Metroplex
Sponsored by

What is the next Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc.?

5,356 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rice and Fries
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I generally like the Frisco area (pretty nice new homes that are close to pretty nice, new "stuff" (gyms, grocery stores, etc.) in a well-planned, reasonably esthetic community), but the market is overpriced in my opinion. What do you see as the next place to fill this sort of role over the next 10 years, or at least another place that fits similar criteria? Melissa? Celina? How about a place like Rockwall?
AgLaw
AG
Just keep going north along the Tollway corridor.
FC12
We're in Frisco too. I feel like there will be a limit to how far north people are wanting to live if their jobs are in Dallas. I've heard rumors of Gunter being it but wow, I would hate that drive. I'm a fan of the area around Lantana. I could see that area developing more all the up to Denton around 35W.
752bro4
AG
I think it goes farther Northeast that just North.

Farmersville

It's not a terrible drive into McKinney, or Allen, or even NE Plano, where several business sub markets are popping up.
Duncan Idaho
Gentrification of Plano.

Only half kidding.
wbt5845
AG
Arlington!
cadetjay02
AG
I would guess it just keeps going up the tollway. People in Frisco and Prosper don't work in Dallas, the business is just moving north too. First it was Dallas, then the Northwest Highway area, then Addison, now it's Legacy. Once the NTTA pushes the tollway north of 380 then Celina will blow up. Prosper already has.

Maybe if Cody pops by he could enlighten us on when the tollway will move north again.
John Francis Donaghy
Duncan Idaho said:

Gentrification of Plano.

Only half kidding.

Agree. There's a ton of growth in the northern burbs, but there's still a ton in the city too. The Park Cities trend of buying old small houses and bulldozing them to build a new construction has moved north into Preston Hollow and far North Dallas, that trend will start to hit the older parts of Plano next.
ac04
prosper
AG
Or the bubble bursts and the next Frisco is Frisco
Post removed:
by user
txaggiefarmer05
AG
As far as the toll way goes, I haven't seen anything that makes me think it's anytime soon. I farm land along it in Celina, and no one has really been out surveying. More has been done pertaining to the 35/75 corridor than the DNT.

As far as the next Frisco, who knows. Prosper is surrounded and won't be as big, but will be nicer with larger lots. They want to be the next Southlake, or that was the goal 5 years ago. Celina will be huge, but they're going to stack em deep as far as houses go. Don't know about Melissa/Anna, I'm not in the loop over there.

I saw two very similar houses on a realtors website last week, one in Celina the other in Van Alstyne. The price? 840k in Celina, 340k in VA.
cadetjay02
AG
Most of the new neighborhoods in Prosper are packing them in.
Let me know if you need someone to come up and shoot some hogs if they are cause problems.
sanitariex
AG
We bought in Melissa a year and a half ago, and I could see the growth stretch beyond McKinney this direction because there's still new homes for a good value. But what I think is hurting Melissa is the infrastructure, which they're correcting on 121, but HWY 5 is a mess at times. We just passed 10,000 people and are just now putting stop lights in. The amount of population growth is far passing the road systems around here. Plus Anna drives through as well. They're building home after home, but not much business or commercial, yet.
3rd Platoon
AG
Prosper
MGS
FC12 said:

We're in Frisco too. I feel like there will be a limit to how far north people are wanting to live if their jobs are in Dallas. I've heard rumors of Gunter being it but wow, I would hate that drive. I'm a fan of the area around Lantana. I could see that area developing more all the up to Denton around 35W.
They won't need to drive to Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/03/26/planos-legacy-area-track-match-downtown-dallas-officeemployment
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
DNT will be extended through Celina within 10 years. Plans already exist.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly. A key factoid from that article:
Quote:

At the end of 2017, there was more than 23 million square feet of office space in the Legacy and Frisco markets, about a half million square feet less offices than in downtown Dallas.
And growing.
FC12
Interesting. When my company relocated to DFW, they stuck the ivory tower in Plano and the engineering
And testing facility in Irving. I would much rather commute to Plano from Frisco but I do my fun design and testing work in Irving. I still wish they would have picked McKinney for everything.
FC12
robertf03 said:

I'm patiently waiting.
L8HIT
AG
Buddy of mine lives in Gunther at The Bridges and they only get Oklahoma news. Screw that, I'll stay in Frisco.
Ag In Ok
AG
Y'all keep sprawling to Oklahoma, we will hold the southern edge.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
L8HIT said:

Buddy of mine lives in Gunther at The Bridges and they only get Oklahoma news. Screw that, I'll stay in Frisco.
I grew up not far from The Bridges before The Bridges was even a thing and we always got the Dallas news with good ol' rabbit ears in the attic. The ones you could buy at the dollar store. And we lived in a much lower elevation than The Bridges too!
Post removed:
by user
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Ardmore ....the next Plano
Matsui
AG
Is anything booming east or west or south of Dallas?
planoaggie123
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Gentrification of Plano.

