco.
The school district is second to none, close to anything you will need. With your budget you can buy in the gated Shaddock Creek or Newman Village. Not sure why people are sending you to Southlake or far away. Traffic will make you want to die.
wtelford
AG
Thanks to the last 3 posters, in the long thread you probably missed my update. We pulled the trigger on a home in Prosper. Traffic has not been bad, and infrastructure seems to be getting built out at a rapid pace to relieve it. I know more people will come, but it seems manageable and well worth the trade off. We like the larger lots and seclusion we were able to find.
aggielostinETX
AG
I misread that to think you were looking in Prosper still.

Enjoy it.
wbt5845
AG
Congrats on your new home.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.