Metroplex
Sponsored by

Blackfriar will be next....

13,150 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by walton91
Street_Cred_Norm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To close down and become apartments when it's lease is up according to a high ranking employee. Uptown is going to be nothing but living quarters at some point it seems.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
Carlo4
AG
And when my dad grew up in "uptown" in the 60s, they were affirdable suburban homes.

I'm sure 50 years from now it will be nothing like it is today. Life is crazy!
Post removed:
by user
Duncan Idaho
Where are the cool kids going these days?

Street_Cred_Norm
Bottled blonde, Backyard and Deep Ellum
riverrataggie
AG
Lots of people go to uptown. Not I. But it's crazier now than it's ever been.
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

and Deep Ellum

Thats a bummer. Uptown was always a good d0uchebag internment camp keeping the rest of Dallas enjoyable.
Street_Cred_Norm
Deep Ellum has been invaded by the Uptown ******. I dare to say it's busier than uptown on Friday and Saturdays by quite a bit.
walton91
Street_Cred_Norm said:

Deep Ellum has been invaded by the Uptown ******.

Yes it has. Deep Ellum is home to two of Dallas' douchiest bars, according to Central Track
https://www.centraltrack.com/the-douchiest-bars-in-dallas-updated/
Duncan Idaho
So the Dallas nightlife cycle of life continues.

An area will be popular with the young professional crown then it becomes over run by the olds and poors then the young professionals move on to another location. And so on until they are back to the start

Over my time it has rotated between
Addison of all places
Deep ellum
Lower Greenville
Uptown
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
When was it Addison? Pre 2005?
Street_Cred_Norm
It was Addison(2000) until uptown exploded with the likes of sfuzzi and such so up until 2010ish .
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

early 2000s until Tons Roms stopped hanging out at Blackfin.

If you long for the days of the affliction black shirt Addison crowd check out any bar in the shops of legacy

Keep in mind the bulk of todays "cool" places were really scary in 2000. If I knew then where I'd be living now I would assume things were going poorly
Street_Cred_Norm
Sam's boat was one of my favorite places ever.
walton91
Duncan Idaho said:

So the Dallas nightlife cycle of life continues.

An area will be popular with the young professional crown then it becomes over run by the olds and poors then the young professionals move on to another location. And so on until they are back to the start

Over my time it has rotated between
Addison of all places
Deep ellum
Lower Greenville
Uptown

I think the creep of Uptown into Deep Ellum has more to do with Uptown being almost completely built out, and having the highest real estate prices in the city. I doubt there is any lot big enough, and affordable enough, for a Bottled Blonde. Deep Ellum, while a hot neighborhood, has both available space and affordable real estate compared to Uptown
AG
So more epic types are on the way? I kind of miss the old days of running for my life to the car after leaving gypsy tea room
Duncan Idaho
robertf03 said:

If you long for the days of the affliction black shirt Addison crowd check out any bar in the shops of legacy

Keep in mind the bulk of todays "cool" places were really scary in 2000. If I knew then where I'd be living now I would assume things were going poorly

That was kind of the cycle. They would be scary or dead, then they would get hot, then after a couple of years it would be over taken by the Dallas equivalent of the "bridge and tunnel" crowd and a new place would be found.
Ag CPA
AG
I think this is the third go round for Deep Ellum since I moved up here; the inevitable crime keeps the cycles shorter there than other areas of the city but it always bounces back.
double aught
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

To close down and become apartments when it's lease is up according to a high ranking employee. Uptown is going to be nothing but living quarters at some point it seems.
I hated seeing the Idle Rich go.
double aught
AG
walton91 said:

Street_Cred_Norm said:

Deep Ellum has been invaded by the Uptown ******.

Yes it has. Deep Ellum is home to two of Dallas' douchiest bars, according to Central Track
https://www.centraltrack.com/the-douchiest-bars-in-dallas-updated/
Clutch
Stirr

With names like those, they have no choice but to be douchy.
Sling Blade
AG
With all the new bars in Downtown..it'll be the next hot spot this summer.
walton91
Duncan Idaho said:

robertf03 said:

That was kind of the cycle. They would be scary or dead, then they would get hot, then after a couple of years it would be over taken by the Dallas equivalent of the "bridge and tunnel" crowd and a new place would be found.

