Metroplex
Sponsored by

Areas to live in McKinney area

5,348 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiereggie
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I ('12 &'10) are looking to move to the McKinney area for work and we are looking to live near other families our age with young ones (we have a 2 and 2 month old) and looking to add another one in a few years.

What areas have young families, good school, and relatively close to amenities/activities for kids (if neighborhood includes it even better)?

I lived in McKinney growing up but it has changed so much since I lived there.

I reached out to McKinney A&M club and awaiting their response but I'd like some input from Texags as well.

We are open to living in areas other than McKinney but we would want it to be in an area relatively close to McKinney (Prosper, Melissa, Anna, etc)

tl1127
AG
Wife and I (both '12) live in the Reserve at Westridge and like it. There's tons of families here (we've got an almost 6 month old), a stocked pond, and multiple pools. We've been here ~2.5 years, and the neighborhood is finally about complete. This area is full of new neighborhoods and has good proximity to 121, DNT, and 380. We're Prosper ISD, but the neighborhood is split between Prosper and Frisco ISDs. Feel free to email me at <username>ag at gmail if you have any questions about this area.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I own a brokerage based in Prosper and have helped tons of buyers in all the areas you mentioned. If it's helpful to you, give me a shout on my cell of 972-365-0432 or email of Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com.

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
TresPuertas
AG
The entire city West Of Highway 5.

I'm not kidding. That's all Mckinney is
cadetjay02
AG
I would start at Stonebridge Ranch and look at The Westridge area too. Budget is a big consideration as well. I live in Prosper but honestly I'm not a fan, would rather be back in Frisco or west Mckinney but still in Frisco ISD.
TennAg
Be sure to check out the north McKinney/Melissa area. That area is really on the precipice (rosengarden protected) of change. If you're not in a hurry, you may want to research the very large, new Honeycreek development in the works. The Trinity Falls area is going to be nice and from what I hear a very tight-nit community already.

We live in and really like Melissa. For now it has a small town feel but is just a couple minutes from everything McKinney offers. Either way, much of McKinney has a dated feel to it and the northern area has a lot of potential. With the lack of sales tax base McKinney has, it will likely be the epicenter of shopping, entertainment, etc along with all the new master planned communities that are on paper.
duck79
AG
Howdy neighbor. Been in the reserve for about 10 years. We love the neighborhood.
dragons06
AG
Im in Reserve as well thanks to Cody! Do yourself a favor and reach out to him.
aggiereggie
AG
We currently live off Alma and Stacy and enjoy the Craig Ranch area very much. We have a 3 yr old and 4 mth old. We pay Mckinney taxes but are zoned to Frisco ISD. Lots of families with school age kids.

I would love to get together with other Aggie families in the area!
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Thanks so much for the shout out!
jtraggie99
AG
aggiereggie said:

We currently live off Alma and Stacy and enjoy the Craig Ranch area very much. We have a 3 yr old and 4 mth old. We pay Mckinney taxes but are zoned to Frisco ISD. Lots of families with school age kids.

Just moved to the Craig Ranch North area about a month ago. After living for a long time right around the Bush and North Dallas Tollway area, it's been a nice change. I have two kids as well, 16 year old girl and 8 year old boy. They go to school in Plano, though, where their mom lives.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Check out the Lovejoy area as well (Lucas, Fairview, small part of McKinney).

Bigger lots and great schools.
Ken Adams
AG
We're going to check out that area this weekend. We live in Plano now so my commute would go up a little so we're hoping we like the area enough to cancel that out. Would be nice to know a couple good Ags in that area!
CrawlingNo5
AG
I live in Heatherwood. Lake forest and bloomdale. Prosper isd.

i like it out here. Right at the edge of country and surburbia.
TexasAggies06
AG
jtraggie99 said:

aggiereggie said:

Just moved to the Craig Ranch North area about a month ago. After living for a long time right around the Bush and North Dallas Tollway area, it's been a nice change. I have two kids as well, 16 year old girl and 8 year old boy. They go to school in Plano, though, where their mom lives.
Just out of curiosity, what has been a nice change? I'm in the Bush/Tollway area right now and have considered making this same move.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
We live downtown, which is a pretty fun area.
Home values are getting ridiculous in the area. But I guess that's everywhere now. I'm just bitter since the CollinCAD appraisal just came out.
jtraggie99
AG
TexasAggies06 said:

jtraggie99 said:

aggiereggie said:

Just out of curiosity, what has been a nice change? I'm in the Bush/Tollway area right now and have considered making this same move.

