Metroplex
Sponsored by

Trying to start a D/FW 42 Club and Random Partner 42 Tourney May 5th

907 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PlanoAg98
wayneph
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was talking with some friends the other day from Austin, and there's a group that's formed a 42 club and hosts leagues and tournaments through out the year. I haven't gotten to play as often as I did in the past, so I kind of got the gears turning to see if I could get a group together to do something similar up here in the Metroplex. It won't be all Ags, but enough of us play 42, I thought I would find some interested folks here.

To kick it off, I'm organizing a fun Random Partner Tourney (5 rounds, different partners each round) for May 5th at 3:00 pm. There's no entry fee for the tourney since the goal is to try and get as many people there as we can. I should have the location determined in a day or two. Here's a link to the Facebook Event page that will always have the updated information.

I hoping to have enough interest to set up 8 week league this summer. Since we're spread out over such a large area, I'm guessing we'll have East/West divisions for the weekly games. Around mid-August, we'll do a final tournament for the playoff/championship. More of that will be talked about and figured out at the Tourney May 5th.

As more details come up, I'll add them into this post as well. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know or post them in the event. Look forward to hopefully meting some people and playing some more 42!
--wayne '01
bthotugigem05
AG
I can't play that day but am definitely up for a league or somesuch.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I'm definitely interested. Love to play 42.

I'll keep checking back here.
Old Buffalo
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I can't play that day but am definitely up for a league or somesuch.

Same here. In Frisco area for future plans.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I've run and played in several tournaments and leagues (several years back). There are different styles of play I have found after playing at A&M where it was more commonly anything goes there.

Make sure you've got your rules established and well documented. You don't want arguments.

Typical rules for tournaments and leagues are a little stricter than when playing for fun.

The typical rules for tourneys and leagues I've played in or run are:

• No forced bid on the last bidder (if all pass you can lay down and pass the shake)
  • No Sevens allowed.
  • Nello is only allowed with Doubles High (Normal) or Doubles a Suit of the Own (Doubles catch Doubles) variants. Doubles Low in their suit is not allowed typically.
  • And whether Nello is allowed by all (usually) or only the last bidder.
  • No Splash or Plunge bids - sometimes only allowed with stuck bids so not necessary when that is not the case
  • Stacking - you need to say up front whether stacking is required or not for 1/2 mark hands or whether it is optional to the winning bidder. Stacking should never be done for normal 30-41 bids.
  • Walking/Lay Down - whether you can walk or lay down dominoes or have to play it out

Variants of high bids 30-41 or 1/2 marks that are typically ALLOWED:

• No Trump or Follow Me (or Doubles High)
  • Doubles a Suit of their own (special version of No Trump)
  • Doubles as Trump (Double are a sut of their own, but also Trumps)

Might be more that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Need to at least address all of those variants.

MarkItZero
AG
My interest is definitely piqued for this. My neighbor plays too and I checked and he's available also that day.

I'm an old ('89) and don't use Facebook, so I'll just lurk here for more info. We'll be coming from Plano.
wayneph
AG
Glad I thought to post here. I'd like to have any/all that are interested come out. I've created a little survey that I've posted a couple places to try and figure out what interest level different people are at. Feel free to take it and pass it along to any one else.

Ran into a small snag with the location for the 5th, but should have it tomorrow. Looking like it will be near 183/121 intersection in Bedford. I'll add the location as soon as I get it.

As far as the rules go, I've run a couple tournaments before too and definitely agree that they need to be well defined up front so that everyone knows what to expect. My default has become the rules used by National 42 Player's Association for their tournaments. (Mainly so I don't have to try and keep track as I switch back and forth between tournaments.) I'd say the rules are at least 95% in line with what you listed.
--wayne '01
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I am of a different age--learned to play as a child in far West Texas and as I moved around the state, found different clubs had different rules. Played in a couples club that met monthly for a while and rotated through tables. It was fun.

The above comments about being highly specific about rules is a for sure thing.
wayneph
AG
So... When I picked the date for the tournament, I didn't account for all the places having Cinco de Mayo parties going on. We're still doing the Tournament, but it has been rescheduled for Sunday May 20th at 3:00. We are planning to play at Bedford Icehouse (2250 Airport Fwy #300).

Hopefully anyone that couldn't make the 5th can make this new date. Remember to pass this and the Survey on to anyone else in the Metroplex that you know who pays 42.
--wayne '01
PlanoAg98
AG
I tried organizing this before but didn't get much participation and my schedule is too busy. I'll jump on board someone else organizing it though. I've marked it on my calendar and will help spread the word. Hopefully I'm done with spring yard work by then
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.