Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best Energy Provider/Plan

3,090 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 3rd Platoon
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know most providers are not great, but I am going to be moving and will be switching from Coserv to another provider. I'd be interested to see if anyone has had a good experience with any particular company or a cautionary experience. I'm looking at Gexa vs. TXU right now, but I'd be interested to hear about others. Thanks!
JaceAG12
Powertochoose.com and pick the plan that works best for you.
helgs
AG
I mean, all you are choosing is who sends you your bill. All of the electricity comes to your house from the same grid as everyone else. Go with the best deal.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Energy Ogre has worked well for us.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Choose Energy - where are you getting your energy? its a simple question. where are you getting your energy in this world? energy is becoming more and more and more of a factor in in everybody's world. everybody's world. id like to direct you to a new client we have on this station named choose energy. choose energy is an absolutely fantastic way of getting your energy in this world. choose energy allows you to choose the company you want. choose the company you want to deliver your energy. choose energy gives you fantastic choices in the energy area and its up to you to simply look at the choices and determine which one is best for you. choose energy will hear a lot more about in the coming days on our station. choose energy is a way to save you money. choose energy is the way of the future enabling you to choose the energy source you want. the one that works best for you. the one that saves the most energy money. choose energy
The Pilot
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Texas Ag Mom
I used power to choose for years but I finally realized that you don't find the cheapest rates. I now use awesome power which uses your previous 12 months of data (from smart meter). Their service is free & was started by a couple of Coppell HS grads. I actually did a lot of research before I found AP & I already knew what my usage was & the rates for the cheapest plan I could find. Then I used AP & found their results matched mine exactly. I will not use anyone else & I also have helped some friends & family learn how important & easy it is to switch providers at the end of every contract.

https://www.awesomepowertexas.com/
BigNastyNate
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Choose Energy - where are you getting your energy? its a simple question. where are you getting your energy in this world? energy is becoming more and more and more of a factor in in everybody's world. everybody's world. id like to direct you to a new client we have on this station named choose energy. choose energy is an absolutely fantastic way of getting your energy in this world. choose energy allows you to choose the company you want. choose the company you want to deliver your energy. choose energy gives you fantastic choices in the energy area and its up to you to simply look at the choices and determine which one is best for you. choose energy will hear a lot more about in the coming days on our station. choose energy is a way to save you money. choose energy is the way of the future enabling you to choose the energy source you want. the one that works best for you. the one that saves the most energy money. choose energy

Norm? That you?
BlueAg2003
AG
I guess it has just been awhile since I have really had to think about all of this, but I'm extremely confused by all of these options. For some of these plans, I'm seeing that if I stay in a sweet spot of 500-1000 kWh, then the highest my bill will be is $25.00? Does this seem right? I currently have Coserv, like I said above and my bill hovers consistently around $40-50. My usage is usually right around 500 kWh, in a one-bedroom.

We are about to move to a two-bedroom, so I'm not sure exactly how much we will be using. What scares me is that the rate jumps drastically one way or the other (if we go over or use to little). I don't want to have to play a game every month where we have to guess how much we've used. I don't think we would ever use more than 1000 kWh because we are generally never home between 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM, but I would be upset if one month we're hit with a $190 bill because we went 1 kWh over. These stupid plans are confusing.
ChiveOn
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

+1
ChiveOn
AG

dp
BlueAg2003
AG
Giving Energry Ogre a try. We'll see what kind of luck I have!
Whoop99
AG
http://www.texaspowerguide.com/

Go to this website and enter your zip code and usage in kWh (available at https://www.smartmetertexas.com/ )for the previous 12 months. It will calculate the best plan for you based on your usage. I used to do these calculations by hand every 6-12 months after parsing through the plans on powertochoose. Not any longer. The website will even setup free rate monitoring for you based on your usage.

Good luck!
Gig 'Em,

Whoop99
culdeus
AG
That second link is dead.
Whoop99
AG
Fixed the second link. Thanks.
Gig 'Em,

Whoop99
BlueAg2003
AG
Estimating my usage now won't help because I'm moving into a bigger place. I am actually able to see it on my current bill, but the new place will experience a jump in energy used. I just don't know how much.

I ended up going with Energy Ogre and they signed my up for a plan with a company called Our Energy, but it looks like I'll be in a 12 month contract. So do I just cancel my Energy Ogre "membership"? It's $10 a month but there is nothing that they'll be providing me until the next time I need a contract. It seems like I just paid $10 for them to find me a company, which is fine because I didn't want to deal with it. But now what?
Duncan Idaho
I love the service....i hate that the market is so ****ed that there is a needs for then but I love the service.

It has never happened to me but part of their service is that they will roll you out if a plan when a new plan and sign up bonuses beat your early termination fee.

Granted my bills are tiny but for someone with $300+ bills it would be a big plus.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I just keep it on. Some times the best is a 12month, other times it is a 6month. Our first month with them, we saved an unreal amount of money compared to our previous plan. That savings alone, not to mention the time it takes to research and switch, makes it worth it for us to just keep them.
Ornlu
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

I guess it has just been awhile since I have really had to think about all of this, but I'm extremely confused by all of these options. For some of these plans, I'm seeing that if I stay in a sweet spot of 500-1000 kWh, then the highest my bill will be is $25.00? Does this seem right? I currently have Coserv, like I said above and my bill hovers consistently around $40-50. My usage is usually right around 500 kWh, in a one-bedroom.

We are about to move to a two-bedroom, so I'm not sure exactly how much we will be using. What scares me is that the rate jumps drastically one way or the other (if we go over or use to little). I don't want to have to play a game every month where we have to guess how much we've used. I don't think we would ever use more than 1000 kWh because we are generally never home between 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM, but I would be upset if one month we're hit with a $190 bill because we went 1 kWh over. These stupid plans are confusing.
I almost bought one of those plans, knowing that my average usage is like 650kWh. But I had to think: what if one fall month the temperatures are nice, you don't run the AC much, and you only use 400kWh. You go read the meter a day before they do, and realize that you're 100 kWh under your quota, and will be getting a huge bill unless you waste 100kWH today, on purpose. What equipment are you use to waste that much energy? Turn all the lights on, plug in a space heater for no good reason, leave the refrigerator door open, and run the garberator for 12 hours?
Mojave
AG
I signed up with "Discount Power," Super Saver - 36 plan. (Three year contract)
Flat rate of 5.614 cents per kWh, plus the ONCOR charges of 3.4556 cents per kWh and $3.49 per month.
Total cost for 1000 kWh = 9.4 cents/kWh
Total cost for 2000 kWh = 9.2 cents/kWh
That was the best I could find (for my useage) in Ft. Worth.
It is supposed to be turned on today.
3rd Platoon
AG
I just signed up for a very similar deal with TriEagle Energy.

It's a 36-month plan, and I'm at an overall 9.1 kWh after the Oncor fee, so my rate with TriEagle is about 5.65 kWh fixed. It was one of the better deals around, especially for such a long term.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.