Only half kidding.
I am somewhat wondering about this as well.

There are a TON of homes off Legacy that is just east by a few miles of the headquarters of some of the largest corporations in DFW / Texas / US (including mine).

I sort of jokingly tell my wife that some VP/Executive could potentially buy our house and demolish it and re-build what they want and only have a 5 / 10 min commute (even with hitting each light on your way to the office) and be surrounded by tons of restaurants / shopping / etc. With Legacy West and other developments just north (Star), it really is starting to rival what you would find in the Uptown / Downtown Dallas / Highland Park area as far as "entertainment." I love our location for all those reasons...my biggest negative is I work near downtown so I wouldn't mind moving south some but I feel like home and land values could potentially continue to increase (don't see many scenarios where they wouldn't at a minimum stay where they are which is WAY up from when we bought about 8 years ago).
AgLaw
AG
Matsui said:

Lots of new homes popping up along I-30 corridor heading east (Rockwall, Fate and Royce City).
Texker
AG
AgLaw said:

Matsui said:

Lots of new homes popping up along I-30 corridor heading east (Rockwall, Fate and Royce City).
Yeah, that area is definitely gaining momentum. It's already started but I think the new Buc-ee's will ignite the Melissa/Anna area.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
As far as size of city (or town when it comes to Prosper), Frisco is geographically huge, Prosper is quite small, and Celina is huge. I'd say the next boom from a population standpoint will be Celina because of it's Northern location along future DNT, and because it can accommodate a large population. Tollway supposed to be through that area within 10 years.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
khaos288
AG
robertf03 said:

We've been looking at home there. You would be surprised at how long overpriced homes are sitting on the market. I've seen some move from high 300s all the way to low 300s, and still sit.

People are realizing there is no reason to over pay.

That's my dream
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
752bro4 said:

I think it goes farther Northeast that just North.

Farmersville

It's not a terrible drive into McKinney, or Allen, or even NE Plano, where several business sub markets are popping up.
I commute from McKinney to Farmersville. The opposite drive is getting pretty bad as Princeton grows. 380 is a mess. There are plans to extend Spur 399 to the East side of Princeton, which I think would make Farmersville and Princeton boom, but until that happens, I can't see 380 supporting the traffic.

tclub
Trophy club, Roanoke and northlake.
AgLaw
AG
Texker said:

AgLaw said:

Matsui said:

Yeah, that area is definitely gaining momentum. It's already started but I think the new Buc-ee's will ignite the Melissa/Anna area.

There's a Buc-ees going in at Royce City, as well. That said, the I-30 corridor is light years behind Collin County in terms of growth and momentum.
Rice and Fries
planoaggie123 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Gentrification of Plano.

Only half kidding.
I am somewhat wondering about this as well.

There are a TON of homes off Legacy that is just east by a few miles of the headquarters of some of the largest corporations in DFW / Texas / US (including mine).

I sort of jokingly tell my wife that some VP/Executive could potentially buy our house and demolish it and re-build what they want and only have a 5 / 10 min commute (even with hitting each light on your way to the office) and be surrounded by tons of restaurants / shopping / etc. With Legacy West and other developments just north (Star), it really is starting to rival what you would find in the Uptown / Downtown Dallas / Highland Park area as far as "entertainment." I love our location for all those reasons...my biggest negative is I work near downtown so I wouldn't mind moving south some but I feel like home and land values could potentially continue to increase (don't see many scenarios where they wouldn't at a minimum stay where they are which is WAY up from when we bought about 8 years ago).
This is one of the biggest reasons why the wife and I just decided to buy in West Plano near Legacy. All these demand drivers pushing the area to grow and become a northern Dallas CBD.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.