Metroplex
Sponsored by

plan for big empty lot on Henderson Ave approved

1,721 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2018/04/11/henderson-avenue-makeover-wins-dallas-city-council-approval

That big empty space between Chubbie's and Glencoe Ave on the north side of Henderson is going to be turned into something.

Quote:

The 4.5-acre development will be located along the north side of Henderson between Glencoe Street to McMillan Ave. Since the City Plan Commission approved it last June, the buildings have been scaled back both in height and size during negotiations with residents and city officials.

The square footage has been cut twice from 190,000 square feet to the 156,000-square-foot project that was approved Wednesday. That breaks down to about 72,500 square feet of office, 72,000 square feet of retail and 12,000 square feet of restaurant space. The total retail space is equivalent to the size of a traditional supermarket, but the plan is to have several small shops facing Henderson.
walton91
I think I like this. I'm not very familiar with this plan but I like that the developers worked/listened to local residents on the scale of the project. Also like that it will bring more retail to Henderson, as that area could use more than just bars. Hope the actual build out comes up to the street and isn't a suburban style development fronted by a huge parking lot
752bro4
AG
Hopefully the city will fix the Henderson Ave pothole issue. There aren't many (if any) side streets that have so many attractions/restaurants/retail that has as bad of an issue. From Belmont to Ross, it's like navigating a battlefield.
walton91
I wouldn't be surprised if the city gives Henderson or parts of it a Lowest Greenville style treatment
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I don't like the additional cars it's going to push down McMillan, I am glad we it was atleast scaled back but it will have a 750 car parking garage. I'd like them to widen Henderson some to handle the estimated 6500 extra cars.
bagger05
AG
I'd like to see them reduce the size of Henderson, route all the traffic to an expanded Fitzhugh, and make Henderson super pedestrian-friendly.

I know it's not going to happen but if I could snap my fingers and magically "fix" the traffic on Henderson this would be my solution.
walton91
Not sure how you reduce a 2 lane road, unless you are talking about making it pedestrian only. With good design there is plenty of room to move the cars and to be pedestrian friendly. I would like to see it designed similar to Magnolia Ave in Ft Worth with 2 travel lanes and a center turn lane, with the wide sidewalks for pedestrians and bike lanes. Neither Henderson nor Magnolia is a thoroughfare. They are pretty similar in location (residential area) and function (nightlife, food, some retail) and both are very popular destinations
YouBet
AG
walton91 said:

I think I like this. I'm not very familiar with this plan but I like that the developers worked/listened to local residents on the scale of the project. Also like that it will bring more retail to Henderson, as that area could use more than just bars. Hope the actual build out comes up to the street and isn't a suburban style development fronted by a huge parking lot
You can see the planned renderings as links within the link. No parking lots are planned street side. There was an underground parking garage at one point and parking in the rear.
hatchback
AG
Renderings from the architect's website:

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It looks pretty good
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.