To be honest, the biggest reason for the past "cycles" is that Dallas was a vastly different city back then compared to today. By the late 90's the urban core of Dallas had hollowed out. No one lived downtown. Uptown didn't exist. Cedars or Design District? Forget it. Deep Ellum for all its fame for nightlife had very few people actually living there, so the nightlife crowd could /would get scared off by a spike in crime. Today, downtown is its own neighborhood where around 10k call home. Uptown is the most densely populated part of the city. Deep Ellum is getting close to a critical mass of residents that will sustain those businesses even in down times. The point is, is that people actually live in the core areas of Dallas again. Hot parts of town have more resiliency now due to their home residents sustaining them year round rather than relying on weekend crowds.
Street_Cred_Norm
He's right. The young partiers lived in the village or the area around Skillman/Abrams. Now, they live all around the downtown area including oak cliff and Southside. Our city has changed so much.
Duncan Idaho
It has changed enough that I've gone from only living in Dallas due to inertia to only really hating the weather (granted I would hate the weather in Houston more) and really loving my neighborhood. I honestly don't think I could take a job in a similarly sized city and afford to live in as great of a neighborhood.
DallasAggie0
They are just going to build apartments with bars and retail on the lower level. Uptown has become less crowded in the past several years mainly IMO, because of white flight. The area has become a lot more diverse at night and people don't like it.

It'll come back around though. Deep ellum fuggin sucks and that trend will die. Way too much traffic, overcrowded bars, hobos on every corner, not within walking distance of apartments, and crime.
Street_Cred_Norm
DallasAggie0 said:

It'll come back around though. Deep ellum fuggin sucks and that trend will die. Way too much traffic, overcrowded bars, hobos on every corner, not within walking distance of apartments, and crime.

Um when is the last time you have been to D E? There are apartments all around D E and more are being built as we speak.
Duncan Idaho
DallasAggie0 said:

Deep ellum fuggin sucks and that trend will die. Way too much traffic, overcrowded bars, hobos on every corner, not within walking distance of apartments, and crime.

You could literally have made this post in 1993, 1999, a few times during the 2000's
FincAg
AG
This article seems apropos.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2018/04/05/deep-ellum-reborn-again-stirring-fresh-fears-spirit-will-lost-dallas-growth
walton91
DallasAggie0 said:

Deep ellum fuggin sucks and that trend will die. Way too much traffic, overcrowded bars, hobos on every corner, not within walking distance of apartments, and crime.

Literally all of DE is within walking distance of apartments. Despite your description, traffic and crowds in bars is a sign of a healthy neighborhood and business environment, hence the article in the DMN linked above
Ag CPA
AG
walton91 said:

DallasAggie0 said:

Literally all of DE is within walking distance of apartments. Despite your description, traffic and crowds in bars is a sign of a healthy neighborhood and business environment, hence the article in the DMN linked above
I think that has always been part of the problem; that area needs some more gentrification to be frank.
YouBet
AG
That's a bummer. I watched some world cup games there last time around and had a good time.

It has been interesting to watch the evolution of Uptown go from all white to extremely diverse to the point that several bars are almost exclusively black. I inadvertently walked into a bar hosting a fund raising event for a black liberal judge. I stayed because there was a dog sitting at the bar and I figured what a way to spend hh. Great people watching while drinking with a dog.
ChoppinDs40
AG
DallasAggie0 said:

They are just going to build apartments with bars and retail on the lower level. Uptown has become less crowded in the past several years mainly IMO, because of white flight. The area has become a lot more diverse at night and people don't like it.

The white flight thing is 100% true. Uber changed the game. Uptown used to be a neighborhood where yuppies played and lived. Now, las calinas IT types and south garlands' finest make their way in droves to Tate's and the like. All of my friends that still live down that way have moved to cedars, lower Greenville, gayborhood or a little further up the toll.

I loved when uptown only had about 4 buildIngs over 6 stories. Tall buildings suck.
Street_Cred_Norm
Tates, along with sidebar, are two of the main bars that have turned mostly black.
500,000ags
AG
The amount of beggars in Deep Ellum is annoying. It's worse there than anywhere else in D/FW. And now they run around on the damn bikes that require a smart phone. I came out of Big Guys C&R and walked to my apartment - nagged 2x for money and 1x for my food. There is one guy that literally sits on a bucket at the corner by Pecan Lodge. When people are outside eating, he asks for $20/lb BBQ. He's out there almost every day it's open.
AG
I think its worse in downtown fort worth, especially near the northern of the two 7-11s
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.