Metroplex
Sponsored by

Backyard Shed/Office - aka "Shoffice"

2,059 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Deats99
aggiedadofpanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are looking at putting a fully outfitted (electrical, plumbing) shed in our backyard which will be primarily used as a home office and man cave. Has anyone done something similar? It seems there are a number of companies out there that do this kind of thing, but many are based on the West Coast. I'd like to find someone local to DFW, as we're looking for a company that can handle design, laying the foundation, installation, and electrical/plumbing. For reference, something similar to this is what we're trying to go for:

https://www.studio-shed.com/home-office-spaces/

TIA for any recommendations, budget is ~$35K
Corps_Ag12
AG
What size are you looking for? You could probably get one of these and hire someone local to install it. I watched the videos, looks pretty straightforward like a tiny home.
Raptor
AG
For $35k can't you just add on to your house?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

aggiedadofpanda
AG
We would have to add "up". Apparently that takes it into a whole new price bracket. This was the compromise after getting a few bids to build a second story.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of a separate backyard structure. That only I have the keys to...the 5 and 3 year old are master stair climbers.

aggiedadofpanda
AG
Looking at 12x14 or so. I'd be great with finding a local reputable company to build it out for me, but would also need them to handle laying a foundation, running electrical, plumbing, etc. I did not get the "handy" gene passed down to me.
LSB_2002
AG
I think a 20 x 20 minimum is your starting point! You'll never regret going bigger, but you'll always want more space, as you add things into the mancave! Guarantee you that!
FincAg
AG
If you haven't already, check with your city codes before you get too excited. Might be a lot cheaper and less work to go pier beam than pouring 2 yards of concrete and opens up renovation for when you're finished with the office use.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
That's a great point. Will check codes today.
hatchback
AG
Check zoning also. Many cities have limitations on square footage for accessory buildings to single family residential - can only be a certain percentage of the area of the main structure. Also, over a certain square footage and you'll need a building permit.
helgs
AG
Oh man, just move!
Agnzona
Codes my force you into a temporary structure vs a permanent one. Codes generally suck.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Ha! Trust me, that's been discussed. However, we love our neighborhood, love our neighbors, and moving is a gigantic pain. Thanks everyone for the help!
dcAg
Be careful of the setbacks as well and make sure it wont be in an easement.
ac04
have you considered a she-shed?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Damnit. Beat me to it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
ac04 said:

have you considered a she-shed?
Get a she-shier she-shed.
Deats99
AG
So my FIL has done this for years. He handles dispatching repair teams and equipment for Asian mining operations for a major equipment manufacturer that you have heard of. He has a 12' by 16' building with a front porch. He works some crazy hours so he likes it for the separation. Also pretty handy when we moved them from Waxahachie to Lake Fork. The unit has a separate power, data, and satellite hook up. Pretty funny when you think about one dude in East Texas controlling teams of engineers, equipment, and mechanics in China that are be dispatched by transport and helicopter all over upper Manchuria.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.