Well, to elaborate, I had lived in that area for quite some time. First moved there after finishing another degree at UNT in 2004. Former roomate and good friend from A&M, him and his wife lived in that area, so I kind of ended up there by default. Lived there until moving to Los Angles in 2007 for 3 years. Moved back from LA and ended up in the same area again. My wife (at the time) and I ended up buying a house on Briargrove in 2012, only to sell it in 2014 during a divorce. We both stayed in that area initially, renting, due to the kids schools. She ended up buying a house in Plano around Legacy and Coit in 2016. We switched my sons elementary school to the one she was zoned to, which was a good move. My daughter is at Shepton now, but will be heading to Plano West next year.

Anyway, I just say all of that to explain I had lived in that area for a long time. That said, all the growth had made that area unbearable for me. The traffic and congestion was always a pain. And the explosion in home prices didn't help.

Where I am at in McKinney, despite a little bit of a drive to the kids schools, has been nice....much quieter and peaceful. Newer homes for less than what you can get in Plano and far north Dallas. And some of it is more personal, like the fact that I am no longer renting, and I have a place to myself that I enjoy and can do what I want with. My office is off Preston and Macullum (in between Frankford and Campbell), but I almost always work from home these days, so any commute was a non-factor.

The DFW area is more and more resembling LA to me, from the sprawling cities to the traffic. People talk about wanting to live in Dallas proper and avoid the suburbs, which may be great if you work downtown or inside the city. But there has been so much commercial and business growth in the burbs, if you don't work in Dallas proper, why live there and pay the higher prices? Just my opinion. Outside of going out with friends on the weekends from time to time, my day to day is pretty much in Plano and this area. Initially, I thought this was too far north for me, but I'm very happy I ended up looking in this area.
TexasAggies06
AG
Thanks for the insight. I agree that it is sort of a madhouse in this area and does seem more peaceful up a little farther north.
Texker
AG
The kids are grown so we're making a move from Canyon Creek to the east or possibly north. CC house officially on the market in the next week or two (coming soon sign already in the yard.) City of Richardson but in Collin County so PISD schools. (Aldridge-Wilson-Vines-Plano Senior)
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Texker said:

The kids are grown so we're making a move from Canyon Creek to the east or possibly north. CC house officially on the market in the next week or two (coming soon sign already in the yard.) City of Richardson but in Collin County so PISD schools. (Aldridge-Wilson-Vines-Plano Senior)

Deets on the house?
Ken Adams
AG
Just an update from my earlier post and wanted to share some fun news! We looked at a house in the Craig ranch north area and loved it and we're now under contract. It's a little more north than we thought we'd ever move but we're liking the area more and more each time we drive around and explore.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Who are all of you in the reserve?!? I'm on old eagle river.

Lots of kids in the neighborhood but a good mix of people. I have 3.5 year old and 7 month old. The pools and pond are awesome for the kiddos.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Been looking at some homes in westridge for our relocation up to that area.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Been looking at some homes in westridge for our relocation up to that area.

Feel free to give me a shout, can give you lowdown on area.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Nice area from what I've seen. We plan to drive through on our next trip up there
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I have quite a few clients in Westridge with almost all positive reviews. If you need to know about the area, feel free to ping me. 972-365-0432 or Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

jtraggie99
AG
mattmb917 said:

Just an update from my earlier post and wanted to share some fun news! We looked at a house in the Craig ranch north area and loved it and we're now under contract. It's a little more north than we thought we'd ever move but we're liking the area more and more each time we drive around and explore.

Congrats man! And welcome to the neighborhood, assuming it all pans out! By the way, that intersection at Custer and Silverado is a beast most of the time. Getting out of their to go south on Custer can be a major challenge. Fortunately, I read recently they are scheduled to put in a traffic signal there, I believe by early fall.
aggiereggie
AG
any interest in an aggie family gathering/meet and greet with the kiddos in tow? thinking maybe hatcreek on custer?
khaos288
AG
Moving to this area soon.

Westridge is on our list. Dominion at Panther creek is a great looking spot as well.
cadetjay02
AG
Those are both nice, another one to consider might be Hunters Creek just north of 121 at Custer and Rolater.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
We'd be in. 3.5 yr old and an 8 month old.
twilly
AG
cadetjay02 said:

Those are both nice, another one to consider might be Hunters Creek just north of 121 at Custer and Rolater.
I'll second this. Been there since '06 and we've loved it.
cadetjay02
AG
Have you had any kids go through Liberty?
twilly
AG
cadetjay02 said:

Have you had any kids go through Liberty?
Not yet, still a couple of years away. Top notch school though,
cadetjay02
AG
I've got 2 boys at Isbell, one heads to Vandeventer next year. I teach at Liberty so maybe our paths will cross when yours get up there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.